Thread: Trident Series 70 a good sounding board?

Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Home Skooled
    Join Date Apr 2012
    Posts 10
    Rep Power 65

Default Trident Series 70 a good sounding board?

Hey all I am looking to upgrade my board right now I have a TOFT ATB 32. I'm looking at buying a Trident 70 but I want to get your opinions on how it sounds. Also how different does it sound from an 80b?

Thanks
    Voice like Marcel Marceau Snarfer extraordinaire
    Join Date Sep 2008
    Location The pub, Sydney
    Posts 272
    Rep Power 506921288

Default Re: Trident Series 70 a good sounding board?

I'm very happy with my Toft considering what I spent on it. Would you mind describing why you feel you need to upgrade it? I'm always interested in better. Are you committed to upgrading?
    Junior assistant coffee maker trainee ACME recording engineer...just add water.
    Join Date Jun 2011
    Posts 859
    Rep Power 536871012

I did a couple sessions on a miniature blue Trident once. I think it was a Series 65? It was incredibly noisy. The EQ was quite coarse/wide Q but relatively musical as I remember.

Having been raised on a (heavily modified) TSM, I was a bit shocked at how toy-like it was. Did not even seem to come from the same company.

If it's the same board (probably not), I can't imagine it being better than a Toft.
    Roadside Outcast Dept. Short-rope candidate
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location On location...
    Posts 5,067
    Rep Power 536871208

And there is the Series 82:

http://www.trident-audio.com/series82.html

Worth looking at just from the "I won't have to sell a kidney just to get an old one up to spec..." factor.

Cheers,
    Tim
    Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity.

The best radio mic system that money can buy is ALMOST as good as a $20 cable.

One of the most important things to remember about sound is:
    'Sucks' is always conducted better than 'Rules'. - Pimp-X wisdom

Never underestimate the power of stupid - Blackie C (RIP)

Ego and talent seldom go hand in hand... Talent and humble on the other hand... - Zoesch

Weedy ignores this simple bit of glaring obviousness because he is an "ELECTRIC BASS GUITARIST"(coughcough)
    and views the kick drum as a "bass riff rhythmic pattern suggestion generator" - Slipperman
    Surfing the net at work every day! Drives a Zamboni to work
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 349
    Rep Power 536871051

The 70 was/ and can be, with lots of maintainance, a good sounding rock board. (the 80 was way better, imho.). there are some build problems, such as the patch-bays and channel strips are in trays that seem to need constant cleaning and re-seating. The eq was odd, but really could sound good....I would hazard a guess that almost any 70 will need extensive re-capping, and cleaning. ( pots, switches, faders, cards). I haven't used a Toft, so I can't say whether it's worse, better, or so different that there is no comparison. I made some pretty OK records on some 70s, but the last time I used one the age factor was really getting in the way. ( the board, not me......, though I was older than the board....)

The rub with any older board is that you have to figure out if the buying and fixing it up cost is in your interest.
    j
    Join Date Dec 2011
    Location NYC
    Posts 56
    Rep Power 328216616

I use an 80B pretty regularly and it sounds great. The pre's are really nice, as is the EQ, but it is somewhat delicate. As was said previously you are going to have to account for plenty of maintenance if the one I use is anything to go by.
    http://thewombforums.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6867&dateline=1327985  832
    Join Date Apr 2012
    Posts 10
    Rep Power 65

I'm very happy with my Toft considering what I spent on it. Would you mind describing why you feel you need to upgrade it? I'm always interested in better. Are you committed to upgrading?
    Hey man, here is problem with the TOFT, or problems. It has a minimal amount of functionality. I need insert points on the channel that are pre or post eq selectable. It has a lack of headroom, it's eq doesn't have adjustable width and the build quality is just not up to par....

Now, for what you and I paid for the console? It's damn good I just need a little more.

To everyone else, thanks for the info. I'm happy I switched from that other place I couldn't get any help. I don't have the cash or time to be fixing up a console as I go. This is a smaller but still commercial place. Pretty much I don't have the cash for an 80b. I have the cash for a 80b that needs a little work but that's not what I'm looking for. The new Audient may be my new console. Decent everything but no transformers on input.... dammit. If anyone has any preference to Audient as I have only used one briefly please let me know!

