Thread: When will the US catch up?

Former burger flipper turned Alshi expert Faded European 'B' actor
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Portsmouth, VA
    Posts 1,079
    Rep Power 536871045

Default Re: When will the US catch up?

Meh. I live in the U.S. but was born and raised in Canada. I don't find it too big of a deal -- it's all relative, isn't it? The U.S. education system has enough problems (and is in enough debt) without trying to change the way math is taught. If this country ever finds its way back to economic prosperity, then maybe changing over to the metric system will be on the radar. Until that time though, it strikes me as something that's not important enough to be cost effective.

And at the end of the day, most folks who are smart enough to be doing a significant level of trade with foreign countries are also smart enough to use conversion charts. Or estimation.

(Having said all of the above, the metric system DOES make a hell of a lot more sense to me, as does Celsius vs. Fahrenheit...unless you're running a distillery...)
    Frustrated Chick Rock singer...now doing jazz standards poorly! Fletcher's prison bitch
    Join Date Jun 2011
    Location Indianapolis
    Posts 456
    Rep Power 536870968

OK, mathy guys, answer this:

What is the metric equivalent of:
    2 rods+ 3 digits+one shaftment minus 1 hand X 2 links?

Huh?

Calculators equal cheating.

Eh, screw it. Use a calculator.
    once played a seventh chord in a folk song Saw Yentle 46 times
    Join Date Oct 2009
    Location Wilmington De
    Posts 193
    Rep Power 536870980

It's 90 feet to first base and 10 yards for a first down, and it will take an armed revolution to change that. The world can pry my gallon of milk from my cold, dead fingers.

Granted, when I was an engineering student I wouldn't dream of doing a calculation without first converting to metric and then converting the answer back. And I do find it odd that there is no unit in common use over here for mass. We just kinda' use the units for force and and hope nobody notices.
    once played a seventh chord in a folk song Saw Yentle 46 times
    Join Date Oct 2009
    Location Wilmington De
    Posts 193
    Rep Power 536870980

(Having said all of the above, the metric system DOES make a hell of a lot more sense to me, as does Celsius vs. Fahrenheit...unless you're running a distillery...)
    Celsius only makes sense dealing with water. Between 0 and 100 water goes from fucking cold to fucking hot. But I can't live in water's world. 100 degrees C is disastrously bad for me.

Fahrenheit makes sense dealing with people. Between 0 and 100, people go from fucking cold to fucking hot. Perfect for me, since I am a person.

The giant upside to metric/SI units is their ease of use in calculation. Celsius even fails there since you have to first convert to Kelvin before you dare multiply or divide. Not much of an upside to C. We got 'em there.
    SoundBlaster™ Expert Regular person but for the extra nipple
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location On the bright side of life!
    Posts 4,160
    Rep Power 536871147

I'm always a bit underwhelmed by cultures which still use parts of the human anatomy to measure things.

How much penis are two boobies?

Mac
    Mac

Don't be worried about your anosognosia.

Being a professional is not about how good you are at your best,
    but how good you are at your worst.

Creating complex solutions is easy.

Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 6,848
    Rep Power 2500000000

as a surveyor and sheep farmer I am happy and comfortable with rods, chains, and stone.

As a carpenter, I am more than satisfied with RCH.

I've never been able to fathom nautical measurements.

As a man-mathematician I will always remember the "golden ratio" as 36-24-36. Change that to metric and I will always think we're talking about water buffalo or baby rhinos.
    "...but ma, audio engineering IS gainful employment!..."

"...If I wuz at that club where Miles played one note I would have bounced ONE BOTTLE off his shiny fucking coconut. What? He's Phil Glass now?..." -Slipperman

"...never attribute to magic, that which can be explained by conspiracy."
    Once did Lady Di on a bet Happy Roman... Gladiator
    Join Date Jan 2008
    Location Heaven's Gate
    Posts 2,475
    Rep Power 536871077

Depends on the boobies. And on the penis as well. Ah, forget it.

