Thread: The Reverb Discussion

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 9,912
    Rep Power 536871339

Default Re: The Reverb Discussion

Actually, the use of discreet reverbs is caused by how digital reverbs react. A single EMT140 will suffice. Not so with digital reverbs.

Mixerman
    Could you (or someone) elaborate on that a bit?
    Man! You have GOT to try a hit of this RANGE SUNSHINE!

IMTBO = In My Thoroughly Biased Opinion
    CMIIW = Correct Me If I'm Wrong
    Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
    If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle
    Junior assistant coffee maker trainee ACME recording engineer...just add water.
    Join Date Jun 2011
    Posts 859
    Rep Power 536870980

My understanding is part of this has to do with how truely de-correlated the reverb output is. (Some like TC6000 are much better at this which is also why they work well for surround.)

In the case of the EMT, I'd guess, a specific ER to tail ratio and a relatively low diffusion factor have proven beneficial when wanting to add a bit of tail to acoustic instruments.
    Martini Drinker Faded rockers wildlife reserve guard
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,523
    Rep Power 2500000000

Could you (or someone) elaborate on that a bit?
    I used discreet, when I meant discrete. I had a 50-50 shot, and I blew it.

You were suggesting that many people who mix ITB use discrete reverbs, meaning each part gets it's own reverb. I'm suggesting that this is possibly a symptom of how digital reverbs react.

Discrete reverbs aren't necessary with chambers and plates. I can use an EMT140 on multiple parts and it works great. Digital reverbs almost force me to use multiple reverbs.

There is another reason to use discrete reverbs ITB though. It allows me to ride the reverb return without worrying about what else is going into it.

Mixerman
    Zen and the Art of Recording - COMING NOVEMBER 2014!

Join Date Jun 2011
    Posts 859
    Rep Power 536870980

Your last point is more about workflow. (Although one can ride the sends it's not always practical once you start to add processing to the verb returns, particularly dynamics processing. It also somewhat simplifies routing in an hybrid system.)

Maybe it's a hangup of working on consoles but sometimes I prefer to have all processing in line on some faders and not have a bazilion returns.

I find most verbs have better definition if presented with a source that's less complex anyway.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Bellows Falls, Vermont
    Posts 1,456
    Rep Power 536871057

I used discreet, when I meant discrete. I had a 50-50 shot, and I blew it.
    Tired of discreet reverbs? LIVE NUDE PLATE NIGHT at Mixerman's! They will bare all! It's a real WET t-shirt night!

Oh baby. My chamber aches for your hot thick aux send.

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Songwriter Gulch
    Posts 9,727
    Rep Power 536871333

...Motown guy has forgotten DI inputs? In a world where so much modern music is generated entirely with virtual instruments that never saw a microphone or acoustic space?...
    I was all excited about Lexi-Con jobs and early reflections until I started working with them and finally realized they were really fucking things up compared to the real chambers and plates I'd grown up on.

I was the biggest affordable home recording gear-slut in the world after moving to San Francisco in 1972. I was an early MIDI and sampler adopter, crashed on the floor of Don Buchla's hotel room at AES shows, was digidesign's 150th customer and the very first Pro Tools user at Skywalker Ranch.

Today I'm Rip Van Winkle having woken up from that dream wondering how could people have screwed everything that I love up so much?
    Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Georgetown Masters 615 254-3233
    Interview
    Artists are the gatekeepers of truth!- Paul Robeson
    Has Many Personal Intergritys Expensive Boat Anchor
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,041
    Rep Power 536871342

that's how I feel as well... although I was, if anything, a late adopter

at each new 'development' (ha), I found myself saying "but this doesn't sound as good', or 'but this makes it more difficult to make it sound right'

we get worn down over time, to where we simply accept that it takes longer to get the same result (or not quite as good as result) or that 'this is what we have' and we make the best of it.

and that goes round in a big self-fulfilling, self perpetuating, circle of lower budgets, lower expectations, and lower quality.

I'm cheered up.
    what about you?
    Join Date Jun 2011
    Posts 859
    Rep Power 536870980

This is so true. When I started in the studio I didn't know my ass from a hole in the patch. Somehow the sounds, wether capturing them to tape or trying to assemble a mix, were coming together quite easily and often with a nice definition and focus. This had certainly nothing to do with my abilities.

The tools at my disposal now are supposedly more sophisticated and I'm more experienced yet I often have to work harder to get to the finish line...
    Garden variety weasel...has ripped flesh. Prom Queen
    Join Date Sep 2008
    Location Sunny San Juan, P.R.
    Posts 516
    Rep Power 536871003

Clown Re: The Reverb Discussion

So, is the Eventide plugin still worth the $800 or was it 2k? How about you, what is your fav. Less Ugly(tm) digital reverb plugin?
    Has Many Personal Intergritys Expensive Boat Anchor
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,041
    Rep Power 536871342

Breverb is decent.
    UAD 250 is decent
    some Altiverb settings...

but 9 times out of 10 I use Revolver

but NONE of them are like outboard reverb,
    not even as good as average outboard digital reverb...

and certainly not as good as great outboard reverb like a plate or the (yes, digital) 250
    Once did Lady Di on a bet Happy Roman... Gladiator
    Join Date Jan 2008
    Location Heaven's Gate
    Posts 2,472
    Rep Power 536871076

but NONE of them are like outboard reverb,
    not even as good as average outboard digital reverb...

and certainly not as good as great outboard reverb like a plate or the (yes, digital) 250
    I wonder why that is the case. I mean, outboard digital reverbs are...uhm...digital. So it should be possible to transfer their algorithms to the box. Or is it the circuit design that makes them sound different ?