Thanks
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location On location...
    Posts 5,067
    Rep Power 536871208

It has a lack of headroom,
    There is a relatively simple mod available from - I think - Jim Williams which apparently addresses this.

Cheers,
    Tim

Ego and talent seldom go hand in hand... Talent and humble on the other hand... - Zoesch

Weedy ignores this simple bit of glaring obviousness because he is an "ELECTRIC BASS GUITARIST"(coughcough)
    and views the kick drum as a "bass riff rhythmic pattern suggestion generator" - Slipperman
    Join Date Apr 2012
    Posts 10
    Rep Power 65

Yeah that is actually a good lower cost solution!
    Join Date Jun 2011
    Posts 859
    Rep Power 536871012

I think Slipperman has some special mods too he once sugested to Jim Williams. Although I could not quite word them like him...
    Voice like Marcel Marceau Snarfer extraordinaire
    Join Date Sep 2008
    Location The pub, Sydney
    Posts 272
    Rep Power 506921288

I'm about to get the preamp upgrades to tryout on 2 channels and the master section upgrade. Lets see if I may aswell have just dragged the cards behind my car for a few hours.
    Join Date Apr 2012
    Posts 10
    Rep Power 65

I having hard time deciding in between these two consoles. Everyone has been very helpful here so far, it's awesome. Now if I can pick your brains one more time... well for now.

Anyway I have this Trident 70 off of VK's website that is in pretty much perfect shape. The I have this shiny new Audient that just came out.

The Trident has transformers on input and the Audient doesn't. So on yada yada. I know this is really my own personal choice but if I need to know anything that would persuade me towards one or the other that would be very helpful!

I do like how big and bad ass the Tridents are.........
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 14,275
    Rep Power 536871515

I need insert points on the channel that are pre or post eq selectable.
    Not an option on the Trident 70 and 75 either. Although IIRC the 80b has it.

it's eq doesn't have adjustable width
    Neither does the Neve 8068.

otek
    "Tube color is not the 'thing'. Why would the most linear amplifying device have a color?" - Jonte Knif
    Has Many Personal Intergritys Expensive Boat Anchor
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,663
    Rep Power 536871395

Neither does the Neve 8068.

otek
    well, not continuously variable Q

but a narrow q button
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 14,275
    Rep Power 536871515

well, not continuously variable Q

but a narrow q button

Oops. Its been a couple of years.

otek
    "Tube color is not the 'thing'. Why would the most linear amplifying device have a color?" - Jonte Knif
    Join Date Apr 2012
    Posts 10
    Rep Power 65

Hey guys thanks for all of your input. I would like to pull this conversation into new ground here. ONLY because I was offered an amazing deal on a Neve V3, the three boards that I'm in a toss up right now are the Trident 70, The Audient ASP4816 and this fully recapped as of 2010 36 channel Neve V3 that I can get for roughly the same cost as the Trident. Now this is a commercial place and I need the best all rounder I can get. From the three I mentioned does anybody have any opinions or thoughts on which board would out perform the other?

Mainly in between the Trident and Neve.

Thanks in advance
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location On location...
    Posts 5,067
    Rep Power 536871208

In another thread, I asked a question about the Neve V series consoles, and why they were hated.

Here's Mixerman's response:

http://www.thewombforums.com/showpos...4&postcount=11

HTH

Cheers,
    Tim

Join Date Apr 2012
    Posts 10
    Rep Power 65

Well thanks for that, they have a much bigger feature set than the 70 for mixing but I wonder if the sound better overall as well.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location On location...
    Posts 5,067
    Rep Power 536871208

Ok.

This new Audient has a price of roughly 11,000GBP...

If the Neve is in the mix at around the same price point, I'm having a hard time envisioning what condition a Neve V at that price would be like.

You'd have to think that it is going to be pretty rough to be going for probably less than 10% of its original purchase price.

You'd want to budget around that much again to bring the desk up to spec, and keep some money aside for ongoing maintenance.

Cheers,
    Tim

Join Date Jun 2011
    Posts 859
    Rep Power 536871012

Does it have flying faders? I imagine it has a rh producer's desk/patch bay. Those boards run really hot and are hard on the caps. It helps to run them without the back/side panels and keep the cr pretty cool. (Same type of problems as the Mozart RN.) Although a smaller frame might be less problematic...