Thread: Logic input crackles

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Bexley, OH
    Posts 2,285
    Rep Power 536871084

Default Logic input crackles

Funny issue - any thoughts welcome.

Pretty powerful Mac pro, ton of ram, current version of logic and lion. I was setting things up so I had a good default midi template for composing with real synths. I had switched to input monitoring. After a few minutes I would get crackly sounds on the audio input monitoring. When I adjusted the buffer (either up OR down) it would be fine again for a while and then crackles again. Odd that it would always start fine and then crackles would appear. Since adjusting the buffer would fix it for awhile it must be related to that.

So if anyone wants to point me in the right direction that would be cool. When I can dig into this again I want to have this template all happy for the sake of any composing that I'm threatening to do.
    Sweet Child o' Mime Theo's brother the Painter
    Join Date Nov 2011
    Location Charlotte, NC
    Posts 1,846
    Rep Power 536871008

Default Re: Logic input crackles

What happens if you turn low latency monitoring on?

What's your interface and connection?

Mike
    CAPE 10: Team Uprising
    Being Over There Now The 'Smart' Olsen Twin
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location here I am, you're looking at m
    Posts 3,561
    Rep Power 536871126

I confess I'm stumped by this one. IIRC at one point you were using MOTU interfaces—are you still (or were you ever)? But I've never experienced anything like that with my Traveler unless it was at source to begin with.
    Most friends are "on the inside". Skate America finalist
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location On the left coast
    Posts 686
    Rep Power 536871029

I had a similar problem that was the result of running two converter units that were not syncing to a common clock. When I configured one unit to "slave" to the other units clock through the ADAT connection, all was well. I am using MOTU 8pre interfaces, but I have heard that any sort of interface will exhibit the behavior if not configured properly. Hope this helps.
    ȻΘϨ₸Θ₸HɖƓ
    quickanddirtyaudio.com
    CAPE 10 - Team Witty Placard
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Bexley, OH
    Posts 2,285
    Rep Power 536871084

It's all metric halo interfaces.

Logic is one of the only programs I use an aggregate sound device in. DP does it's own aggregation better than core audio. Anyhow, I've been having issues with the aggregate device that I suspect are related to a bug in core audio.

Of note, my interfaces all work properly in the MIO console which is the interface control panel. Aggregate device has been funny, I suspect either because of it trying to do something with clocking or because some interfaces are hung off of FireWire cards in the Mac pro and I'm not sure that they all get recognized by the system before the aggregate audio driver is loaded. I'll keep playing with it and see.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,561
    Rep Power 536871126

Are you using Soundflower to aggregate the devices? Maybe check latency or buffer settings in there?
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Bexley, OH
    Posts 2,285
    Rep Power 536871084

I think this might all be about the way core audio creates the aggregate devices. I'm not making use of sound flower .this doesn't happen in DP. Hmm.
    Only used HGH to help team Makes love just like a woman
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 2,057
    Rep Power 536871076

I think this might all be about the way core audio creates the aggregate devices. I'm not making use of sound flower .this doesn't happen in DP. Hmm.

Yeah I think that's it, but I have no idea for reals.

Funny how that sound is so obviously bad bits ya don't even think to check the rest of the chain. I have NO idea what's going on. The longest treatment for me is to reset the audio drivers. I think this is why changing the buffer size helps, it forces enough variables to reset to do the job. There was a UI Button for this in 8 no? Like "reinitialize core audio" or something like that. But I can't find it now, so I just change the device to the built in interface and then back to mine and
    the problem goes away for a month. Not very Geeky I know but shit is otherwise so stable I haven't been motivated to really suss it. I don't even want to get curious about it

Are you otherwise making system demands on core audio?
    I do, so I expect to pay the price. But my box isn't a production box it's a collaboration box so I got so much different audio running it's not funny, Logic, iTunes, Skype, whatever my "user agents" are demanding for video and p3's . I'm actually truly impressed it's as stable as it is.

-mous

All programmers are optimists. Perhaps this modern sorcery especially attracts those who believe in happy endings and fairy god-mothers.

-Fred Brooks
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location In my happy place!
    Posts 1,550
    Rep Power 536871058

Sushi Re: Logic input crackles

If you are aggregating multiple devices, have you set one of them as a master word clock, or S/PDIF, and slaved the others to it? If not, this will produce the exact symptoms you are experiencing because the devices are running independent of each other.

jord
    Real guitar heroes play real guitars!!

