Thread: The Reverb Discussion

Has Many Personal Intergritys Expensive Boat Anchor
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,038
    Rep Power 536871342

Default Re: The Reverb Discussion

It happened on day one, when I first put things up and we heard the band in the house.
    It just sounded so good as is and with Joan singing live and in your face warts and all; I turned to Rick right then and said we should keep it like that
    We held firm from then on even if a guest, like one guitar player in particular, wasn't used to the idea.
    I never had a reverb even set up the whole time.
    Last edited by weedywet; December 12th, 2011 at 11:34 PM.
    Voice like Marcel Marceau Aardvark makes parts of me levitate
    Join Date Feb 2010
    Location Africa's bumhole
    Posts 299
    Rep Power 322961572

Had no idea you did this album. The drums on One of Us are majestic!
    poeskool
    Join Date Apr 2010
    Location Cork, Ireland.
    Posts 836
    Rep Power 0

No, badtheory, it stinks to high heaven unless you can find a billion sites dispensing misinformation about multitrack mixing.
    Not a billion sites, but there are millions of posts on gearsluts that fit the bill. Add to that Future Music magazine published since about 1990, and Computer Music magazine- both of which are pretty awful IMO. I think that is equivalent to your "billion sites".
    You haven't made a point. That's my point.
    No, you just don't get the point. Or you really really dislike it (see my final point about control).

I think misinformation should be challenged.

You on the other hand are quite comfortable with it.

I think challenging it is sisyphean. "Comfortable" is the wrong word- actually I've accepted that it's outside of my control.
    Last edited by madtheory; December 9th, 2011 at 08:41 PM.
    "Facts, not opinions" David Kirkaldy.
    Ultimate Casio CZ for Kontakt
    My Music
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 9,909
    Rep Power 536871339

Not a billion sites, but there are millions of posts on gearsluts that fit the bill. Add to that Future Music magazine published since about 1990, and Computer Music magazine- both of which are pretty awful IMO. I think that is equivalent to your "billion sites".
    GS, Future Music, and computerMusic... that's 3 so far. I'm not counting every letter and punctuation mark. Is Electronic Musician still around? That would qualify IIRC.

I think there's still hope for our boy to find this site. Or possibly develop a critical ear by listening to professionally recorded and mixed records. That might make him wonder, "How much reverb could have been used on a mix that sounds bone dry?" That in turn could make him question whether his source is the ultimate authority on the matter.
    Man! You have GOT to try a hit of this RANGE SUNSHINE!

IMTBO = In My Thoroughly Biased Opinion
    CMIIW = Correct Me If I'm Wrong
    Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
    If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle
    Martini Drinker Faded rockers wildlife reserve guard
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,523
    Rep Power 2500000000

Holy Crap. I've got some guy arguing on my FB Page that Hillier's statements about starting a composition on drums are actually encouragements for people to do whatever works.

Originally Posted by Steve Hillier
    Things that people do wrong with their music:

1. Write a composition starting with the drums. This is madness. Can you imagine Lennon and McCartney waiting for Ringo to set up his drum kit before writing their next Beatles smash? Obviously not.
    Wow. Michelle Bachmann's got nothing on this defender of Steve Hillier.

Enjoy,

Mixerman
    Zen and the Art of Recording - COMING NOVEMBER 2014!

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Birmingham, UK
    Posts 1,563
    Rep Power 536871061

Anyone fancy starting an "Audio Article/Post Police"?

Not saying this guy is right, but things seem to be getting a bit militant...

Anyway, someone should just make a website with a front page that looks like this:

USE YOUR EARS.
    TRUST NO-ONE.

(Especially not those jokers on the MMRS...or anyone talking about reverb)

And direct any and all newbies to it
    I'm probably talking shit.

"Mixing most 'heavy' records is like trying to find order and lucidity in a recording of a Cathedral Pipe Organ, all stops out, randomly veering between Handel's Messiah, Ginestera's 2nd and a coupla Bach Fugues, in a Titanium kitchenware foundry, while a gaggle of enraged PCP snorting gorillas with bullhorns conduct a demolition derby with cement mixers against the soothing cacophony of a nearby landslide/tsunami/heavy artillery exchange."- Slipperman
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,523
    Rep Power 2500000000

I posted this on my FB Page in response to the two participants who argue I'm misreading Steve Hillier's article:

I think it's interesting that some of you defend his article, as if I'm misreading it or misunderstanding his message (which I'm not). And you're all welcome to your opinions, and to disagree with my decision to call the author out on it. That's all fine. But I find it fascinating that Steve Hillier doesn't defend his own article. If I'm misunderstanding the intent of it, then shouldn't he say so himself? All I know is if I write an article, or a book, I defend it from attack. And if it's a justified criticism, then I capitulate, and stipulate, and whatever other "ate" anyone else can think of.

