Thread: Singing Frequencies

wardrobe malfunction investigator Oh! "Mock Chicken" joke was about metric system!
    Join Date Sep 2011
    Posts 47
    Rep Power 75

Default Singing Frequencies

In the interests of sharing, I have a 'does anybody else...' question.

Does Anybody Else 'sing' frequencies, when they're EQ'ing? Whether I'm just listening to an individual instrument or an entire mix, once my ears have locked down on a particular frequency that I think I need to pay attention to, I will try and replicate it with my voice and then sweep a narrow boost around until I've got it. This usually takes the form of weird and wonderful vowel sounds and facial contortions, as I try and express the frequency that I'm focusing on, much to my potential embarrassment. I never made a conscious decision to begin doing this, it just evolved naturally. At first I did it under my breath, so that clients wouldn't notice. But now I've just started owning it. It's my thing.

Anybody else want to fess up?
    Join Date Oct 2011
    Location caprica
    Posts 1,553
    Rep Power 536871030

Default Re: Singing Frequencies

I've never done this but I think I might start.
    Garden variety weasel...has ripped flesh. Prom Queen
    Join Date Mar 2008
    Location Good ol' Germany
    Posts 511
    Rep Power 536871041

I don't sing it. But I noticed that I developed a idea of frequencies very quick when I started mixing. First it was sweeping the EQ until I hit the frequency I wanted to adress, but it quickly changed to set the EQ to the frequency I wanted to adress.

I don't know if it is a pitch or a soundquality thing I learned, but I think it is the later one.
    “Do you know what I hate about computers? The problem with computers is that there is not enough Africa in them.”

Brian Eno, May 1995
    Ambidextrous Onanist Reads Playboy for the articles
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Houston,Tx
    Posts 1,031
    Rep Power 536871074

It's hard for me to tell if I am in the right octave when trying to "sing" the frequency.

I prefer to just sweep with a narrow boost until I find it.
    "If you don't try new things you will miss out on many of life's great disappointments."
    CAPE Teams: MIXERMAN SPIRIT ORGANIC TWANG NOCTURNE AZRAPHAEL BIGBANDTHEORY HORIZON GREENROOM BARRICADES
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 14,275
    Rep Power 536871515

It's not a process I have thought consciously about a lot, but I usually hear frequencies like a form of "color" in my head. Then I sweep the EQ to find that same color (and I usually have a pretty good idea at this point where it's at), after which I add or subtract what I need.

otek
    "Tube color is not the 'thing'. Why would the most linear amplifying device have a color?" - Jonte Knif
    Rep point slut. Thinks Ringo's wife is a famous Classical Composer
    Join Date Mar 2012
    Location Out to Lunch
    Posts 63
    Rep Power 268435594

At first, I thought this about making "wah wah" sounds with your mouth as you sweep. But you guys mean this as a way to zero in on the specific freq, right? Sounds intriguing.

This is off-topic but similar, and I wonder if anyone else does it. When I'm at a loud bar I find myself absent-mindedly "vocalizing" the bass root note of whatever music is going on. Humming it deep in my throat. Well, if it's music I'm not paying much attention to, that is. I will generally listen intently to a song I like, so I don't do it then.

It's subtle, no one else has ever noticed me doing it. I think I heard that it's something other people do. Maybe to put themselves at ease? One friend said it might be like a monk chant thing. The low vibration rolls through the skull. I've never been into any chanting, but I can see what he means.

Anyway, sometimes it's not just music. I'll do it with a loud AC or some other ambient noise. It must be a comfort thing because I only do it in social circumstances.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 11,614
    Rep Power 536871427

While you guys are hummimg along with the air conditioner, I'll be moving to the other side of the room...

You know, the side with the people, music, food, booze, etc.

You may join us after you've finished sweeping the frequencies
    Man! You have GOT to try a hit of this RANGE SUNSHINE!

IMTBO = In My Thoroughly Biased Opinion
    CMIIW = Correct Me If I'm Wrong
    Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
    If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 5,359
    Rep Power 536871218

It's not a process I have thought consciously about a lot, but I usually hear frequencies like a form of "color" in my head. Then I sweep the EQ to find that same color (and I usually have a pretty good idea at this point where it's at), after which I add or subtract what I need.

otek
    Interesting, to me it's more of a tactile feel. The lows are bubbly, the low-mids are like a denim, mids are glossy, and the 10k is like an electric shock
    When in doubt, mumble!