Jordan%20L.%20Chilcott
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Bexley, OH
    Posts 2,285
    Rep Power 536871084

whats odd is the the aggregation in DP works fine, and all of the interfaces are working and passing word clock properly otherwise, in the MIO control panel for instance.

One factor in play that might be relevant is that some of my interfaces are hung off of firewire cards to distribute the bandwidth in the Mac Pro. I suspect that the aggregate device driver might be having issues because of that. I cannot reliably use a core audio aggregate device right now and that sucks. Glad it's not an issue in DP.

How would one go about sending this to Apple as a bug report. It's a fully reproducible bug with aggregated devices in core audio when they are coming from multiple firewire busses. The interface otherwise are sharing clock from the master interface just fine.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,561
    Rep Power 536871126

Logic Pro menu => Provide Logic Pro Feedback.
    Caveman of Altamira Enjoys scratching self too much
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Round Rock, Texas
    Posts 714
    Rep Power 536871032

hey fellas!
    Ummm, I may be wayyyy off the mark here, janitor talking to the guys in lab coats and whatnot, but whenever I hear "crackles", as it were, it has always been, without fail, a clock issue. You might want to make something else the master and see if you still get it?

If I'm right, send us a dusty bottle of scotch.

If I'm wrong, can we at least have some malt liquor or something?

crunch

"If I had a nickel for every project that went bad I'd have a bag of nickels. Then I would use that bag of nickels to beat former band members." - blackieC

"I have a well-thought-out plan that carries minimal risk to innocent bystanders"

"REMEMBER: The air NEVER KILLED ANYBODY. It's the ground that kills ya. KEEP THOSE METERS PINNED." - slipperman

Fix your console! AnalogConsole.com Forums
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Bexley, OH
    Posts 2,285
    Rep Power 536871084

I could really believe it's a clock issue, but this isn't inherently with the interfaces, with their control panel, with Digital Perfomer, or with any of the interfaces when used individually. Only when core audio aggregates them, which makes me think that the core audio aggregate device is not handling clock properly in this instance. weird stuff.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Bexley, OH
    Posts 2,285
    Rep Power 536871084

oh, forgot to add the most important clue.
    this used to work in snow leopard. this doesn't work in Lion.
    boo.
    Sweet Child o' Mime Theo's brother the Painter
    Join Date Nov 2011
    Location Charlotte, NC
    Posts 1,846
    Rep Power 536871008

oh, forgot to add the most important clue.
    this used to work in snow leopard. this doesn't work in Lion.
    boo.

Hmmm...maybe it's Lion? LOL

Mike
    CAPE 10: Team Uprising
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 1,550
    Rep Power 536871058

Sushi Re: Logic input crackles

I could really believe it's a clock issue, but this isn't inherently with the interfaces, with their control panel, with Digital Perfomer, or with any of the interfaces when used individually. Only when core audio aggregates them, which makes me think that the core audio aggregate device is not handling clock properly in this instance. weird stuff.
    That's the only time this will happen... and it's because you are aggregating two free running devices. That's why they need to be tied by the word clock or SP/DIF.

The fact that this didn't occur for you in earlier OS's is more luck than anything else. CoreAudio hasn't changed since Leopard, when it went to 64-bit.

jord

Jordan%20L.%20Chilcott
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Bexley, OH
    Posts 2,285
    Rep Power 536871084

I'm using 5 interfaces which always have been clocked properly together. It's only the core audio aggregate device that isn't dealing with them properly. One is the word clock master and the other four are fed wc via bnc cable. This works in DP, and the MIO console for the interfaces also shows them online and properly locked to the clock. The issue is specific to core audio aggregate devices. They all work fine if selected as individual interfaces too, so I know the hardware is fine. There is some issue with how core audio is aggregating audio devices.
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 1,550
    Rep Power 536871058

I have a three interfaces tied together with no issues. Masters and slaves are set and Logic, Reason and CoreAudio have no problem with the aggregate.

jord

Jordan%20L.%20Chilcott
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Bexley, OH
    Posts 2,285
    Rep Power 536871084

My 5 interfaces are hung off of two FireWire cards because MH recommends no more than 3 interfaces per FireWire bus due to bandwidth. I think that creating the aggregate utilizing interfaces on FireWire cards is an issue and I have no alternative that I know of.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Bexley, OH
    Posts 2,285
    Rep Power 536871084

got a new version of the driver for the MIO interfaces today from the manufacturer and suddenly everything is working great.