For the record, Steve is aware that I'm hammering him on this article. I've invited him personally to defend it, and thusfar he's passed. Of course, I can't say I blame him. The article is INDEFENSIBLE!

Enjoy,

Mixerman

Court of The Crimson King of The Road Bought Bre-X high... still holding hope
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location on a big ball flying through space
    Posts 4,563
    Rep Power 536871161

I'm not that guy. I don't know him.

But any mystery here might be simply explained by the possibility that this person might just hold the idea that "arguing with guys on the interwebs" is likely to be an endless game, and he's not playing.

JLE
    "A machine is only as effective as its user"-Wilbur Wright

"I've suffered for my music, and now it's your turn"-Neil Innes

"I am amazed every single day how so many think that you have to constantly DO things to engineer properly. In fact, you do as little as possible, and then only the things required. The trick is in knowing what is actually required."-Terry Manning

"WE'RE ALL VILLAGE IDIOTS AT ONE POINT OR ANOTHER. "-der Schlippermensch

Facebook me!
    blah, blah, blah
    wardrobe malfunction investigator "Mock Chicken" joke?...could be American.
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 41
    Rep Power 536871009

I'm not that guy. I don't know him.

But any mystery here might be simply explained by the possibility that this person might just hold the idea that "arguing with guys on the interwebs" is likely to be an endless game, and he's not playing.

JLE
    You're going to compare "guys on the interwebs" with Mixerman who hits large swaths of industry people with something like this?

Peter Gunn
    Court of The Crimson King of The Road Bought Bre-X high... still holding hope
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location on a big ball flying through space
    Posts 4,563
    Rep Power 536871161

You're going to compare "guys on the interwebs" with Mixerman who hits large swaths of industry people with something like this?

OK. Is he a guy who wants to have an argument via the interknot?

The particulars of anybody involved is beside the point there. The specifics of some article that triggers the whole thing is beside the point there.

Forget any of that for a second.

I'm pointing out a possibility.

There is a definite possibility of somebody not participating in an argument somebody wants to have because they figure that arguing with guys on the interthing is likely to be an endless game and they aren't playing.

Pointing out this possibility, apparently, has a possibility of itself becoming a topic that's food for arguing on the interwebs.

Humans are funny critters.

JLE
    "A machine is only as effective as its user"-Wilbur Wright

"I've suffered for my music, and now it's your turn"-Neil Innes

"I am amazed every single day how so many think that you have to constantly DO things to engineer properly. In fact, you do as little as possible, and then only the things required. The trick is in knowing what is actually required."-Terry Manning

"WE'RE ALL VILLAGE IDIOTS AT ONE POINT OR ANOTHER. "-der Schlippermensch

Facebook me!
    blah, blah, blah
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,523
    Rep Power 2500000000

OK. Is he a guy who wants to have an argument via the interknot?

The particulars of anybody involved is beside the point there. The specifics of some article that triggers the whole thing is beside the point there.

Forget any of that for a second.

I'm pointing out a possibility.

There is a definite possibility of somebody not participating in an argument somebody wants to have because they figure that arguing with guys on the interthing is likely to be an endless game and they aren't playing.

Pointing out this possibility, apparently, has a possibility of itself becoming a topic that's food for arguing on the interwebs.

Humans are funny critters.

JLE
    I don't know. If he's writing articles, it's because he wants to get his name out there, and increase his presence. It doesn't do much good to increase your presence, if you're not going to defend yourself. And it certainly doesn't do any good to get your name out there if it's ultimately mud.

Just saying.

When I wrote my open letter to Mix Magazine a while back, it changed the way Mix did business in regards to dealing with advertisers. I happen to know this from people who worked for the company at the time. Apparently, I embarrassed the living shit out of them by calling them out like that. So, believe it or not, these sorts of attacks on my part can do some good.

I realize I can't stop people from writing total bullshit on the internet. But I CAN call them on it, and WE can have a site that people can come to and EXPECT the truth. Sometimes there is no truth. Sometimes there's just opinion. But at least we understand the difference between the two around here.

