Thread: Glad I have a Big Knob

Most friends are "on the inside". Skate America finalist
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location On the left coast
    Posts 686
    Rep Power 536871031

Sushi Glad I have a Big Knob

If I said that I am now a fan of the Big Knob, would you make assumptions about my, uh... er, em, preferences?

Installed the Mackie Big Knob in the studio today and I really like it. Since my board does not have a ton of options for control room management (1604 VLZ3), this seems to be a helpful addition for switching back and forth between speakers and headphones. Picked it up on the bay used and think it will be a nice addition.

But I really like the name.
    ȻΘϨ₸Θ₸HɖƓ
    quickanddirtyaudio.com
    CAPE 10 - Team Witty Placard
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 13,593
    Rep Power 536871463

Default Re: Glad I have a Big Knob

I'm not going to make any assumptions.

But to me, the Big Knob is a downgrade on any half-decent regular hifi preamp, and frequently more expensive.

otek
    "Tube color is not the 'thing'. Why would the most linear amplifying device have a color?" - Jonte Knif
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 686
    Rep Power 536871031

It's definately not a piece of gear I would consider buying new.
    ȻΘϨ₸Θ₸HɖƓ
    quickanddirtyaudio.com
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location ██████████
    Posts 6,404
    Rep Power 402653929

I have one of these. Completely passive except for the headphone amp... you can use it without a power supply but the LEDs and the headphone output won't work.

http://www.smproaudio.com/index.php/...ollers/mpatch2
    Gearwire.com Drum Mixing Tutorial: The best way of course is an oscilloscope... but, we don't have that, we don't have that here, so we have to use our ears...
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 13,593
    Rep Power 536871463

It's definately not a piece of gear I would consider buying new.
    A musician I know was using a Big Knob, then recapped an old Pioneer hifi preamp from the 70s and tried it in its place.

It thoroughly trounced the Big Knob in every way possible, including transparency, headphone amp quality, and cost.

otek
    "Tube color is not the 'thing'. Why would the most linear amplifying device have a color?" - Jonte Knif
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 686
    Rep Power 536871031

I have one of these. Completely passive except for the headphone amp... you can use it without a power supply but the LEDs and the headphone output won't work.

I like SM stuff. I have their 6CH headphone amp.
    ȻΘϨ₸Θ₸HɖƓ
    quickanddirtyaudio.com
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Bexley, OH
    Posts 2,332
    Rep Power 536871087

the avocet or the dangerous monitor st are the only two monitor controllers with that sort of remote control that I like.
    Surfing the net at work every day! Throws like a girl
    Join Date Dec 2010
    Location Philly Burbs
    Posts 324
    Rep Power 490782431

Do you guys recommend anything else in $500 price range for monitor controlling? I will need something for the Lynx upgrade i am planning.

thank you,

jB
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 13,593
    Rep Power 536871463

Do you guys recommend anything else in $500 price range for monitor controlling?
    See my previous post.

otek
    Garden variety weasel...has ripped flesh. Studied for urine test
    Join Date May 2009
    Posts 523
    Rep Power 536870996

Do you guys recommend anything else in $500 price range for monitor controlling? I will need something for the Lynx upgrade i am planning.

thank you,

jB
    For high-quality monitor control in the $500 range — If you just need monitor control and nothing else, I use and highly recommend the A Designs ATTY2'D. It's passive and extremely transparent. It has two stereo and two mono sets of I/O, each with a mute button, so you can either use it for three sets of stereo monitors or a 5.1 system. It also has a very handy master mute button. And you won't get better customer support than A Designs. Even if you buy one of their products used off eBay, they'll take care of you.

http://www.adesignsaudio.com/atty2d.html

The ManRoom
    Last edited by ManRoom Studio; February 9th, 2011 at 09:07 PM.
    Surfing the net at work every day! Throws like a girl
    Join Date Dec 2010
    Location Philly Burbs
    Posts 324
    Rep Power 490782431

See my previous post.

otek
    For high-quality monitor control in the $500 range If you just need monitor control and nothing else, I use and highly recommend the A Designs ATTY2'D. It's passive and extremely transparent. It has two stereo and two mono sets of I/O, each with a mute button, so you can either use it for three sets of stereo monitors or a 5.1 system. It also has a very handy master mute button. And you won't get better customer support than A Designs. Even if you buy one of their products used off eBay, they'll take care of you.

http://www.adesignsaudio.com/atty2d.html

The ManRoom
    Very helpful, thank you!

I will start a new thread when it comes time to jump. I dont want to hijack the thread any more than i have.

jB
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 10,458
    Rep Power 513229988

Concerning the actual topic of the thread:

I'm sure she is too!
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Former burger flipper turned Alshi expert Injured playing co-ed dodgeball
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sarasota, Florida
    Posts 1,065
    Rep Power 536871045

A musician I know was using a Big Knob, then recapped an old Pioneer hifi preamp from the 70s and tried it in its place.

otek
    One thing I'd be a little wary of here is using an older hifi preamp that wasn't designed with enough headroom for CD input levels.

If the input says 'tape' or 'aux' its probably expecting a much lower signal level than your DAW is capable of.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 13,593
    Rep Power 536871463

One thing I'd be a little wary of here is using an older hifi preamp that wasn't designed with enough headroom for CD input levels.

If the input says 'tape' or 'aux' its probably expecting a much lower signal level than your DAW is capable of.
    All inputs on hifi systems are designed for standard -10dBu line level (the exception being the phono input). The labels on the back are basically just designations.

Levels are not louder just because it's a CD player. Older amps are not more prone to input clipping than new ones. If anything, the good older hifis were made with discrete components and hefty power supplies, and had gobs of headroom.

That said, people should obviously be aware of which operating level their DAW is set to.

otek
    Hates these rank titles! Thinks Alfred Einstein was a genius
    Join Date Apr 2008
    Location Pasadena, CA
    Posts 217
    Rep Power 67108920

I have the SPL Surround Monitor Controller and really like this. Sits on my desktop. I use it as a stereo monitor controller 99% of the time, it can switch between two balanced and two unbalanced sources.

I have used the Big Knob, Dangerous D-Box and Presonus Central Station before that. Avoid the Presonus!
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 686
    Rep Power 536871031

I have the SPL Surround Monitor Controller and really like this. ...
    I've clearly been out-knobbed.

Very nice. I like how they labeled all the connections on the back upside-down as well as rightside-up. I wish every company did that.
    ȻΘϨ₸Θ₸HɖƓ
    quickanddirtyaudio.com
    Silly Rabbit Underwater ceramic engineer
    Join Date Mar 2011
    Location London
    Posts 127
    Rep Power 52

I just run a simple passive attenuator here and it is absolutely transparent to my ear and no electronics to go wrong. I have been very pleased indeed.
    SafeandSound Mastering
    .masteringmastering.co.uk/onlinemastering.html
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location ██████████
    Posts 6,404
    Rep Power 402653929

ok, mine's playing up currently. maybe it just needs a hit of contact cleaner but i'm not sure.
    Gearwire.com Drum Mixing Tutorial: The best way of course is an oscilloscope... but, we don't have that, we don't have that here, so we have to use our ears...