Thread: Clarinet

Join Date Sep 2008
    Location Turin, Italy
    Posts 1,111
    Rep Power 536871054

Default Clarinet

A friend of mine just lent me a clarinet, a wooden one... I love the sound of the thing, I really do.

Anyone have any tips on learning how to play it? I am doing some lessons but just thought I'd see if any wombians have any advice as you guys are always full of good tidbits
    - I fear anybody worried about not sounding like themselves is somebody who really doesn't want to sound like themselves. - Bob Olhsson

Cape 7 Team Mindbenders - Lead Vox

Join Date Oct 2011
    Location caprica
    Posts 1,551
    Rep Power 536871029

Default Re: Clarinet

I can only offer sympathy, as a former euphonium player I could never for the life of me figure out how to even make a sound on a reed instrument.

Something to do with vibrating your lips and sticking your tongue somewhere. eehhhh.

One time in school a dude didn't change his reed for so long that when he did, there was a roach in it. Better make sure this isn't your problem, first.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location West Chester, Ohio
    Posts 1,558
    Rep Power 536871090

I used to play in a band with a guy that started with clarinet, and his mom was a music major on clarinet.

His advantage was that once you learn the fingering for clarinet, then learning the saxes or flutes is a simple jump. Going the other way I understand is a bitch.

So go ahead and learn to wrap your hands around that long dark object in your mouth, it can lead to many other things.
    Tori's Alibi

CAPE III - Team Galactic
    CAPE IV - Team Pantheon
    CAPE V - Team Elemental & Team Milk Carton
    CAPE VI - Team Grapestomper
    CAPE VII - Team Altitude
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 11,590
    Rep Power 536871425

We expect you to have this tune nailed by the end of the week.

Man! You have GOT to try a hit of this RANGE SUNSHINE!

IMTBO = In My Thoroughly Biased Opinion
    CMIIW = Correct Me If I'm Wrong
    Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
    If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle
    Roadside Outcast Dept. Mallory's missing camera
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location On location...
    Posts 5,056
    Rep Power 536871207

I used to play when I was in high school.

I chose clarinet because the embrochure is the same as sax...and they had sax in rock bands, and rock bands get girls, right?

I can only suggest persevering with the lessons, as this is an instrument with no shortcuts.

Then - just for fun - learn Woody Herman's Golden Wedding.

Cheers,
    Tim
    Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity.

The best radio mic system that money can buy is ALMOST as good as a $20 cable.

One of the most important things to remember about sound is:
    'Sucks' is always conducted better than 'Rules'. - Pimp-X wisdom

Never underestimate the power of stupid - Blackie C (RIP)

Ego and talent seldom go hand in hand... Talent and humble on the other hand... - Zoesch

Weedy ignores this simple bit of glaring obviousness because he is an "ELECTRIC BASS GUITARIST"(coughcough)
    and views the kick drum as a "bass riff rhythmic pattern suggestion generator" - Slipperman
    Hot Rats Greatest Hits Loves Jules and The Polar Bears
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 4,411
    Rep Power 536871186

Just for encouragement- on of the best players I've ever recorded is a guy who took up clarinet in his twenties.
    To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
    -Henri Poincare
    Comfortably dumb Commissioner of Rock and Roll!
    Join Date Jun 2008
    Location Krautistan
    Posts 1,261
    Rep Power 536871061

Anyone have any tips on learning how to play it? I am doing some lessons but just thought I'd see if any wombians have any advice as you guys are always full of good tidbits
    I don't know shit about clarinet, and I'm probably stating the obvious,
    but get the best teacher you can afford,
    and listen to shitloads of great clarinet playing,
    be it on record or, preferably, live.

I think the most difficult task while learning a new instrument is not to develop bad habits.

All the best,
    the keks
    Cape 8: Team Millionaires, Team Relentless

The accordion - sometimes an instrument .... often just a bag pipe gone wrong.
    (Immanuel)
    Former burger flipper turned Alshi expert One of those things you've never really used.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Big rock candy mountains.
    Posts 1,073
    Rep Power 536871074

You're too kind Nobby. I think we should expect:

After all as an ex-girlfriend clarinet player once told me, "it's all about pressing the lips together and blowing". There was something more after that, but I was distracted.

Anyhow, at least it's not a trumpet. I tried that out for a while. Being relegated to open farm fields kilometres away from other human beings was not conducive to good practice habits.
    I would go so far as to say that pop art is the ultimate reflection of society.

Don’t think about that too much. It’s too painful.

-Mixerman
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 11,590
    Rep Power 536871425

After all as an ex-girlfriend clarinet player once told me, "it's all about pressing the lips together and blowing". There was something more after that, but I was distracted.
    It was about the tongue action. Not for nothing is it called a woodwind instrument. Until you learn to blow properly, you suck.

You're too kind Nobby. I think we should expect:
    That song is kind of long for a beginner. I don't know if he has the lung power yet.