Enjoy,

Mixerman

Hates these rank titles! Wife left with tractor salesman...got John Deere letter
    Join Date Jun 2011
    Location In a House.
    Posts 203
    Rep Power 0

Sorry Mixerman, as a Drummer I couldn't make it past the first bold heading without thinking, "Fuck You." Then the second heading caught my eye and I just skimmed the rest. I can best be described as a noob because at the moment Mixing is a hobby I enjoy, and recording is something I do in order to further my bands music..and my own personal skills. I also realize I'm not going to mix the next Dark Side of the Moon, but that does not make me want to learn and develop my knowledge any less as far as Mixing goes. I see it as something that makes me a better Musician. I also feel this article was written to be directed at people like me. So I can speak on some of the the issues you've taken.
    What attracted me to join The Womb was the fact I read Zen and enjoyed the style in which your message was presented. (That, and I got sick of reading Aardy's Habtardation toward my Canucks.) I feel The Womb is a perfect continuation of this message and I've learned even more sponging off of many of the contributers here, which in turn again, has furthered my knowledge and made me a better musician. As a noob, I don't think you need to worry about this article if a guy, like me, who knows very little isn't able to make it past the first heading without saying a mental "Fuck You."
    It's not the first half assed contribution from somebody with a name on the net. Really, what is to be gained by not letting the guy collect his cheque, self endorse, and move on? (Unless he's a complete douche and you know it.) I've learned waaay more about the importance of what is discussed in the article by the stance you've taken, than the little blurbs and generalizations it contains. Anyone with half a brain will do the same, if not, well then they have more practical learning to do on their own to see through these things. Everybody who posts on the net knows where it's going if he does come around to defend his stance anyhow. This one just doesn't seem worth it.

PS Will you be my Facebook friend? I'll like your page if you like mine.
    Has Many Personal Intergritys Expensive Boat Anchor
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,038
    Rep Power 536871342

... And it certainly doesn't do any good to get your name out there if it's ultimately mud.
    I used to think that

Now it seems it enables you to run for President
    Join Date May 2007
    Location Toronto
    Posts 827
    Rep Power 536871030

Peter Gunn
    From his perspective the invitation probably read like "Hey! Come over here, we're gonna lynch you."

Would you go?

Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,523
    Rep Power 2500000000

From his perspective the invitation probably read like "Hey! Come over here, we're gonna lynch you."

Would you go?

I would! I singlehandedly took on the DUC which resulted in two of the longest threads in DUC history.

I don't see articles by Mr. Gunn on the internet. If you're going to write articles or publish them, then you'd better be prepared to defend yourself.

You know, I may give it, but I take it too.

Enjoy,

Mixerman

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Chez Mimi La Sardine
    Posts 1,641
    Rep Power 536871062

You know, I may give it, but I take it too.
    Duly noted.

Ahem.

(carry on, move along, nothing to see here!..)

Seriously now, MM's taking on any self-proclaimed audio guru's online BS may seem a bit quixotic to some, not mentioning the time and courage it requires, but refuting and debating is really the only way to go... otherwise everything ends up looking equally valuable, juxtaposed opinions, expressions of different experiences. IOW, confusion, which leads to disorder, chaos and mayhem... the opposite of true Zen.

Can't have that.

So it's only in consistently debunking the myths and questionable arguments spawn by false prophets that one can maintain & consolidate one's reputation as a decent audio messiah.

... and drain the cup of bitterness to the dregs.

Or tell 'em all to fuck off.

But even then...

Last edited by TubaSolo; December 16th, 2011 at 03:48 PM.
    Bassist/struggling pizza boy! Thinks Ringo's wife is a famous Classical Composer
    Join Date Jan 2012
    Posts 63
    Rep Power 0

Hi, first post here and this one caught my eye.

If Steve Hillier wishes to perpetrate voodoo science then the man most definitely should defend his article. If it were me I would be in here like a shot defending my self. Not that I would write such nonsense anyway.

WE ALL have a duty to call out BS when we see it. Im sure some of you know the absolute tosh spread on GS which is then defended by legions of armchair producers who have never written or mixed a song in their lives. Yes, I know thats a sweeping statement BUT CHRIST! you can tell by simply reading between the lines some of those guys just dont get it. They give the game away when their talking about mixing. Who on earth sits there whilst mixing and micro analyses everything their doing? That would mean your not feeling the mix at all. A mix is a process of man and console getting it on together on a rollercoaster ride driven by energy and excitement (ok not in every case). Over at GS I have never once read anyone say they see a console as a musical instrument in its own right. I know thats what it is, and i have only ever used budget mixers. Surely pro mixers see them like this or am I wrong?
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,523
    Rep Power 2500000000

Over at GS I have never once read anyone say they see a console as a musical instrument in its own right. I know thats what it is, and i have only ever used budget mixers. Surely pro mixers see them like this or am I wrong?
    I think you're right, and I even play a pro mixer on the internet.

Enjoy,

Mixerman

Bassist/struggling pizza boy! Thinks Ringo's wife is a famous Classical Composer
    Join Date Jan 2012
    Posts 63
    Rep Power 0

Cool.

Dont get what your saying about playing an on line mixer thoigh?
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 10,286
    Rep Power 379012224

Great first post!
    Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????