EVERYTHING SOUNDS LIKE SHIT IF YA LISTEN LONG AND HARD ENOUGH.
    Famous Celebuskank Former African Dictator
    Join Date Nov 2011
    Location Charlotte, NC
    Posts 2,159
    Rep Power 536871050

At first, I thought this about making "wah wah" sounds with your mouth as you sweep. But you guys mean this as a way to zero in on the specific freq, right? Sounds intriguing.

This is off-topic but similar, and I wonder if anyone else does it. When I'm at a loud bar I find myself absent-mindedly "vocalizing" the bass root note of whatever music is going on. Humming it deep in my throat. Well, if it's music I'm not paying much attention to, that is. I will generally listen intently to a song I like, so I don't do it then.

It's subtle, no one else has ever noticed me doing it. I think I heard that it's something other people do. Maybe to put themselves at ease? One friend said it might be like a monk chant thing. The low vibration rolls through the skull. I've never been into any chanting, but I can see what he means.

Anyway, sometimes it's not just music. I'll do it with a loud AC or some other ambient noise. It must be a comfort thing because I only do it in social circumstances.
    I always sing "O Magnum Mysterium" with mower engine. That or "Sisters" from White Christmas. LOL!

Mike
    Mike
    Join Date Apr 2010
    Location Cork, Ireland.
    Posts 838
    Rep Power 0

I think I would sing them, except that I was "encouraged" not to do that in theory exams (cos it doesn't work when a room full of people are sight singing different questions!), so I imagine the note instead, works just as well. Probably for the best, saves everyone else hearing me croak.
    "Facts, not opinions" David Kirkaldy.
    Ultimate Casio CZ for Kontakt
    My Music
    Join Date Mar 2008
    Location Good ol' Germany
    Posts 511
    Rep Power 536871041

I think you have a mild case of jazz musician syndrome. Go see a doctor if you start playing the vibraphone.
    “Do you know what I hate about computers? The problem with computers is that there is not enough Africa in them.”

Brian Eno, May 1995
    Join Date Apr 2010
    Location Cork, Ireland.
    Posts 838
    Rep Power 0

AWhen I'm at a loud bar I find myself absent-mindedly "vocalizing" the bass root note of whatever music is going on. Humming it deep in my throat. Well, if it's music I'm not paying much attention to, that is. I will generally listen intently to a song I like, so I don't do it then.
    LOL, definitely not jazz musician syndrome- I'm averse to jazz and I do this too. Although I do love vibes. Maybe I should see a doctor!! My wife tends not to do basslines, but instead all sorts of top lines and middle lines. She's better at harmony than I am. She also is averse to jazz, thankfully.
    My Music
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 11,614
    Rep Power 536871427

How often do you hear vibes on something other than jazz?

Offhand, this is the only example I can think of.

Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.

Greedle
    Join Date Apr 2010
    Location Cork, Ireland.
    Posts 838
    Rep Power 0

This has vibes, and it's not jazz:
    http://music.madtheory.com/track/lullaby
    My Music
    Garden variety weasel...has ripped flesh. Studied for urine test
    Join Date Jan 2009
    Location Denver, CO, USA
    Posts 529
    Rep Power 536871031

Offhand, this is the only example I can think of.
    I know a guy who plays vibes in a live hip hop band.
    Join Date Apr 2010
    Location Cork, Ireland.
    Posts 838
    Rep Power 0

I know a guy who plays vibes in a live hip hop band.
    Now that's cool. Any links?
    My Music
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Posts 511
    Rep Power 536871054

Motown used vibes quite often.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 11,614
    Rep Power 536871427

Do you have some examples?

I thought they mainly used Fender Rhodes piano for a similar sound but I usually didn't have a good playback system to listen through. I wouldn't be surprised though.

Greedle
    Famous Celebuskank Former African Dictator
    Join Date Nov 2011
    Location Charlotte, NC
    Posts 2,159
    Rep Power 536871050

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhBv_fA1LJs

Here's one. Left channel, kinda far back in the mix. There's more though with it more prominent.
    Mike
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Birmingham, UK
    Posts 1,583
    Rep Power 536871092

I do this (whistling or humming) when doing FOH for feedback purposes, or if there's a particular note that's standing out on an instrument, but rarely in the studio.

Not sure why.

Heh, whatever works
    I'm probably talking shit.

"Mixing most 'heavy' records is like trying to find order and lucidity in a recording of a Cathedral Pipe Organ, all stops out, randomly veering between Handel's Messiah, Ginestera's 2nd and a coupla Bach Fugues, in a Titanium kitchenware foundry, while a gaggle of enraged PCP snorting gorillas with bullhorns conduct a demolition derby with cement mixers against the soothing cacophony of a nearby landslide/tsunami/heavy artillery exchange."- Slipperman