Thread: New excellent cheap Attenuator

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Easter Island
    Posts 2,355
    Rep Power 536871118

Default Re: New excellent cheap Attenuator

Bump(long story).

SM.
    Kill me. No really. Just fucking kill me.
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Location Northern Colorado
    Posts 971
    Rep Power 536870973

Thanks for the bump. It's like I don't even have to look for good information here, it just comes to me!

-r
    Sign Here

X________________________________________________
    Hates these rank titles! Thinks Alfred Einstein was a genius
    Join Date Nov 2009
    Location Ich bin Maroon!
    Posts 215
    Rep Power 301990046

The tech sure has moved on since 2011 and Faustine is no more iirc...

http://www.two-notes.com/en/hardware/torpedo-reload/ or one of it's siblings would be my 'weapon' of choice these days. I'm still rocking a Sequis Motherload but that doesn't give me re-amping options.

Andy_D
    shut up and play yer guitar...
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,780
    Rep Power 536871397

The tech sure has moved on since 2011 and Faustine is no more iirc...

http://www.two-notes.com/en/hardware/torpedo-reload/ or one of it's siblings would be my 'weapon' of choice these days. I'm still rocking a Sequis Motherload but that doesn't give me re-amping options.

Andy_D
    The Reload is the ideal combination of the devices you must have in a modern bedroom studio for the recording of electric guitars and basses: a power attenuator, a multi-impedance loadbox, a DI and re-amping box – it does it all and does it perfectly too.
    Fixed.

FWIW this gizmo is quite popular with the reamp crowd at The Purple Palace.
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Hates these rank titles! Thinks Alfred Einstein was a genius
    Join Date Nov 2009
    Location Ich bin Maroon!
    Posts 215
    Rep Power 301990046

You're correct John. If I had a shop then I'd probably not need one at all, sadly I am in a bedroom but I try to listen to the wisdom here and not the purple place!

What would use if you absolutely had to!?!
    shut up and play yer guitar...
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,780
    Rep Power 536871397

You're correct John. If I had a shop then I'd probably not need one at all, sadly I am in a bedroom but I try to listen to the wisdom here and not the purple place!

What would use if you absolutely had to!?!
    I dunno - I'd probably check it out if there's a local dealer.

Something else to consider is that Weber makes a reactive dummy load that uses an actual speaker motor assembly (minus cone) for the load.

I doesn't come with a built-in DI or a "reamp box (which I'm generally suspicious of) though - it's just a load with, IIRC, a line out jack.

It's just my personal prejudice, but I tend to be a bit leery of "all-in-one" solutions. However the Torpedo seems well received, from what I can tell.

Me, I own a bunch of small amps in the 1 watt to 15 watt range.

Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Posts 971
    Rep Power 536870973

Has anyone had any experience with the FDM speakers from Eminence?
    They allow you to vary the strength of the magnet on the coil, creating more or less resistance to movement. The increased resistance translates into less movement and less sound being produced.

It's still going to change how the speaker moves and how that movement interacts with the cab and room ... so I don't know that you could get the same exact sound that you get at full volume. But I thought it was interesting.

-r
    Sign Here

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 14,275
    Rep Power 536871515

They allow you to vary the strength of the magnet on the coil….
    So they are basically field coil devices?

otek
    "Tube color is not the 'thing'. Why would the most linear amplifying device have a color?" - Jonte Knif
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 11,614
    Rep Power 536871427

Either that or detachable PMs
    Man! You have GOT to try a hit of this RANGE SUNSHINE!

IMTBO = In My Thoroughly Biased Opinion
    CMIIW = Correct Me If I'm Wrong
    Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
    If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,780
    Rep Power 536871397

They allow you to vary the strength of the magnet on the coil, creating more or less resistance to movement. The increased resistance translates into less movement and less sound being produced.

It's still going to change how the speaker moves and how that movement interacts with the cab and room ... so I don't know that you could get the same exact sound that you get at full volume. But I thought it was interesting.

-r
    I dunno.... I can find nothing on their website that tells me anything at all about the principles involved - which makes me extremely suspicious and there's no way to tell without a live demo.

If they offered a money back, no questions asked demo policy I'd be really interested in seeing what it does - sans that, no.

It would be really nice if somebody from Eminence would enter the discussion with a straightforward, no PR-speak explanation of how this works.

But I doubt that's gonna happen. I'd love ti be pleasantly surprised.

Please, do tell....

Join Date Jan 2015
    Posts 971
    Rep Power 536870973

I couldn't find much either. A general statement that "the knob on back adjust the distance of the magnet from the coil" is all I've seen. And that wasn't from a company representative, it was in a guys review of his purchase.

I'm with you John. It would be nice if someone from Eminence could give a nuts and bolts explanation.
    We'll see.

-r
    Sign Here