Marco
    "Here ain't there..." - Unfcknblvbl, June 17th, 2010
    Hot Rats Greatest Hits Loves Jules and The Polar Bears
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 4,416
    Rep Power 536871156

A mathematician named Hall
    Had a hexohedragonal ball.
    The cube of its weight
    Times his pecker plus eight
    Is his phone number, give him a call.
    To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
    -Henri Poincare
    Court of The Crimson King of The Road Bought Bre-X high... still holding hope
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location on a big ball flying through space
    Posts 4,566
    Rep Power 536871161

Oh, goody, this one will go for weeks, I see.

One thing, though.

Kind of funny, really, seeing this become some sort of issue of debate.. and it's not.

How can I phrase this?

IT'S NOT BASE 12 MATH.

Jesus god almighty.

It's all base 10.

So just stop that.

Anyway.

Like I said, it's really down to familiarity, although in retrospect, minutes later, I think that might not have been exactly the right wording, to say it's all down to familiarity, and not more.

Might have been better to say it's down to established status quo.

It's both a matter of people understanding and functioning with the system they've known all their lives, however fucked up it might be when you really get into all the "well, why is this....?" stuff.

There's a practical element that's not trivial.

There are things established and existing.

It's not all going away.

So, here in the land of the free still using The King's Measurements, it's a double world for a lot of people.

Nobby has a point about the whole "two sets of tools" thing, which is personally relevant to me. Would be a lot cheaper and less stuff to not have that, but it's there, and that's going to stay that way.... at most, the proportions of time when you use one or the other will vary over time.

Extra fun when you are, say, working on a machine where you're dealing with both depending on what particular thing you're working on.

Some things are silly, like, you gots blueprints with dimensions in inches but partial inches in decimal form, then laying things out with tape measures and rulers with fractional markings, and that sort of thing, and this general theme always floats around in the back of your mind about how just plain dopey some of that can be.

But there it is. It's a mixed bag that we just have to deal with.

JLE
    "A machine is only as effective as its user"-Wilbur Wright

"I've suffered for my music, and now it's your turn"-Neil Innes

"I am amazed every single day how so many think that you have to constantly DO things to engineer properly. In fact, you do as little as possible, and then only the things required. The trick is in knowing what is actually required."-Terry Manning

"WE'RE ALL VILLAGE IDIOTS AT ONE POINT OR ANOTHER. "-der Schlippermensch

Facebook me!
    blah, blah, blah
    Has Many Personal Intergritys Expensive Boat Anchor
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,148
    Rep Power 536871347

my undertanding is that "base 12" would have to count 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,a,b

with the quantity 'twelve' expressed as 10
    Join Date May 2010
    Posts 112
    Rep Power 469762077

my undertanding is that "base 12" would have to count 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,a,b

with the quantity 'twelve' expressed as 10
    1", 2", 3", 4", 5", 6", 7", 8", 9", 10", 11", 1'0", 1'1", 1'2", 1'3"...
    Decimal numerals to represent base 12 units. We just don't continue the pattern in an intelligent matter, instead we subdivide so when we hit 3' we have yards and then again at 1760yd. Illogical. In some ways... People tend to think in a logarithmic scale.

I just don't respond well to a Cartman styled "NO!" It's difficult to represent a duodecimal system when our founding in math is so based in the decimal. And all from a snide remark about a math joke I made...

I never actually thought I'd have to argue about how much more consistent the metric system is... It's been used in science and engineering for decades. We'd probably have an easier time switching over if we had decent science education in the US.

Measurement itself is such an arbitrary thing anyways, we simply state that some randomly determined distance is 1 something. Then just run with it. The easiest thing here is to just agree that an international consensus makes the most sense, whatever that might be, and the persistence of anything else is nothing more than stubbornness.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 6,848
    Rep Power 2500000000

I still say that the carpenter's RCH is the most elegant and intrinsically CORRECT measurement ever invented.

In that it embodies both qualitative (precision) and quantitative (distance) measure in one single unit. NO OTHER SYSTEM does that.
    "...but ma, audio engineering IS gainful employment!..."

