Thread: How does anyone in Australia survive?

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location In a Mobile...backstage...all by myself...
    Posts 1,861
    Rep Power 536871100

Default How does anyone in Australia survive?

Ok....

Drop bears.
    Fine...I get it.

Deadly spiders?
    8 of the 10 of the world's deadliest species live with you in some sort of harmony.
    Alright. I'll give you that.

Sharks?
    You got 'em. Not gonna touch'em.

But TREES Stinging you?

Now they talk about FUCKING TREES Stinging you?
    What the fuck is it with you lot down there? Why the fuck have you lot not just packed up and MOVED?

(I know...some tried...went to NZ...look how THAT turned out!!)

This is why we have winter...-20 tends to kill things before they get big enough to kill you.

That includes the fucking trees. You never see a fucking Canadian Maple jump in your path saying "gimme your watch or I'll sting you so hard you'll shit yourself and wish you had enough nerve control to WANT to eat it to cool the pain." Never.

Fucking aussies.

Yes, yes...this is why your men are men...ya, we know. This is also why you started out as a penal colony...everyone expected you to DIE.

How you lot survive is beyond me.

Keep your shit that Stings you.

Fucking stinging trees.

HELL no.

Follow Click Track Audio on Twitter

Check out Click Track Audio on Facebook
    Roadside Outcast Dept. Mallory's missing camera
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location On location...
    Posts 5,049
    Rep Power 536871206

Default Re: How does anyone in Australia survive?

Ah.

Queensland.

That explains it.

As I keep reminding the foreigners: Australia - the country where most of the flora, and all of the fauna wants to kill you just to watch you die.

The unsaid addendum is that some of those killers like to play with their victims first...

Much like a cat plays with a mouse, or a killer whale plays with a seal before finishing it.

Just another day in paradise...and Queensland.

Cheers,
    Tim
    Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity.

The best radio mic system that money can buy is ALMOST as good as a $20 cable.

One of the most important things to remember about sound is:
    'Sucks' is always conducted better than 'Rules'. - Pimp-X wisdom

Never underestimate the power of stupid - Blackie C (RIP)

Ego and talent seldom go hand in hand... Talent and humble on the other hand... - Zoesch

Weedy ignores this simple bit of glaring obviousness because he is an "ELECTRIC BASS GUITARIST"(coughcough)
    and views the kick drum as a "bass riff rhythmic pattern suggestion generator" - Slipperman
    Astrological sign is "Feces"! Sees nothing wrong with playing WOW
    Join Date Jul 2007
    Posts 376
    Rep Power 330728588

we survive by toughening the fuck up (kidding)

seriously though, last summer my place was infested with funnel web spiders, good times!

well not quite infested but i caught about 10 of the nasty looking buggers
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location On location...
    Posts 5,049
    Rep Power 536871206

OK.

I must correct an error for you...

(I know...some tried...went to NZ...look how THAT turned out!!)
    The vast majority of the traffic was the other way.

In much the same way as Melbourne is the second largest Greek city...or was some years back...there is enough anecdotal evidence to suggest that Sydney may be the second or third largest New Zealand city.

But anyway...fuck New Zealand.

At least you can try and dodge most of the things that are trying to kill you in Australia, but the actual ground in New Zealand hates the South Sea Scotsmen so much that it will open up and try and swallow them, or fling them into the ocean.

Cheers,
    Tim

Ego and talent seldom go hand in hand... Talent and humble on the other hand... - Zoesch

Weedy ignores this simple bit of glaring obviousness because he is an "ELECTRIC BASS GUITARIST"(coughcough)
    and views the kick drum as a "bass riff rhythmic pattern suggestion generator" - Slipperman
    Sweet Child o' Mime Theo's brother the Painter
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Pretentious City, Straya
    Posts 1,838
    Rep Power 536871099

We also survive an insane amount of Bogans and Douchebags...

It's an interesting place

11 years and counting...

Coded messages in plain text...

Originally Posted by Dwoz
    Most audiophiles could listen to PERFECT pink noise and get just as much enjoyment out of it.
    SoundBlaster™ Expert Jewish Rapper... Busta Hymen
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location On the bright side of life!
    Posts 4,138
    Rep Power 536871175

How does anyone in Australia survive?
    I think breeding faster than getting killed is the answer.

