Thread: New excellent cheap Attenuator

Bounty Hunter's Kentucky Waterfall Dark and stormy night-ranger
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Location 台灣, 高雄 Not that anyone can read that....
    Posts 2,004
    Rep Power 103944019

Default New excellent cheap Attenuator

For those of you have have non master volume guitar amps or just love the amp sound when cranked, I recommend the Alex Attenuator as an alternative to the Faustine Phantom (900USD).

For 400 beans, the Alex Attenuator's quality and sound is right next the Faustine. It is for intents and purposes as good except for the FAustine having a variable load selector which is a pricy option, but cool.

The Alex Attenuator just comes in whatever one ohm load you need. ANYTHING else I have tried doesn't come close besides the Faustine of course (which is the grand daddy of attenuators) to keeping the the amp's natural overall character, saturation etc.
    The Aracom, the Ultimate Attenuator, Airbrake, Hotplate are all not as good imo.... and they're about 600-750USD

I am glad I bought it!
    London Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft Space Station pet
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Getting smaller every day
    Posts 3,267
    Rep Power 489494621

Default Re: New excellent cheap Attenuator

The problem with all attenuators, and it can't be avoided, is that they only really work to make very small adjustments. If you attenuate too much, it just sounds like shit. The speaker and the cabinet don't move enough to sound right. They also don't tend to load the output transformer right, so they sound wrong.

Gabriel
    Living Car Free since 05/25/2007

Hoffman Guitars

My Guitars

The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is that vampires are allergic to bullshit!!
    Richard Pryor
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Posts 2,004
    Rep Power 103944019

agreed.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Easter Island
    Posts 2,355
    Rep Power 536871119

Re: New excellent cheap Attenuator

The problem with all attenuators, and it can't be avoided, is that they only really work to make very small adjustments. If you attenuate too much, it just sounds like shit. The speaker and the cabinet don't move enough to sound right. They also don't tend to load the output transformer right, so they sound wrong.

Gabriel

Something I have been complaining about since the Carter White House.

For many of the poorer kids, older "no pre/master" heads were all they could afford on the used market back then. If ya didn't fancy a "Stomp box" front end like an MXR Distortion+ you were basically fucked for small room rehearsal. Or most places you might expect to perform for that matter.

Enter the Altaire PowerSoak, THD/HotPlate, Marshall PowerBrake, Sholtz and the like.

None of them ever sounded right to my ears and some would melt heads, or fry themselves, or BOTH. Usually at the worst possible moments. Like when you finally DID use them on an actual paying gig.

And even when you used them "as directed". Which was always a sketchy and vaguely voodoo combination of what the manufacturers "claimed" and local folk wisdoms of cats who'd "been there done that".

Fucking nightmare.

This is where I first started to get a handle on the concepts of speaker excursion and cabinet involvement that I bored the shit outta everybody with, in SDGFH.

Not even from a recording standpoint... Just watching poor bastards in my various rock bands go through hell trying to get some kinda legit tone going without overpowering stage volume.

SM.
    Kill me. No really. Just fucking kill me.
    Little River Band on The Run Internet Meme
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,409
    Rep Power 536871254

I have zero problems with my Hot plate in the UniValve. Serves me well and doesn't change the tone out of the comfort zone.
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Posts 2,004
    Rep Power 103944019

I have zero problems with my Hot plate in the UniValve. Serves me well and doesn't change the tone out of the comfort zone.

Hotplate, .....not for me....

to each their own...
    Garden variety weasel...has ripped flesh. Studied for urine test
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Posts 522
    Rep Power 536871023

One thing I never quite understood is - and please correct me, for the odds of being wrong are great - but, historically, the whole deal about full stacks was that sound reinforcement systems of that day couldn't cope very well with having every instrument amplified through them (intermodulation distortion? not a lot of headroom?), and so the guitar rig would have to be a self-contained system capable move enough air as to rock the venue all by itself, right? Or was it just Pete Townsend's responsibility?

My question is, why didn't things evolve towards smaller amps whose speakers would be rated for less power (breaking up sooner) and poweramps that could be cranked for that sweet meaty tone, without decapitating the first rows of attendees?

Rehearsal rooms, recording studios, small clubs or even bigger stages - wouldn't all these environments benefit from being able to produce good tone at lower volume?
    Professional Crastinator
    London Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft Space Station pet
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Getting smaller every day
    Posts 3,267
    Rep Power 489494621

[QUOTE=johnnywellas;299750]One thing I never quite understood is - and please correct me, for the odds of being wrong are great - but, historically, the whole deal about full stacks was that sound reinforcement systems of that day couldn't cope very well with having every instrument amplified through them (intermodulation distortion? not a lot of headroom?), and so the guitar rig would have to be a self-contained system capable move enough air as to rock the venue all by itself, right? Or was it just Pete Townsend's responsibility? [/url]

As I understand it, it was more that no one thought to put guitars, bass, etc through the PA. They were smaller systems, and the guys running them tended to be electrical engineers, not musicians. Also, before cheap semi-conductors came along, there is a real limit to the number of channels you can sum with a vacuum tube. Combine that with a lack of understanding of the physics of speakers, at least by the people using them, and it just wasn't really practical. Even when people started thinking more creatively about it, it took awhile to arrive at what we now consider "normal." The Grateful Dead's "Wall of Sound" system had separate line arrays for each of the instruments, and a cluster for the vocals. They were still basically making the guitar amps bigger.