"...If I wuz at that club where Miles played one note I would have bounced ONE BOTTLE off his shiny fucking coconut. What? He's Phil Glass now?..." -Slipperman

"...never attribute to magic, that which can be explained by conspiracy."
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location West Chester, Ohio
    Posts 1,557
    Rep Power 536871061

Congrats to Weedy for being the first to express what counting in base 12 would be. That's not to say to others, like Shotgun, didn't get it already.

Look, learn to do math in your head. Flying, I'm always figuring airspeed and fuel burn and time to the next waypoint. If it agrees with my flight plan, I'm happy. If not figure out why before you are dead.

Look, official weather temps are goven in C, but most planes have performance charts in F. It's so easy to convert, exactly in your head. Take C double it, then subtract 10% then add 32. Reverse to go the other direction. If you can't double/half in your head, get 10%, and add/subtract two numbers less than 100, you are stupid.

Now in school, the joke was the something is always given in the worst units, such as a speed in furlongs per fortnight.

Double points to anyone that's knows the computer OS that has a tunable kernel parameter expressed in micro-fortnights.
    Tori's Alibi

CAPE III - Team Galactic
    CAPE IV - Team Pantheon
    CAPE V - Team Elemental & Team Milk Carton
    CAPE VI - Team Grapestomper
    CAPE VII - Team Altitude
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 5,156
    Rep Power 536871180

I'm always a bit underwhelmed by cultures which still use parts of the human anatomy to measure things.

Mac
    That's a stiff one.
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 10,388
    Rep Power 379012228

Can somebody please tell me what 50MPH translates to in furlongs per fortnight?
    Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 9,999
    Rep Power 536871343

I saw a couple of dumbasses crossing over into Canada.

They got past the border and proceeded to drive 100MPH.

The clearly posted speed limit was 100km/h.

I remember thinking to myself, do they really not know the difference or do they think ignorance will prove to be a valid excuse when the cops tell them that their cars' speedometers show km/h as well as mph?
    Man! You have GOT to try a hit of this RANGE SUNSHINE!

IMTBO = In My Thoroughly Biased Opinion
    CMIIW = Correct Me If I'm Wrong
    Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
    If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle
    With or Without You Light up my Life Drinks Scotch Whisky all Night Long
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Getting smaller every day
    Posts 3,167
    Rep Power 489494586

1mm is just a bit too big, and 0.5mm is too small to see. 1/32" is perfect for me - I can see the lines fine, and they are precise enough for most things.

That's why I don't use the metric system, most of the time.

Gabriel
    Living Car Free since 05/25/2007

Hoffman Guitars

My Guitars

The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is that vampires are allergic to bullshit!!
    Richard Pryor
    Junior assistant coffee maker trainee ACME recording engineer...just add water.
    Join Date Jun 2011
    Posts 859
    Rep Power 536870981

You're splitting hairs...
    ;-)
    SoundBlaster™ Expert Regular person but for the extra nipple
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location On the bright side of life!
    Posts 4,160
    Rep Power 536871147

...the carpenter's RCH is the most elegant...
    I think the carpenter's Karen is the most elegant one, but that's of course a matter of personal taste.

Mac
    Mac

Don't be worried about your anosognosia.

Being a professional is not about how good you are at your best,
    but how good you are at your worst.

Creating complex solutions is easy.

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location In a Mobile...backstage...all by myself...
    Posts 1,866
    Rep Power 536871072

Oh, goody, this one will go for weeks, I see.
    Yep.

You can blame me as the asshole who started the whole thing off

I still say that the carpenter's RCH is the most elegant and intrinsically CORRECT measurement ever invented.

In that it embodies both qualitative (precision) and quantitative (distance) measure in one single unit. NO OTHER SYSTEM does that.

A-FUCKING-MEN. The smallest unit of measurement known to man, and, its second smallest, the CH, are infinitely more accurate than anything else we have used to measure with. Well done for adding that into the discussion.

You're splitting hairs...
    ;-)
    Exactly.

Follow Click Track Audio on Twitter

Check out Click Track Audio on Facebook