Thread: TC Electronics M350

Astrological sign is "Feces"! Has Girly Hands
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 369
    Rep Power 536871020

Default TC Electronics M350

Looking for a "poor man's M5000." Does this cheap lil beastie have any of the mojo of the M5000? Similar algorithms?
    Former burger flipper turned Alshi expert Injured playing co-ed dodgeball
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sarasota, Florida
    Posts 1,064
    Rep Power 536871043

Default Re: TC Electronics M350

A top choice for budget gear... I would have M300 / C300 in my live rack without any problem.
    Astrological sign is "Feces"! Has Girly Hands
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 369
    Rep Power 536871020

Thanks, T-Bay.
    Join Date Dec 2011
    Location Buried in the mix
    Posts 142
    Rep Power 469762078

It's alright. I don't think there is a lot of competition in that price range as far as rack stuff goes.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 13,409
    Rep Power 536871454

The M-5000, although a lower resolution unit in terms of the digital conversion and processing, has I/O stages that were pretty much state of the art for its day, tons of headroom, as well as a very hefty power supply (power draw is typically more than three times that of the 350). I suspect that the real "mojo" of that unit comes from that rather than the algorithms used.

Also, keep in mind that M2000s sometimes go for four or five hundred dollars. That's definitely not a bad unit, and my guess is that the analog I/O stages are substantially better than the 350.

otek
    "Tube color is not the 'thing'. Why would the most linear amplifying device have a color?" - Jonte Knif
    once played a seventh chord in a folk song My boyfriend's back and there's gonna be laundry
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Inaloophole
    Posts 180
    Rep Power 238487134

Sorry to Dig up an older thread, but I was curious how Overeasy went on his hunt for a poor man's M5000..

I've been living with a PCM81 which is a cool kinda box as an FX unit, but not a particularly strong reverb box..

I come across an M5000 recently and was floored at how much it was fetching second hand, I had no idea they went for that kinda money.. Out of curiosity what price did they get brand new? This one was like 4.5k .
    Mainly looking for a nice outboard reverb box for snare and percussive duties..
    I would probably stop thinking about model numbers and sound-alikes, and start thinking about the sonic character I want.

otek
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Bexley, OH
    Posts 2,282
    Rep Power 536871084

seconding Oteks suggestion -

look to M2000 or M3000's or even M4000's as budget allows.
    A good argument could be made that a slightly older top of the line box still does more for you than a cheaper current product that is all budget focused. You'll hear the budget focus.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location ██████████
    Posts 6,404
    Rep Power 402653927

I have the M300, had it in my guitar rack until I realized that as you change presets it has a second of no audio. That means Bad Times™ for guitar. It's fine for live work in pubs and stuff. I don't think I'd use it as a bit of studio kit.
    Gearwire.com Drum Mixing Tutorial: The best way of course is an oscilloscope... but, we don't have that, we don't have that here, so we have to use our ears...
    Roadside Outcast Dept. Always picked last for sports
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location On location...
    Posts 4,904
    Rep Power 536871171

I don't think I'd use it as a bit of studio kit.
    Why not?

I do...

And it's been on productions I've worked on that have gone to over 145 countries, and the work has never been rejected because I used a "cheap reverb".

Yes...it has limits.

Is it an M5000? No.

But unless you are doing the kind of thing where there is a need for it to change sound, and there is never a moment where sound is not being fed to it, I can't see a problem.

Cheers,
    Tim
    Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity.

The best radio mic system that money can buy is ALMOST as good as a $20 cable.

One of the most important things to remember about sound is:
    'Sucks' is always conducted better than 'Rules'. - Pimp-X wisdom

Never underestimate the power of stupid - Blackie C (RIP)

Ego and talent seldom go hand in hand... Talent and humble on the other hand... - Zoesch

Weedy ignores this simple bit of glaring obviousness because he is an "ELECTRIC BASS GUITARIST"(coughcough)
    and views the kick drum as a "bass riff rhythmic pattern suggestion generator" - Slipperman
    goes looking for thin ice to walk on Not as sentimental as those other silly valentines.
    Join Date Nov 2009
    Location Austria
    Posts 82
    Rep Power 111364411

The power supply on the M5000 is under spec'd, i have owned two of them over the years and on each one I have had to recap the psu because the display wasnt lighting up or the level meters were going crazy....the caps were leaking very badly , after replacing them with higher values everything was fine, just something to beware of when buying a secondhand M5000.
    "Your jedi shit does'nt work on me"