At least, that is how one of my teachers at Berklee explained it, and he was there at the time so I assume he knows what he is talking about.

My question is, why didn't things evolve towards smaller amps whose speakers would be rated for less power (breaking up sooner) and poweramps that could be cranked for that sweet meaty tone, without decapitating the first rows of attendees?

Rehearsal rooms, recording studios, small clubs or even bigger stages - wouldn't all these environments benefit from being able to produce good tone at lower volume?
    There is, these days. Almost every boutique amp builder is making a really expensive (and really nice) small amp these days.

But there is a trade off. Low frequencies take more power to reproduce, so when you start using smaller amps you will tend to either loose low end, or if you try to compensate for it in the design the low end will get kind of flabby sounding. They can still sound great, but they will not sound the same, so if you are trying to recreate the sound of such and such `70's Guitar God, you're going to struggle with less than 100 Watts.

Add to this, in order to get half the volume of a 100 watt amp, you are using a 10 Watt amp (a drop of ≈10 dBSPL), which in most people's minds is equated with something like a Fender Champ - i.e., a student model amp - and most people don't feel they should be on stage playing through a student model amp. Plus, it is almost impossible to get good feedback from a 10-25 Watt amp. I love my 18 watt, but I have to have my guitar about 2" from the grill before it starts to howl!

And then, of course, there is the whole Rock `N Roll cock size fight that most guitar players seem to be obsessed with.

Steve Miller started using a 25 watt amp on stage back in the seventies, for just this reason.

Gabriel
    Living Car Free since 05/25/2007

Hoffman Guitars

My Guitars

The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is that vampires are allergic to bullshit!!
    Richard Pryor
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Posts 2,004
    Rep Power 103944019

[QUOTE=G. Hoffman;299867]
    One thing I never quite understood is - and please correct me, for the odds of being wrong are great - but, historically, the whole deal about full stacks was that sound reinforcement systems of that day couldn't cope very well with having every instrument amplified through them (intermodulation distortion? not a lot of headroom?), and so the guitar rig would have to be a self-contained system capable move enough air as to rock the venue all by itself, right? Or was it just Pete Townsend's responsibility? [/url]

As I understand it, it was more that no one thought to put guitars, bass, etc through the PA. They were smaller systems, and the guys running them tended to be electrical engineers, not musicians. Also, before cheap semi-conductors came along, there is a real limit to the number of channels you can sum with a vacuum tube. Combine that with a lack of understanding of the physics of speakers, at least by the people using them, and it just wasn't really practical. Even when people started thinking more creatively about it, it took awhile to arrive at what we now consider "normal." The Grateful Dead's "Wall of Sound" system had separate line arrays for each of the instruments, and a cluster for the vocals. They were still basically making the guitar amps bigger.

At least, that is how one of my teachers at Berklee explained it, and he was there at the time so I assume he knows what he is talking about.

There is, these days. Almost every boutique amp builder is making a really expensive (and really nice) small amp these days.

But there is a trade off. Low frequencies take more power to reproduce, so when you start using smaller amps you will tend to either loose low end, or if you try to compensate for it in the design the low end will get kind of flabby sounding. They can still sound great, but they will not sound the same, so if you are trying to recreate the sound of such and such `70's Guitar God, you're going to struggle with less than 100 Watts.

Add to this, in order to get half the volume of a 100 watt amp, you are using a 10 Watt amp (a drop of ≈10 dBSPL), which in most people's minds is equated with something like a Fender Champ - i.e., a student model amp - and most people don't feel they should be on stage playing through a student model amp. Plus, it is almost impossible to get good feedback from a 10-25 Watt amp. I love my 18 watt, but I have to have my guitar about 2" from the grill before it starts to howl!

And then, of course, there is the whole Rock `N Roll cock size fight that most guitar players seem to be obsessed with.

Steve Miller started using a 25 watt amp on stage back in the seventies, for just this reason.

Gabriel
    I love my friends 60's Fender Champ. Simply. Tiny 6-8 inch speaker, throw a MAxon Tube Screamer in front (there is no discernible bass cut with that amp that typical with the design of the classic tube screamer circuit). Sounds on fire!
    Tainted Love Potion Number Nine Mallory's missing camera
    Join Date Jul 2008
    Location Mars Colony
    Posts 5,049
    Rep Power 536871188

I have the Weber thingy, whatever it's called, with the actual speaker coil inside a little metal box. Vibrates pretty badly as you increase the load. It's been a while since I used it but I recall liking it better than the Marshall thingy.

