Thread: Axl Rose declines induction to R'n'R Hall of Fame

Hates these rank titles! Wife left with tractor salesman...got John Deere letter
    Join Date Jun 2011
    Location In a House.
    Posts 203
    Rep Power 0

Default Re: Axl Rose declines induction to R'n'R Hall of Fame

It's simple. Jann Wenner hates Rush; therefore Rush will never be in the "Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame", nor will any other band that Jann Wenner hates.

Somehow, I don't think Rush are shitting bricks over their repeated exclusion. They're too busy making the damn music. And thank fuck for that.
    Who is this Rush band everybody is talking about?
    wardrobe malfunction investigator 329 M/S Hen=Mock Chicken!
    Join Date Jan 2011
    Location England
    Posts 35
    Rep Power 134217803

Still 'twas amusing when AR fired Eagles of Death Metal on stage on their first support show.. (screaming 'pigeons of shit metal' on the mic) though he was probably lucky Josh Homme wasn't playing (with EODM) on that tour..
    Craves piCklEmiLk Got punched for singing "Hit Me With Your Best Shot"
    Join Date Mar 2007
    Location Atlanta
    Posts 445
    Rep Power 536871019

GnR gets inducted, but Rush is left out?

Oh I was *so* waiting for somebody to say this, thank you!

You see, the point of a Hall of Fame is to generate ticket, merchandise and special event revenue off the fame, notoriety or draw of celebrities without actually having to pay them for appearances.

Can't afford to book Justin Beiber for a concert? No problem! Just open a "Teenie-Fag Hall of Fame" and put up pictures of him, people will come in droves to pay their respects.

So, understanding that a "Hall of Fame" is simply a revenue opportunity, you can see that there is no agreed-upon standard for inclusion or exclusion and each "Hall" determines their own criteria. Usually that means that whoever the owner of the facility likes is in, and everyone else is out.

Musical tastes being what they are it boils down to the "chocolate ice cream" argument. Some folks like chocolate, some folks don't. Both opinions are equally valid because it's a subjective taste question.

I'd personally rather stuff shooter marbles up my urethra than listen to 2 Rush songs in a row because I put them into the same category of "music I hate" as Celine Dion and Yngwie Malmsteen. But hey, if you dig the Queens of Canadian Pussrock then more power to ya, dawg.

But to say "Well GnR is in the Hall of Fame but Rush isn't?" is like saying, "Chocolate is on your list of favorite ice creams but Butter Pecan isn't?" If you want Butter Pecan on the list, make your own goddamn list. Yours will be just as gay as mine, but at least it'll make you happy.
    -------

Even a blind hog finds an acorn once in a while...
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location In the best swing state in the US
    Posts 5,150
    Rep Power 536871179

I just think G-n-R's body of work isn't big enough.....you don't put a guy in the baseball HOF for only playing a couple of years...

2 albums, (I count Use Your Illusions as one record since both albums came out the same day), a cover record, an EP of outtakes and a monstrosity that took 15 years to make is not enough to qualify for HOF statis.....Chicago had 13 platinum selling albums and Rush 14 platinum albums.....THAT's a HOF body of work.....
    Peace,

Jerryskid

"...An entire genre of music based around the Hail Mary rescue attempt of an un-compable Cher vocal performance. Who knew? ..."-Dwoz

" Where'd I put my damn Metamucil? When's Paul Harvey coming on? Why are my pants pulled up around my chest?
    " ..Droolbucket

"A blandly designed masterwork that could inspire any reasonable citizen of California to launch a race war."-Chuck Klosterman on the Beatle's White Album

Join Date Jan 2008
    Location Belgistan
    Posts 1,151
    Rep Power 2500000000

THAT's a HOF body of work.....
    But doesn't that beg the question: "what are the criteria?"

Let's forget the "R&R" qualifier for a moment... how do they pick the artists, and how many artists in there are perhaps not even close to licking the shoes of other artists who didn't make the "cut"?

(I mean this as a comment way beyond G&R or Rush BTW).

And yes, I do know that music is all about "feel" and "make you do a little dance". Subjective, quoi.

Edit: (and this is meant as an, albeit silly, challenge) Why didn't Jacques Brel make the cut?)
    "My dad was a Chiwawa, and my mum a Great Dane. That makes me a Great Wawa. And if you think I look funny, wait until you see my big brother." The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers.
    Hot Rats Greatest Hits Loves Jules and The Polar Bears
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 4,416
    Rep Power 536871155

But doesn't that beg the question: "what are the criteria?"
    Great question.
    The answer is
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$
    You guys are all talking about the R&R HOF. It's a successful nomination.

This ain't Cooperstown. It's not an honor bestowed by your peers, it's a commercial venture.
    To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
    -Henri Poincare
    Caveman of Altamira Enjoys scratching self too much
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Round Rock, Texas
    Posts 714
    Rep Power 536871032

Queens of Canadian Pussrock

Whatever, I likes me some scifi, and I likes me some chops. Mix and serve. Sue me. I think their best work was Permanent Waves, their last on 2"... them and Max Websters "Universal Juveniles"... They really should rethink the whole "Terry Brown" thing, he helped them bring elegance and nuance to their sound, not the current L2ing's and dirty room mics... they've basically ruined their last 3 albums clearly having never heard the term "digital clipping"...

but I digress...

crunch

"If I had a nickel for every project that went bad I'd have a bag of nickels. Then I would use that bag of nickels to beat former band members." - blackieC

"I have a well-thought-out plan that carries minimal risk to innocent bystanders"

"REMEMBER: The air NEVER KILLED ANYBODY. It's the ground that kills ya. KEEP THOSE METERS PINNED." - slipperman

Fix your console! AnalogConsole.com Forums
    Join Date Jan 2008
    Location Belgistan
    Posts 1,151
    Rep Power 2500000000

You guys are all talking about the R&R HOF.
    Hmmm., good point!