Mac
    Mac

Don't be worried about your anosognosia.

Being a professional is not about how good you are at your best,
    but how good you are at your worst.

Creating complex solutions is easy.

Surfing the net at work every day! Voted for Eisenhower 'cause Lincoln won the war
    Join Date Jul 2010
    Posts 332
    Rep Power 268435574

Researcher Les Moore, alongside a Gympie-Gympie stinging plant.
    They could've came up with a much more bad ass name for such a bad ass organism.

Or is this one of those cases where it is named for what it does to it's victim than what it actually is?

...Bring your toilet paper, tis all I'm saying.
    "Oh, did I just leave out a kick drum?...That's what got me the job. - Brad from Adventure Drums
    Failed snuff radio producer Cock like a KM 84
    Join Date Aug 2007
    Location Somewhere....over the Rainbow
    Posts 1,323
    Rep Power 536871073

I've heard it said that bushman Halligan scoffs at the notion of toxic fauna and beverage, calling it nonsense. If you find yourself being a dinner guest at his flat, don't be surprised if he starts you off with a Gympie-Gympie salad followed by drop bear flank steaks. He's also been known to serve vintage Fosters to help set a pleasant ambiance for a memorable evening.

Join Date Jan 2008
    Location Belgistan
    Posts 1,140
    Rep Power 2500000000

"He’s had too many stings to count but Ernie Rider will never forget the day in 1963 that he was slapped in the face, arms and chest by a stinging tree."

Brutal little fuckers if you ask me!
    "My dad was a Chiwawa, and my mum a Great Dane. That makes me a Great Wawa. And if you think I look funny, wait until you see my big brother." The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers.
    knows every handout in every town Remote recordist...never gets chicks
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
    Posts 635
    Rep Power 536871059

This was my favourite from the piece:

"Writing to Marina in 1994, Australian ex-serviceman Cyril Bromley described falling into a stinging tree during military training on the tableland in World War II. Strapped to a hospital bed for three weeks and administered all manner of unsuccessful treatments, he was sent “as mad as a cut snake” by the pain. Cyril also told of an officer shooting himself after using a stinging-tree leaf for “toilet purposes”.

Oooh. Nasty.

Guitar hack with previous. Stand well back. May sing...
    Voice like Marcel Marceau Snarfer extraordinaire
    Join Date Sep 2008
    Location The pub, Sydney
    Posts 272
    Rep Power 506921286

On top of the flora and fauna killing you. Our local electricity is between 220 and 240 ish volts.
    (it's meant to be 240 volts)

Not a measly 110 volts!

It'll kill ya in a much more fun way!

Almost did to me recently at a gig. A douche bag decided to jump over me while I was patching power. Kicked over a schooner of coke on my arm. Coke conducts electricity.

Spent the best part of a day in emergency while a deadline slipped by.

Before this happened I already had a healthy hatred for hip hop. (or locally called skip hop)

Dare say my feelings for said supposed rhythmic noise have developed a tad.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location In the best swing state in the US
    Posts 5,172
    Rep Power 536871210

and apparently Russell Crowe is dangerous also:

Peace,

Jerryskid

"...An entire genre of music based around the Hail Mary rescue attempt of an un-compable Cher vocal performance. Who knew? ..."-Dwoz

" Where'd I put my damn Metamucil? When's Paul Harvey coming on? Why are my pants pulled up around my chest?
    " ..Droolbucket

"A blandly designed masterwork that could inspire any reasonable citizen of California to launch a race war."-Chuck Klosterman on the Beatle's White Album

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location On location...
    Posts 5,049
    Rep Power 536871206

and apparently Russell Crowe is dangerous also:
    Only because he's prone to throwing cell phones at people...

And...

He's a Kiwi.

Cheers,
    Tim

Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 6,812
    Rep Power 2500000000

Well, we have here in the Northeast USA a plant called the stinging nettle.

It's probably not anywhere near in the same league, but you grab hold of it to pull it out of the garden, and your hand is on fire for hours afterward. Nothing really works to calm the pain either.
    "...but ma, audio engineering IS gainful employment!..."