Marco
    "Here ain't there..." - Unfcknblvbl, June 17th, 2010
    Frustrated Chick Rock singer...now doing jazz standards poorly! Drummer with a girlfriend...has home!
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Switzerland
    Posts 472
    Rep Power 536871024

This thread makes me want to put a speaker and mic in my storage room and just give it a shot
    Drummers perspective or death. -Slippy
    And Then there Were Three Dog Night Group sex therapist
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 4,878
    Rep Power 536871171

I wonder why that is the case. I mean, outboard digital reverbs are...uhm...digital. So it should be possible to transfer their algorithms to the box. Or is it the circuit design that makes them sound different ?

Marco
    Lexicon Native is reportedly the same as PCM96.
    Then again, PCM96 is not an 224.
    Old beast were probably affected a lot by AD/DA. And you had them return on a console.
    I often found that adding some sort of coloration after the verb made it easier to fit it in.

I created a thread called "I suck at reverb" here a while ago.
    Mixie said something that it well might be the reverbs I use are culprit. Well, I think it has a merit, as I feel it's much easier to come to terms with EMpTy250, ValhallaRoom or UberMod and some Nebula programs.
    When in doubt, mumble!

EVERYTHING SOUNDS LIKE SHIT IF YA LISTEN LONG AND HARD ENOUGH.
    Join Date May 2010
    Posts 112
    Rep Power 469762076

Marco
    If the algorithm is identical, then my guess is chances are it's just due to the fact you're running it on dedicated hardware. Possibly hardware designed around floating point calculations which'll result in more precise, faster results. So the realtime lag is reduced with greater calc precision.

I want to know why DSP calcs hit my CPU, I'd rather they went to my video card. Scientists can build supercomputers with a few CPU chips but many GPUs linked together and get great results. Analog-emulated manipulation seems like it'd be pretty similar to calculus? We're dealing with something that's supposed to be continuous, not discrete.
    Last edited by blibblob; January 19th, 2012 at 04:40 PM.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Bellows Falls, Vermont
    Posts 1,456
    Rep Power 536871057

I'm cheered up.
    what about you?
    I'm still fightin' the power.

http://www.jinxtigr.com/f/AllSpaceDemo.dmg

Most of you guys can't try this but some of you can- I did another reverb trying to make a 'bright algorithmic reverb' that would sit right. I've built my own plate (not well enough for it to be a GOOD plate, but it was a real plate) and I've done a lot of work with that 'everything digital is 2D and really opaque' thing.

Meh, it's a living.
    Last edited by chrisj; January 20th, 2012 at 08:58 PM.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 9,912
    Rep Power 536871339

This thread makes me want to put a speaker and mic in my storage room and just give it a shot
    Lots of studios did just that.

This thread makes me want to find the issue of tape op with the homemade plate reverbs.
    Man! You have GOT to try a hit of this RANGE SUNSHINE!

IMTBO = In My Thoroughly Biased Opinion
    CMIIW = Correct Me If I'm Wrong
    Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
    If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle
    Join Date May 2010
    Posts 112
    Rep Power 469762076

Lots of studios did just that.

This thread makes me want to find the issue of tape op with the homemade plate reverbs.
    http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/h...n_plate_reverb

After I finish the amp I'm working on, that might be next on my list...
    Join Date Jun 2011
    Posts 859
    Rep Power 536870980

I might be able to get my old 140 back at some point...
    :-)

In the meantine I have various spots I like to use for live ambience around the house. It's a great way to add some missing depth to a mix or provide a common space to disparate elements. Also, you get a different texture quite fast if you feed a sd thru a clean amp/spkr foldback or a gtr amp that's barking.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 13,429
    Rep Power 536871456

what is your fav. Less Ugly(tm) digital reverb plugin?
    I use a grand total of two reverbs ITB (99% of the time): Logic Space Designer (convolution) and Arts Acoustic (algorithmic).

otek
    "Tube color is not the 'thing'. Why would the most linear amplifying device have a color?" - Jonte Knif
    Join Date Jun 2009
    Location Manasquan NJ
    Posts 235
    Rep Power 536870984

@Otek - Space Designer is pretty much all I use, though I will certainly give Chris's a try.
    "Well, I bought a new shirt and now I gotta, like, bring my shit up to the level of the shirt." - Everett Bradley (episode 23, livefromdarylshouse.com)