Bugger!
    "My dad was a Chiwawa, and my mum a Great Dane. That makes me a Great Wawa. And if you think I look funny, wait until you see my big brother." The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers.
    Hates these rank titles! Wife left with tractor salesman...got John Deere letter
    Join Date Jun 2011
    Location In a House.
    Posts 203
    Rep Power 0

Oh I was *so* waiting for somebody to say this, thank you!

You see, the point of a Hall of Fame is to generate ticket, merchandise and special event revenue off the fame, notoriety or draw of celebrities without actually having to pay them for appearances.

Can't afford to book Justin Beiber for a concert? No problem! Just open a "Teenie-Fag Hall of Fame" and put up pictures of him, people will come in droves to pay their respects.

So, understanding that a "Hall of Fame" is simply a revenue opportunity, you can see that there is no agreed-upon standard for inclusion or exclusion and each "Hall" determines their own criteria. Usually that means that whoever the owner of the facility likes is in, and everyone else is out.

Musical tastes being what they are it boils down to the "chocolate ice cream" argument. Some folks like chocolate, some folks don't. Both opinions are equally valid because it's a subjective taste question.

I'd personally rather stuff shooter marbles up my urethra than listen to 2 Rush songs in a row because I put them into the same category of "music I hate" as Celine Dion and Yngwie Malmsteen. But hey, if you dig the Queens of Canadian Pussrock then more power to ya, dawg.

But to say "Well GnR is in the Hall of Fame but Rush isn't?" is like saying, "Chocolate is on your list of favorite ice creams but Butter Pecan isn't?" If you want Butter Pecan on the list, make your own goddamn list. Yours will be just as gay as mine, but at least it'll make you happy.
    AHOF Candidate right here....dawg.
    Being Over There Now The 'Smart' Olsen Twin
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location here I am, you're looking at m
    Posts 3,561
    Rep Power 536871127

Max Websters "Universal Juveniles"
    Now, there's an album that will never even come close to sniffing the ass of the RRHOF. It's just too fucking brilliant. Kim Mitchell should be as much of a household name south of the 49th as he is above it, IMNTLBFHO (℠ Shotgun).

IIRC there is a Canuckistanian RRHOF, isn't there? Or do the likes of Rush and April Wine merely get badges from the Governor-General? At the very least, do Canadian schoolchildren study Neil Peart or Pye Dubois lyrics as part of the curriculum?
    Join Date Mar 2007
    Location Atlanta
    Posts 445
    Rep Power 536871019

AHOF Candidate right here....dawg.

That the best you can do? I thought all you Rush fans knew multi-syllabic words and whatnot.
    -------

Junior assistant coffee maker trainee Reads Playboy for the articles
    Join Date Mar 2011
    Location Seattle, WA
    Posts 1,030
    Rep Power 126890142

If I have to hear tom sawyer one more time
    Every time you use a preset, a puppy dies.

Think of the puppies
    Originally Posted by Maurice Gerbehringer
    2. OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS
    Use your ears.
    Join Date Mar 2007
    Location Atlanta
    Posts 445
    Rep Power 536871019

I'm not sure if anything else needs to be said other than this:

-------

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Getting smaller every day
    Posts 3,146
    Rep Power 536871112

The thing is, someone must still care about their shit, because it was only a couple years ago I worked a stadium G'n'R show that was pretty much sold out.

(We weren't allowed to LOOK at Axl as he left the stage, and had to be like 40 feet away from his path. I could at least understand the security at the Britney Spears shows, given the number of single tickets sold to middle aged men, but for Axl Rose? WTF!)

At any rate, I'm not a fan, but someone must be, given how many people will still come see them play, even without the actual band being there.

Gabriel
    Living Car Free since 05/25/2007

Hoffman Guitars

My Guitars

The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is that vampires are allergic to bullshit!!
    Richard Pryor
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Songwriter Gulch
    Posts 9,723
    Rep Power 536871333

It's simple. Jann Wenner hates Rush; therefore Rush will never be in the "Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame", nor will any other band that Jann Wenner hates...
    That's been the deal from the very beginning. A bunch of folks I know put untold hours into the project only to have Jann move to New York and then auction everything they'd done off as a tourist trap to the highest bidding city.
    Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Georgetown Masters 615 254-3233
    Interview
    Artists are the gatekeepers of truth!- Paul Robeson
    Join Date Aug 2010
    Posts 17
    Rep Power 0

I think Axl realizes the Rock and Roll hall of fame is stupid
    I mean what serious rocker like Axl would want to be affiliated with like likes of Bruce Springsteen Tom Petty and Abba??
    that is not rock and roll

I think Axl is just using the GnR rift as an excuse but he really just
    thinks the Hall is lamoid
    Large dairy air enthusiast Portable toilet attendant
    Join Date Apr 2010
    Location Second largest French City
    Posts 1,161
    Rep Power 536871005

I mean what serious rocker like Axl would want to be affiliated with like likes of Bruce Springsteen Tom Petty and Abba??

"Lamoid"?

The emotionally and tonally deaf cannot hear the important things and never will. They will scream to the heavens the rest of us are wrong and produce useless papers to prove their point.
    Anybody claiming to be the first probably wasn't!
    www.timvandeven.com
    Junior assistant coffee maker trainee ACME recording engineer...just add water.
    Join Date Jun 2011
    Posts 859
    Rep Power 536870980

Are you a sarcasticoid or an asteroid?
    Join Date Jan 2008
    Location Belgistan
    Posts 1,151
    Rep Power 2500000000

Are you a sarcasticoid or an asteroid?
    Ahem...