I thought this post was really interesting. Let's Play a Word Game [via copyhype]:

Particularly:

Originally Posted by The Copyright Blog
Originally Posted by The Guardian
Google acknowledged that it was possible to develop the technology proactively to monitor websites for such material in order that the material does not appear in the results of searches. We find their objections in principle to developing such technology totally unconvincing. Google and other search engines should take steps to ensure that their websites are not used as vehicles to breach the law and should actively develop and use such technology. We recommend that if legislation is necessary to require them to do so it should be introduced.
not to mention

Originally Posted by The Guardian
Whilst damages for breaches of ********* are never as good as preventing the breach in the first place, the maximum level of damages that has been awarded is too low to act as a real deterrent. We recommend that the courts should have the power to award exemplary damages in ********* cases, if necessary by giving the courts that power through legislation. In deciding whether to award exemplary damages the courts should take into account the financial situation of the media organisation concerned.
How about this one from Tim Berners-Lee

Originally Posted by Berners-Lee
It’s mine – you can’t have it. If you want to use it for something, then you have to negotiate with me. I have to agree, I have to understand what I’m getting in return.
What do you think they’re all talking about? What word have I asterisked-out?

If you’re guessing “copyright” you are, sadly, wrong. However it fits, doesn’t it?

They are, as you probably guessed, talking about “privacy” or personal data in one form or another.
The whole post is pretty illuminating, however I doubt it will be news to anyone here.

What a surprise then that those who seek to weaken copyright are the same companies who want to see privacy laws weakened.

I'm right at the upper cusp of the "We the Web Kids" generation (More like an older brother, really). I sincerely wish that my peers would employ a bit more cynicism.