Frustrated Chick Rock singer...now doing jazz standards poorly! Confused by Rosie O's attraction to Tom Cruise
    Join Date Oct 2007
    Posts 467
    Rep Power 536871043

Default Where to buy good quality ethnic instruments (Chinese erhu)

So my sister-in-law loves studying Chinese and Japanese culture, and since I know guitars, has tasked me with helping her find a good quality Erhu (essentially a two-stringed Chinese fiddle, you can hear how they sound here).

It's obviously not the type of thing you find at the local Banjo Mart. And my experience with ethnic instruments is that most "manufacturers" sell them with the intended use as keepsakes and conversation pieces, not quality functional musical instruments. I figured someone here might be able to steer me in the right direction.

Any help would be appreciated - thanks!
    once played a seventh chord in a folk song Last gold dollar is gone
    Join Date Jan 2010
    Location NYC
    Posts 172
    Rep Power 536871006

Default Re: Where to buy good quality ethnic instruments (Chinese erhu)

Lark In The Morning

I do not know if their physical store still exists, but they have a nice selection of world instruments.

I have bought from them with no problems.
    Join Date Nov 2008
    Posts 1
    Rep Power 106

You can try www.soundofasia.com. They specialize in guzhengs but should have some erhus in stock. Give Carol a call. She's pretty knowledgeable about various Asian instruments.
    London Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft Space Station pet
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Getting smaller every day
    Posts 3,267
    Rep Power 489494620

Lark in the Morning's quality has never been spectacular, in my experience. If you want to find something of professional quality (and I don't know that you do, but....), the best thing to do would be to find someone who plays the instrument at least semi-professionally, and ask where to go.

Gabriel
    Living Car Free since 05/25/2007

Hoffman Guitars

My Guitars

The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is that vampires are allergic to bullshit!!
    Richard Pryor
    Voice like Marcel Marceau Left handed polo player...not good.
    Join Date Jul 2008
    Location Malaysia
    Posts 264
    Rep Power 134217881

I know a few highly skilled erhu players. Unfortunately, I'm halfway across the planet