Find a link here or listen to the song on the CAPE RADIO

Cape supports the International Committee of the Red Cross
    Former burger flipper turned Alshi expert Granfaloon
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Portsmouth, VA
    Posts 1,078
    Rep Power 536871076

Default Re: CAPE 10 reveal - Team Jericho Walls

Wow...this tune is as tight as...well...it's tight! I love the atmosphere, especially during that wonderful guitar solo -- I gotta know what that reverb was. Even on these crappy computer speakers (my music computer just died last night) it sounds like a million bucks. Excellent mix and top notch musicianship throughout. Yeah...I'm a fan.
    Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Child Prodigy Gone Bad
    Join Date Dec 2010
    Location Sweden
    Posts 8
    Rep Power 134217838

Cool! I really like the fell of organized chaos that you got going on... and I really like the vocals!
    Sweet Child o' Mime Theo's brother the Painter
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Pretentious City, Straya
    Posts 1,838
    Rep Power 536871102

The mix is punchy and spotless... sounds like it was done after a nice beer and fishing expedition.

Amopae keyboard work, as usual, excellent, there's no denying that he can not only play, he can really fucking play.

Nice to hear a song that can protest and funk at the same time!

And forgot to add, is there a better whiskey soaked voice than jstuart's?

Coded messages in plain text...

Originally Posted by Dwoz
    Most audiophiles could listen to PERFECT pink noise and get just as much enjoyment out of it.
    wardrobe malfunction investigator 329 M/S Hen=Mock Chicken!
    Join Date Aug 2007
    Location Melbourne, VIC, Aus
    Posts 36
    Rep Power 167772339

Damn... that voice... those horns... those keys... that guitar solo

Itís all good across the board here... solid effort and a great tune! Congrats!
    A Top 10 Beaver Licker Grumpy young man
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Nouvelle Zealande
    Posts 1,944
    Rep Power 2500000000

I gotta know what that reverb was.
    Thanks for the kind words. All I did was mix it!

Without calling it up, from memory the ambience behind the solo was Voxengo AnalogFluxDelay and a touch of CSR Hall. Parallel, not sequentially.
    Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Dated Paris Hilton before she was a tramp!
    Join Date Jan 2012
    Location Long Island NY
    Posts 28
    Rep Power 268435612

Cape 10 Radio 3 for 3 so far, for songs having "Hey!" in the backup vocals...

I loved these guys totally for hearing the groove in my grooveless demo and arranging+playing+mixing it like this.

Nice moments everywhere (I am a total groupie for pretty much all guys in bands) but still I hope none of them will mind if I say OMG I love those fucking drum fills!!!!!!!

And one of our guitars deserves a prize for having a trombone-slinging relative in the wings for last-minute tracking when real life rattled our lineup!
    Join Date Sep 2008
    Location Turin, Italy
    Posts 1,111
    Rep Power 536871056

wow, hell of a lot of stuff in there... love just about everything here! Are the spoken vocals yours too, right? I liked the sort of oldies effect in that spoken part... what did you do? Is it just a lo-pass?
    - I fear anybody worried about not sounding like themselves is somebody who really doesn't want to sound like themselves. - Bob Olhsson

Cape 7 Team Mindbenders - Lead Vox

Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 1,944
    Rep Power 2500000000

I liked the sort of oldies effect in that spoken part... what did you do? Is it just a lo-pass?
    It was a touch of overdrive and a very aggressive bandpass. I multed the track though and let a little sibilant through to improve intelligibility. You lose a lot with that kind of filtering.

Oh, and a touch of reverb with a really long pre-delay.
    Being Over There Now Retired phone sex worker... no more hang-ups!
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location here I am, you're looking at m
    Posts 3,622
    Rep Power 536871161

You are hearing the efforts of these fine musicians and engineers—and me:

Fulcrum — co-producer, keyboards, backing vocals
    ElaineDiMasi — co-producer, songwriter, backing vocals, angels, pennywhistle, Foley
    jstuart — lead vocals, bass, weltschmerz
    TenaciousJ — guitars (solo)
    chrisj — guitars
    clicktrack — trumpets
    TenaciousJ's brother (ancillary) — trombones
    macr0w — drums
    Pimp-X — mix engineer

Amopae was with us right up till it came time to track, at which point he got Very Very Busy, so that's me on the pianos. I speak for the team in thanking him for the work he did put in.