I think it's sort of a debatable point whether you are losing more than just "power section tone" (or whatever you want to call it) by turning the volume down fairly low on an amp. It's possible you just need to drive the speakers harder, move more air, and pump more sound into the room to really get anything close to great electric guitar tone, regardless of how good your attenuator is.
    Hating Nickelback is the new liking Nickelback.

------------

Current status: Ignoring everybody on Facebook.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location salt lake city yeewtaw
    Posts 1,536
    Rep Power 536871092

i use a Weber Mass Lite.

2 attenuators in one: Low-Mids, and Mids-Highs.
    so instead of adding tone stacks to try to get back to the 'tone', you can choose how much low end to attenuate separately from the high end.

uses a speaker motor as part of the load.

it has worked flawlessly for me.

compared it against a wreck, scholz original power soak, marshall power brake, Thd hotplate, air brake.

the thing about this that trumps all the others:

$160.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Easter Island
    Posts 2,355
    Rep Power 536871119

i use a Weber Mass Lite.

compared it against a wreck, scholz original power soak, marshall power brake, Thd hotplate, air brake.

the thing about this that trumps all the others:

$160.

I gotta check this thing out now.

Might be time to get the Marshall Major outta mothballs.

SM.
    Kill me. No really. Just fucking kill me.
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Posts 2,004
    Rep Power 103944019

I gotta check this thing out now.

Might be time to get the Marshall Major outta mothballs.

SM.
    weber's ok, but the Alex and the FAustine are much better
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 1,536
    Rep Power 536871092

no, not much better... (purely subjective)

only, MUCH more expensive.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 1,536
    Rep Power 536871092

these things are the same theme, different variation...
    resistance, with eq.

the weber mass lite, uses an actual speaker motor, to create an active load.

much different response.

you should read up on it.

these things should not cost as much as an amplifier.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 1,536
    Rep Power 536871092

plus, the thing i like MOST about the mass lite..

it's actually two attenuators in one.

low end, needs a different attenuation than high end.

takes a lot of watts to crank low end, almost none for high..

so the 2 attenuators split freqs, between LOW_MIDS and MID_HIGH's.....

a simple brilliant way to deal with it.

makes the attenuation between low end and high end seperate of each other, and infinitely variable.
    works.
    Frustrated Chick Rock singer...now doing jazz standards poorly! Fletcher's prison bitch
    Join Date Jan 2009
    Location Clinton IA
    Posts 453
    Rep Power 536871029

My question is, why didn't things evolve towards smaller amps...
    For me, it's about tone. I never got a tone I liked from a speaker other than a 12". I have rarely liked the tone from anything other than a 4x12 cabinet, although I now have a 2x12 wedge with Eminence Governors (for big stages) that I really like. I have to admit that there is nothing cooler looking than a whole wall of cabinets, but it's about the sound above all, and I simply can't deal with the sound of small speakers.
    Garden variety weasel...has ripped flesh. Studied for urine test
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Posts 522
    Rep Power 536871023

Sure, I understand that. Thing is - 99% of times, the guitar sound that is heard out of wedge monitors and FOH comes from a close mic 1 inch away from one of the 4 12" speakers. Couldn't a 1x12" cabinet, with a speaker rated to say 25 or 30w, fed from a cranked low power amp serve the same purpose?

I'm all for great tone, but at a lower volume. It works better for everyone.
    Professional Crastinator
    Most friends are "on the inside". Wal-mart greeter
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location On the left coast
    Posts 689
    Rep Power 536871061

I first heard about this stuff when EVH was touting his "brown" sound. Well, he could make most anything sound good, but I think this method of attaining tone was misguided at best. Of course, many experimented with it because he endorsed it. I say swap the amp for one with a decent preamp gain and you get far better tone at low volume. [shrug]
    ȻΘϨ₸Θ₸HɖƓ
    a.k.a. Randy Brewer
    http://bespokerecording.com
    CAPE 10 - Team Witty Placard
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 14,276
    Rep Power 536871516

I first heard about this stuff when EVH was touting his "brown" sound.
    Actually, I believe EVH used Variacs - a completely different thing.

A Variac will allow you to alter the voltage going into the amp, causing the tubes to distort at lower levels.

I say swap the amp for one with a decent preamp gain and you get far better tone at low volume.
    Once again, different can of wormies. Preamp distortion will not give you the same sound as bringing power tube saturation into the equation, which is what using dummy loads/power soaks/attenuators will do. Decent preamp distortion will still be important however, no matter which solution you go with.

otek
    "Tube color is not the 'thing'. Why would the most linear amplifying device have a color?" - Jonte Knif