"...If I wuz at that club where Miles played one note I would have bounced ONE BOTTLE off his shiny fucking coconut. What? He's Phil Glass now?..." -Slipperman

"...never attribute to magic, that which can be explained by conspiracy."
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location In the best swing state in the US
    Posts 5,172
    Rep Power 536871210

Peace,

Jerryskid

"...An entire genre of music based around the Hail Mary rescue attempt of an un-compable Cher vocal performance. Who knew? ..."-Dwoz

" Where'd I put my damn Metamucil? When's Paul Harvey coming on? Why are my pants pulled up around my chest?
    " ..Droolbucket

"A blandly designed masterwork that could inspire any reasonable citizen of California to launch a race war."-Chuck Klosterman on the Beatle's White Album

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location In a Mobile...backstage...all by myself...
    Posts 1,861
    Rep Power 536871100

More Proof of Aussie's being insane for living where they do:

The SPIDERS eat the fucking SNAKES!

Where in God's good name do the spiders get so full of piss and vinegar that they attempt to GO AFTER a snake...let alone WIN and EAT ONE?!?!

Fuck you, Australia. I'm not coming anywhere near.
    Follow Click Track Audio on Twitter

Check out Click Track Audio on Facebook
    From New Jersey...and admits it! Irascible redactor
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location London, UK
    Posts 772
    Rep Power 536871058

On top of the flora and fauna killing you. Our local electricity is between 220 and 240 ish volts.
    (it's meant to be 240 volts)

Not a measly 110 volts!

It'll kill ya in a much more fun way!

Almost did to me recently at a gig. A douche bag decided to jump over me while I was patching power. Kicked over a schooner of coke on my arm. Coke conducts electricity.

Spent the best part of a day in emergency while a deadline slipped by.

Before this happened I already had a healthy hatred for hip hop. (or locally called skip hop)

Dare say my feelings for said supposed rhythmic noise have developed a tad.
    Ouch! Sounds nasty, I hope you weren't hurt to badly.

We deal with a lot of 63/3 and powerlock so are in the habit of isolating before patching any power. It's a good habit to get into!
    "I'm interested in nurturing and featuring musicians and music, not constantly cutting people out of car wrecks." Pimp-X
    Surfing the net at work every day! Waterbrother
    Join Date Apr 2010
    Location down under
    Posts 310
    Rep Power 201326694

Well, we have here in the Northeast USA a plant called the stinging nettle.

It's probably not anywhere near in the same league, but you grab hold of it to pull it out of the garden, and your hand is on fire for hours afterward. Nothing really works to calm the pain either.
    We do have stinging nettle as well and these stinging trees you speak of a most likely in far north Queensland where the stinging trees would be the last of your worries,croc's now they are a completely different kettle of fish,and SA Australia and WA Australia there are many shark attacks,where I live,mainly when it's get quite dry,the brown snake's,sometime's get quite aggressive and leave the dunes and hit the beach with the sunbather's this can be quite an experience for the unsuspecting tourist and local alike.

L plate
    Craves piCklEmiLk Got punched for singing "Hit Me With Your Best Shot"
    Join Date Mar 2007
    Location Atlanta
    Posts 439
    Rep Power 536871048

What the fuck, people?

Listen, having eaten often at an authentic Australian restaurant (Outback) I understand that having access to delicious cheese fries every day can be a huge draw to a place. But when the humans are the least dangerous organism in an area, it's time to get the fuck out, yo.

Cheese fries or no cheese fries.

You guys are all welcome in America. There can't be more than a couple hundred of you, right?

Jesus jumped-up christ...stinging trees and snake-eating spiders.
    -------

Even a blind hog finds an acorn once in a while...
    Surfing the net at work every day! Waterbrother
    Join Date Apr 2010
    Location down under
    Posts 310
    Rep Power 201326694

What the fuck, people?

Listen, having eaten often at an authentic Australian restaurant (Outback) I understand that having access to delicious cheese fries every day can be a huge draw to a place. But when the humans are the least dangerous organism in an area, it's time to get the fuck out, yo.

Cheese fries or no cheese fries.

You guys are all welcome in America. There can't be more than a couple hundred of you, right?

Jesus jumped-up christ...stinging trees and snake-eating spiders.
    Thank mate,I'll throw another shrimp on the barbie for ya,seriously though,I have never heard of cheese fries ever in australia,authentic you say lol

L plate