Thread: OT: Stone Coated Steel Roofing Shingles

Join Date Sep 2007
    Location East Glenbeckistan
    Posts 3,792
    Rep Power 536871125

WTF? OT: Stone Coated Steel Roofing Shingles

.....I'm not sure which forum to put this in, so apologies in advance to the mods if this posting has to be moved elsewhere.....

On my studio building, we've decided to completely remove the existing roof including decking and construct brand-new trusses to replace everything because the current wood-portions of the structure are beyond repair. The cinderblock walls will be repointed and the ground level window openings will be bricked shut for both sound-transmission and security reasons.

Due to both my fire insurance as well as local building codes, a "Class A" flame spread rated material must be used when replacing the roof. The building inspector suggested "stone coated steel shingles" instead of asphalt because they are less than half of the weight of conventional fiberglass-backed asphalt shingles and do not require a plywood or OSB sub-roof deck, further reducing the weight load on the structure.

Does anyone here have any experience with stone coated roofing? Opinions - good/bad?

Thanks in advance.

Manufacturer's website - http://www.allmet.com and http://www.fabral.com
    "Far too many people suffer from the anal-cranial inversion. They got their heads stuck up their asses!" - Tom Dowd
    "A great, timeless album is more than just an entertainment app." - Don Was
    "Success does not mean success. You are only as successful as your last hit record." - Patrick Adams (record producer)
    "The tech sector is like a guy in a crowded prison cell, who finds a hand grenade, and sets it off, so that he'll have the entire cell to himself." - Dwoz
    Plays in Winger cover band Born To Be Mild!
    Join Date Jul 2011
    Location Wellington NZ
    Posts 727
    Rep Power 469762099

Default Re: OT: Stone Coated Steel Roofing Shingles

Coated steeel roofing in various forms is by far the most common roofing material in this country due to lightness, strength and wind resistance. It's noisier when it rains, though. Stone coated panels used to have a reputation for shedding their coating, but modern panels appear much improved. Choose a product with a warranty against shedding and excessive fading. If the building's style doesn't demand the classic tile look, consider "long run" roofing steel - panels which run in one piece from ridge to eaves. The second supplier you listed showed some examples.
    Failed snuff radio producer Cock like a Telefunken U-47
    Join Date Aug 2007
    Location Somewhere....over the Rainbow
    Posts 1,307
    Rep Power 536871043

Default Re: OT: Stone Coated Steel Roofing Shingles

Wasn't able to find the composition of metals, but zinc is what you want a lot of. I've been looking to put them on my house for awhile now. Yes they are noisier in rain, but there is a foam underlay that helps dampen that and conserve energy . They also can be marked by debris pretty easy. Advantages: They are a lot lighter and energy efficient. The distributor I was looking at (and I don't remember who it was) had a 50 year guarantee from oxidizing. Get yourself a lot of silicon if you're putting them on yourself. Get snow stops too...especially over doorways.
    Good luck!