Let him do a shorter song first. Even an old man can make it through this one (although not without breaking a sweat).

Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.

Greedle
    Plays in Winger cover band Enjoys scratching self too much
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Istanbul, Turkey now...
    Posts 713
    Rep Power 536871062

(Gershwin)
    …and your next challenge will be this one. If you can play it, you can play anything:

…and of course, this (yes they can play it live and sound exactly like it):

Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 4,411
    Rep Power 536871186

Holy shit, Lauren Bacall is your ex girlfriend?!?!?!?!?
    To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
    -Henri Poincare
    Join Date Sep 2008
    Location Turin, Italy
    Posts 1,111
    Rep Power 536871054

Awesome links! I have to say I'm more interested in the gypsy or oriental or Klezmer type clarinet playing... here's an example below (I know I've been harping on about manouche lately but this clarinet seriously kicks ass (especially towards the end)

- I fear anybody worried about not sounding like themselves is somebody who really doesn't want to sound like themselves. - Bob Olhsson

Ambidextrous Onanist Reads Playboy for the articles
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Houston,Tx
    Posts 1,031
    Rep Power 536871073

been there, done that, gave it up.

My daughter took up clarinet in the school band a few years back. I was fairly excited to have a new instrument around the house and decided I would learn along with her.

So she brought the thing home and 3 of us tried to get it to sound a note for 2 WEEKS!!!

Finally, by accident, one of the kids actually got it to sound, the rest of soon caught on.

I figured out the notes and realized that it was going to be a tough one. The cool thing is, the lowest notes sound so fantastic. I showed my daughter how to play "My Girl".

Micing it was a mystery, but someone on here explained that you mike the BODY, about a foot or so away facing the finger holes. DO NOT mic it from the bell.

My daughter gave it a good run for about a year, but one particularly tough piece took her out and we had to get rid of it.

the technique apparently transfers over to sax.

Good Luck.
    "If you don't try new things you will miss out on many of life's great disappointments."
    CAPE Teams: MIXERMAN SPIRIT ORGANIC TWANG NOCTURNE AZRAPHAEL BIGBANDTHEORY HORIZON GREENROOM BARRICADES
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 713
    Rep Power 536871062

I have to say I'm more interested in the gypsy or oriental or Klezmer type clarinet playing...
    Then buy a G Clarinet and listen to Hüsnü Senlendirici (the guy above) and Vassilis Saleas till you throw up -both Romany virtuosos from Turkey and Greece respectively. In fact you can find a few duets by them on Youtube to see the style differences and how an instrument could be mastered in two distinctive styles.

If you have a C or Bb Clarinet then forget playing that style because the mechanical layouts of them will not allow you to play the stuff they can do on a G order as far as I am told by the players of that style. Apparently they are more suitable for classical stuff, but not for those whom are interested in bending weird notes etc, like Louisiana jazz players or Balkan Gypsy stuff.

B.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 11,590
    Rep Power 536871425

…and your next challenge will be this one. If you can play it, you can play anything:
    How do you say, "that kicks ass" in Turkish?

…and of course, this (yes they can play it live and sound exactly like it):
    Piece of cake. I listened to it twice and then played it flawlessly on a penny whistle

Greedle
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 4,411
    Rep Power 536871186

Micing it was a mystery, but someone on here explained that you mike the BODY, about a foot or so away facing the finger holes. DO NOT mic it from the bell.
    OH yeah. The only note that comes out of the bell is the low one with all the holes closed. fa-mi-re-DO!
    I learned that the first time I tried to record a bassoon.
    -Henri Poincare
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 713
    Rep Power 536871062

How do you say, "that kicks ass" in Turkish?
    "Yarmish gechmish"

Piece of cake. I listened to it twice and then played it flawlessly on a penny whistle
    Didn't you?

This was the closest I saw a westerner managed to get:

And this is a bootleg of the original band, Laço Tayfa, playing it live early this year:

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 14,273
    Rep Power 536871514

Once you're done with Nobby's and Barish's suggestions, here's another one for you to tackle until next week:

otek
    "Tube color is not the 'thing'. Why would the most linear amplifying device have a color?" - Jonte Knif
    Join Date Sep 2008
    Location Turin, Italy
    Posts 1,111
    Rep Power 536871054

HEEEEELLLP!! I'm getting overwhelmed!

No seriously, excellent stuff all round...

Barish: thanks for the tip on the G clarinet. If I get good I may buy an Amati Turkish clarinet. For now I'll stick to the one they lent me but luckily it follows the German/Albert system like the Turkish ones...

I need to train for the next Cape!

Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 713
    Rep Power 536871062

I need to train for the next Cape!
    So is someone else... apparently:

…with your favourite clarinet player, hehe:
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	okaytemiz_bilalkaraman_imerdemirer_husnusenlendirici_marcusmiller.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	11103  

Last edited by Barish; July 5th, 2012 at 11:05 PM.