Thread: Trident Series 70 a good sounding board?

Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Home Skooled
    Join Date Apr 2012
    Posts 10
    Rep Power 35

Default Re: Trident Series 70 a good sounding board?

Hey guys it's a stupid deal on the V3. Here is the link. I personally contacted the seller and he is offering it even lower to me personally before he moves it to a Paris gear dealership in a few weeks.

http://www.larkingslist.com/

Follow the link to used consoles.

It should be way more expensive than he is selling it to me for which is $18,000 plus shipping.
    Junior assistant coffee maker trainee ACME recording engineer...just add water.
    Join Date Jun 2011
    Posts 859
    Rep Power 536870981

If I was seriously considering it, I'd go check it out in person with the tech who would be in charge of it afterwards and have him make me his health report and other comments.
    A Top 10 Beaver Licker Manet, not Monet!
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Nouvelle Zealande
    Posts 1,922
    Rep Power 2500000000

With the right modifications you could probably turn a Trident 70 into a pretty good spawning ground for large mouth bass.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location On location...
    Posts 4,923
    Rep Power 536871174

It should be way more expensive than he is selling it to me for which is $18,000 plus shipping.

Well...I know that shipping a console of that size and weight to Australia was going to cost about $7000 a few years back, and I can't imagine that freight costs have gone down, so this deal is starting to look worse and worse.

Have you had a quote for crate and freight yet?

Ok...and just to reiterate, from that same thread I linked to previously about the V series, here's Weedy's response that Mixerman alluded to:

http://www.thewombforums.com/showpos...3&postcount=10

HTH

Cheers,
    Tim

PS. As a wise man once said: the wrong tool at the right price is still the wrong tool.
    Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity.

The best radio mic system that money can buy is ALMOST as good as a $20 cable.

One of the most important things to remember about sound is:
    'Sucks' is always conducted better than 'Rules'. - Pimp-X wisdom

Never underestimate the power of stupid - Blackie C (RIP)

Ego and talent seldom go hand in hand... Talent and humble on the other hand... - Zoesch

Weedy ignores this simple bit of glaring obviousness because he is an "ELECTRIC BASS GUITARIST"(coughcough)
    and views the kick drum as a "bass riff rhythmic pattern suggestion generator" - Slipperman
    Blonde on Blonde is a record? Calls Football Soccer
    Join Date Apr 2008
    Location JHB, RSA
    Posts 2,330
    Rep Power 536871069

Originally Posted by Slipperman
    Deny everything and claim it's all "Haas-Moeller and Graffenfrimitz" MICING techniques and CAN'T be removed from the tracks without damaging the stereo field due to the "Von Stauffenberg Effect".
    Pan Music Productions
    http://gregbester.xp3.biz
    Join Date Apr 2012
    Posts 10
    Rep Power 35

So I talked with a local here who has used them and I decided to hold off do to the overall rating by users. Right now I'm not sure which direction I want to go, I just know I have a control room that needs to be making money five days ago. My dealer is emailing me a list from a German friend and we are going to plow threw all of the options. There is a DDR DMR for sale right next to me though maybe I'll go take a look. I'll throw the list and prices up here to help you guys throw out some useful info as you all seem to be doing in full.
    Join Date Apr 2012
    Posts 10
    Rep Power 35

Not much of a "list" there.

Cheers
    Right?
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Madame de Pompadours boudoir
    Posts 1,832
    Rep Power 536871071

With the right modifications you could probably turn a Trident 70 into a pretty good spawning ground for large mouth bass.

Just add water.
    The Comte

"all is indecipherable to him who is not prepared; he can see nothing, read nothing in the interior..."
    Junior assistant coffee maker trainee ACME recording engineer...just add water.
    Join Date Jun 2011
    Posts 859
    Rep Power 536870981

Not much of a "list" there.
    And talk to it tenderly everyday...

Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,000
    Rep Power 2500000000

Audients are fine, work nicely and won't have you calling a tech every other week.

Skip the buss comp or get the mod they will send you if you ask.

If you are in a working room (as opposed to a home studio) that needs to have a functional desk and not a museum bit of kit that really impresses nobody skip the Neve V3 and the Trident 70.

There are at least a half-dozen folks here who have worked on my former 8024 and a number of Cape mixes from different engineers who used that desk.

Can't speak to the 4816 from direct experience but I can say if you can't make a good record on the 8024 the problem is operator error.

Cheers,
    Aardvark

I actually almost arranged a successful tree incident that should have killed Slipperman. I can do it again.
    A Top 10 Beaver Licker Manet, not Monet!
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Nouvelle Zealande
    Posts 1,922
    Rep Power 2500000000

I can vouch for that desk, and the monitors for that matter
    Join Date Apr 2012
    Posts 10
    Rep Power 35

Hey guys, I didn't want to just leave everyone hanging on here. I did make up my mind but it wasn't with any of the boards on here that we discussed. While I would like to have a Trident desk or Neve I didn't want or need to adopt the tech and maintenance issues that came along with one. So I picked up the SSL X-Desk and the X-Panda expansion with about $12k of new outboard! I will let everybody know how it is running and sounds after I have it all hooked up.

If anyone has any questions about the X-Desk please let me know!

Thanks again for the awesome input,
    Kenny
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 13,529
    Rep Power 536871460

Mostly just comments.

But you're not gonna want to hear them.

otek
    "Tube color is not the 'thing'. Why would the most linear amplifying device have a color?" - Jonte Knif
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,000
    Rep Power 2500000000

Mostly just comments.

But you're not gonna want to hear them.
    Reminds me of the story where a fellow gets a job working on a sheep ranch hundreds of miles from anywhere in the Australian wilderness.

After his first week of serious labour he was pleased to hear the Friday afternoon whistle calling the work day over.

Unsure what the locals did for fun on a Friday night he asked one of the Bruces who told him...

"We get all liquored up then run down the hill into the paddock and fuck us some sheep!"

The fellow was disgusted and left the Bruces to their devices.

After six months of work and zero play he decided one Friday to join in with the others who knew all along he would eventually.

He drank four or five shots and ran down the hill with others to fuck some sheep. He was barely sunk to the nuts when he noticed his fellow sheep-fuckers laughing at him.

Feeling very self-conscious he asked why the other guys where all laughing at him while fucking their own sheep.

"You're fucking one of the UGLY ones!!!!"

Cheers,
    Aardvark

I actually almost arranged a successful tree incident that should have killed Slipperman. I can do it again.
    Join Date Sep 2008
    Location Turin, Italy
    Posts 1,106
    Rep Power 536871023

Now THAT is seriously the funniest metaphor I have heard in ages!

- I fear anybody worried about not sounding like themselves is somebody who really doesn't want to sound like themselves. - Bob Olhsson

Cape 7 Team Mindbenders - Lead Vox

Astrological sign is "Feces"! Prefers rhythm cowbell to lead
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 381
    Rep Power 536871021

Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 10,407
    Rep Power 379012229

Does your dealer have a return policy?
    Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????