Thread: That mic pre question (again)

Has Many Personal Intergritys Expensive Boat Anchor
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,214
    Rep Power 536871350

Default Re: That mic pre question (again)

Maybe we should mention where all this talk of good dynamic mics comes from. I have given people similar advice on numerous occasions and been met with a sort of nonplussed stare:

"but... but... you've GOT to have a condenser for vocals!"

Once you start examining where this little tidbit originated, it is invariably from a sales clerk at one of the larger music store chains, or courtesy of "a friend who knows a lot about this stuff", meaning some guy in the next block over with an M-box, who spends a lot of time on the internets.

The truth is, of course an LDC is very often preferable on vocals, but not just ANY LDC. In fact, there is VERY little in the way of usable LDCs at anywhere near reasonable cost (at least in the mind of your average consumer), and certainly almost nothing at or below the price bracket of most good dynamics. So if you have 500 bucks to throw at a mic, consider dynamics first. If you have three times that, you might consider a condenser.

otek

Yes.
    even speaking as someone who uses almost ALL condensers most of the time, on everything, it is still about GOOD versus not as good much more than mic 'type'

there are reasons (in terms of my taste) that I would much rather have condensers on the drums for example, but I'd certainly choose RE20s or 441s off the mic list instead of 4033s or 451s, or other detritus.
    Most friends are "on the inside". Skate America finalist
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location On the left coast
    Posts 686
    Rep Power 536871031

...Well, duh... I suppose it's a good time to point out that you've already been given advice in this very thread by a ribbon mic manufacturer? One who puts out some very capable mics that won't break your bank?

Meet "Fum". And by all means, check his sig line.

otek
    See, that's what's great about this place. Lots of chops everywhere you look.

UPDATE: Daking Mic Pre 500 and API lunchbox inbound. Thanks so much for the entertaining and useful advice.

Next, I'll have to ponder some mics, obviously.
    Last edited by CloseToTheEdge; October 18th, 2011 at 10:03 PM.
    ȻΘϨ₸Θ₸HɖƓ
    quickanddirtyaudio.com
    CAPE 10 - Team Witty Placard
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 13,590
    Rep Power 536871463

I'd certainly choose RE20s or 441s off the mic list instead of 4033s or 451s, or other detritus.
    I would have to agree in most cases.... BUT as someone who has used quite a lot of 4033 and 451 over the years, there are FAR worse mics in that particular price bracket.

I actually really like the old 451s, and yes, they are very bright as Weedy so gleefully pointed out in a past Radio show. The new ones (451B) are virtually unusable and sound nothing like the old ones.

The 4033s, meanwhile, are not nearly as hyped as most of the similarly priced LDCs, and they don't distort and ring like most of the crap Chinese condensers. You can put it inside a bass drum and it will take it, and they make highly serviceable tom mics - plus, you don't have to enter two years of indentured servitude if the drummer happens to hit one of them.

otek
    "Tube color is not the 'thing'. Why would the most linear amplifying device have a color?" - Jonte Knif
    Junior assistant coffee maker trainee Atari lover
    Join Date Mar 2011
    Location Seattle, WA
    Posts 1,040
    Rep Power 126890144

The 4033s, meanwhile, are not nearly as hyped as most of the similarly priced LDCs, and they don't distort and ring like most of the crap Chinese condensers. You can put it inside a bass drum and it will take it, and they make highly serviceable tom mics - plus, you don't have to enter two years of indentured servitude if the drummer happens to hit one of them.

otek
    +1

4033 on a bass cab was pretty cool.
    Every time you use a preset, a puppy dies.

Think of the puppies
    Originally Posted by Maurice Gerbehringer
    2. OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS
    Use your ears.
    Frustrated Chick Rock singer...now doing jazz standards poorly! Yknee cnut
    Join Date Jan 2009
    Location Denver, CO, USA
    Posts 492
    Rep Power 536871000

Man, I like my 4033s (original version) for what they are. They're not great, but they're pretty good workhorse mics, especially for what I paid ($280/pair).

Depending on what you're trying to do with them results range from fairly terrible to surprisingly good. I wouldn't pay $400 for one though.
    Last edited by clarito; October 20th, 2011 at 02:03 AM. Reason: just 'cause
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 13,590
    Rep Power 536871463

...(original version)...I wouldn't pay $400 for one though.
    IIRC the original version sold for almost a grand new.

otek
    "Tube color is not the 'thing'. Why would the most linear amplifying device have a color?" - Jonte Knif
    Has Many Personal Intergritys Expensive Boat Anchor
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,214
    Rep Power 536871350

if the best you can manage is "not great" then you have to make do

but the goal is always "great"

I have no use for "not great"

and I'm certainly not going to recommend or excuse it except when it's unavoidable
    Hates these rank titles! Iconoclastic plastic
    Join Date Oct 2008
    Posts 213
    Rep Power 536870994

That's great
    Frustrated Chick Rock singer...now doing jazz standards poorly! Yknee cnut
    Join Date Jan 2009
    Location Denver, CO, USA
    Posts 492
    Rep Power 536871000

IIRC the original version sold for almost a grand new.

otek
    Wow, I did not know that. They really didn't hold their value after the great flood of cheap-ass condensers.

if the best you can manage is "not great" then you have to make do

but the goal is always "great"

I have no use for "not great"

and I'm certainly not going to recommend or excuse it except when it's unavoidable
    Yeah, I'm very much "making do" at this point, and I don't use them if something better is available. I've seen guys bust out their questionable mics in well equipped studios because its "their sound" or whatever but it always struck me as extremely foolish.