Thread: The Clear Com tutorial

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Bexley, OH
    Posts 2,346
    Rep Power 536871116

Default The Clear Com tutorial

Enjoy this primer on how to use com. Feel free to print it out to get clients and crew to use clear com properly. It's an attached pdf right now, i'll likely post it inline via html soon. This just gets it out there a little sooner.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by pounce; December 2nd, 2006 at 03:53 PM.
    Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Home Skooled
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Chicagoland
    Posts 13
    Rep Power 129

Default Re: The Clear Com tutorial

I'm gonna start wearing a t-shirt that says -

"Hey, turn your fuckin' mic off!" Roll eyes
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Bexley, OH
    Posts 2,346
    Rep Power 536871116

can you tell that i wrote it while a particularly inexperienced and bad mannered client was on com during a boring business theatre type event? they commited every clear com sin possible during their two day visit to my venue. this was truly written for them.

i have given it to the clear com company as well, who warmly received it. while this is common protocol in professional circles, i'd never seen an explanation in print before, so i hacked one together. it seems like a useful primer for those beginning theatrical work of for clients who insist on being on com. my original goal was to have something i could print and give to clients who wanted to be on com and didn't know how to talk to the crew. frankly, it's unfair to them for them to not have this information and to expect them to be able to run the crew and call the show in any reasonable manner.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 11,544
    Rep Power 536871422

I had a belt pack to use once while on a crew filming a commercial. No mic though (didn't need one).

I don't think it was a Clear Com... it had a speaker on it like a walkie talkie. Needless to say they all fell silent during the actual filming after the producer said "action".
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Birmingham, UK
    Posts 1,583
    Rep Power 536871090

It amazes me how ignorant I am sometimes.

Granted, I rarely do theatre shows. Or shows where there are many cues at all, to be honest. Still, good reading.

I'm hoping that people I've gigged with in the past don't think I'm a complete wanker now :P

Thanks.
    I'm probably talking shit.

"Mixing most 'heavy' records is like trying to find order and lucidity in a recording of a Cathedral Pipe Organ, all stops out, randomly veering between Handel's Messiah, Ginestera's 2nd and a coupla Bach Fugues, in a Titanium kitchenware foundry, while a gaggle of enraged PCP snorting gorillas with bullhorns conduct a demolition derby with cement mixers against the soothing cacophony of a nearby landslide/tsunami/heavy artillery exchange."- Slipperman
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location In the best swing state in the US
    Posts 5,172
    Rep Power 536871210

Nice Pounce....thanx for all the great info.....
    Peace,

Jerryskid

"...An entire genre of music based around the Hail Mary rescue attempt of an un-compable Cher vocal performance. Who knew? ..."-Dwoz

" Where'd I put my damn Metamucil? When's Paul Harvey coming on? Why are my pants pulled up around my chest?
    " ..Droolbucket

"A blandly designed masterwork that could inspire any reasonable citizen of California to launch a race war."-Chuck Klosterman on the Beatle's White Album

wardrobe malfunction investigator Can't buy me love...considering rental options.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sin City
    Posts 30
    Rep Power 130

"No chit chat or shit talking"? I thought that's what the audio private channel was for.
    www.myspace.com/bargoyles

I keep my expectations low so as not to be disappointed.
    -Otis
    London Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft Space Station pet
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Getting smaller every day
    Posts 3,264
    Rep Power 489494618

Very good, Pounce.

Mind you, if you were to actually record most com lines, well, you might see something altogether different. At least, when there is no client on the line.

Now, if I could only find a way to give that to clients who believe they know it all. Like the ones who get on wireless com and then proceed to walk out of range as fast as possible.

Too many corprate clients just don't have enough respect for what we do to understand that this stuff actually matters for how well their shows come off.

Gabriel
    Living Car Free since 05/25/2007

Hoffman Guitars

My Guitars

The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is that vampires are allergic to bullshit!!
    Richard Pryor
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location In a Mobile...backstage...all by myself...
    Posts 1,861
    Rep Power 536871100

"No chit chat or shit talking"? I thought that's what the audio private channel was for.
    Until that *one* time when the client overhears something that wasn't mean for their ears...

Oops...<insert shit-eating grin here as you try to explain to the client that the comments heard herein aren't necessarily the views of those associated with the venue and they are to rest assured the crew lends their full support and are committed to the quality of the client's production and...umm...yessir, yessir...three bags full sir>

We've all enjoyed comm talk, but it only takes one fuck up to know what it tastes like to talk outa your ass...
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location ██████████
    Posts 6,389
    Rep Power 402653956

What do you do when there's not enough comms packs and you're the only one not on comms?
    Gearwire.com Drum Mixing Tutorial: The best way of course is an oscilloscope... but, we don't have that, we don't have that here, so we have to use our ears...
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Bexley, OH
    Posts 2,346
    Rep Power 536871116

at risk of stating the obvious, the options seem to be rent a few extra packs, buy more packs, or determine who doesn't absolutely require it to get cues from the sm realtime during the show and make the best of what you have. I suppose budget will dictate which approach you take. I do have a handset next to me, so I'm sort of available on com, I just don't have it in my ear for the whole show.
    Roadside Outcast Dept. Mallory's missing camera
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location On location...
    Posts 5,049
    Rep Power 536871206

Best Clear Com tutorial ever:

Cheers,
    Tim
    Attached Images  
    Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity.

The best radio mic system that money can buy is ALMOST as good as a $20 cable.

One of the most important things to remember about sound is:
    'Sucks' is always conducted better than 'Rules'. - Pimp-X wisdom

Never underestimate the power of stupid - Blackie C (RIP)

Ego and talent seldom go hand in hand... Talent and humble on the other hand... - Zoesch

Weedy ignores this simple bit of glaring obviousness because he is an "ELECTRIC BASS GUITARIST"(coughcough)
    and views the kick drum as a "bass riff rhythmic pattern suggestion generator" - Slipperman
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Bexley, OH
    Posts 2,346
    Rep Power 536871116

Best Clear Com tutorial ever:

Cheers,
    Tim
    one of the best posts in this forum ever
    Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Slippy's codpiece...ewwww.
    Join Date Jun 2011
    Location New Hampshire
    Posts 15
    Rep Power 73

Be sure and have plenty of 100' runs on hand to be able to accommodate shows coming in that have that weird position that needs com that doesn't already have an in house run to that position.
    ☼ LIVE FREE OR DIE ☼