We lost a bassist and a tromboner along the way, but fortunately we had a lead vocalist who could lay down the funk on the four-string and a guitarist who has a trombone-playing brother.

Elaine presented us with three songs, two of which would have been more than enough for us to sink our teeth into (and at one point we were considering doing both). I was fortunate to be assigned to produce the team for which she was writing, because I knew from her albums that the end result was going to shine. Her overarching vision for the song, combined with her project management skills when my confuser shit the bed in the middle of tracking, earned her a co-production credit on this.

I hope she won't mind if I pimp her music here and there. If you liked this, you won't be disappointed in the least with those.

Other than the two cats who wandered off and didn't find their way back after repeated entreaties, the team grokked what was needed, and were a joy to work with at every step of the way, even when we had some anomalies syncing MP3 files for rough mixes (we eventually just went with straight-up uncompressed files). Pimp did his usual Pimp thing on the mix and made it sparkle, and the result is what you hear.

I'm glad everyone is digging on our efforts, and I'm fortunate to be able to say (again) that you'll be fortunate too if any of these folks show up on your CAPE team next year.

Thanks one and all for the eartime!
    Last edited by Fulcrum; May 23rd, 2012 at 08:53 AM. Reason: mislaid a hyphen
    Join Date Sep 2008
    Location Turin, Italy
    Posts 1,111
    Rep Power 536871056

Oh, and a touch of reverb with a really long pre-delay.

I loved that because it sounds like you're listening to a guy yelling through a megaphone but not like you're in front but rather quite a few meters behind. Awesome!
    - I fear anybody worried about not sounding like themselves is somebody who really doesn't want to sound like themselves. - Bob Olhsson

Cape 7 Team Mindbenders - Lead Vox

Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Dated Paris Hilton before she was a tramp!
    Join Date Jan 2012
    Location Long Island NY
    Posts 28
    Rep Power 268435612

I loved that because it sounds like you're listening to a guy yelling through a megaphone but not like you're in front but rather quite a few meters behind. Awesome!
    How to mix a "blast from the past" ... through a megaphone and quite a few years behind! :-)
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 1,944
    Rep Power 2500000000

My job - done.
    Sweet Child o' Mime Theo's brother the Painter
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Pretentious City, Straya
    Posts 1,838
    Rep Power 536871102

Amopae was with us right up till it came time to track, at which point he got Very Very Busy, so that's me on the pianos. I speak for the team in thanking him for the work he did put in.
    Well holy smokes you were on fucking fire for this one! I stand by what I said, except it's directed at you!

Coded messages in plain text...

Originally Posted by Dwoz
    Most audiophiles could listen to PERFECT pink noise and get just as much enjoyment out of it.
    Being Over There Now Retired phone sex worker... no more hang-ups!
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location here I am, you're looking at m
    Posts 3,622
    Rep Power 536871161

Immersing myself for the last several months in Billy Preston, Dr John, and Fess paid off then?
    Large dairy air enthusiast Runs a 4.35 forty...yeah right!
    Join Date Mar 2007
    Location Gothenburg, Sweden
    Posts 1,188
    Rep Power 536871075

Love it
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 130
    Rep Power 536871045

WOW!

love it too. what is it with copper that makes a song so sexy? and the parts are great! excellent work all around.
    It's all been down-hill since I found that Santa Claus was really my drunk uncle...
    - Carlo
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 1,944
    Rep Power 2500000000

It was great having some horns in the mix. It's seldom these days there's any, in any of the projects I work on!

What a breath of fresh air. My monitors hardly knew what to do with them.
    Owns and wears an Elvis jumpsuit Owns a kick-start dildo
    Join Date Jun 2008
    Location In a little African country do
    Posts 2,358
    Rep Power 536871100

Foreground listening.

Loaded!

Going on my (ever growing) list of CAPE favs
    Q
    Comfortably dumb Wedding song was "Freebird"
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location San Diego
    Posts 1,284
    Rep Power 536871083

Love. It.
    I love the funk and the lilt. It's fun and inspiring! Bravo all the way around.

*love the horns