Thread: Dropbox question

Most friends are "on the inside". Wal-mart greeter
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location On the left coast
    Posts 689
    Rep Power 536871060

Default Dropbox question

My team used dropbox for file storage. My dropbox account says the storage area is full. I would like to use this account for other projects now that CAPE 10 has ended. If I delete what is in the dropbox, am I nuking everything for everyone, or is it just my account that will be empty (my intention)?
    ȻΘϨ₸Θ₸HɖƓ
    a.k.a. Randy Brewer
    http://bespokerecording.com
    CAPE 10 - Team Witty Placard
    Owns and wears an Elvis jumpsuit Owns a kick-start dildo
    Join Date Jun 2008
    Location In a little African country do
    Posts 2,358
    Rep Power 536871099

Default Re: Dropbox question

Inform everyone on your team of your intention, to allow them to make their last backups, and when done wipe it.

If it goes missing, I am sure you would have a back-up, right?

Q
    Join Date Aug 2010
    Location New Brunswick Canada
    Posts 127
    Rep Power 536870998

Just delete the folder and not the individual files and it shouldn't affect them. It's backed up on the dropbox server which you can access through their website as well.
    Andrew MacRae
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location ██████████
    Posts 6,389
    Rep Power 402653958

no you're fucking wrong macrae dont do that.

guh. you go onto the dropbox site and unsubscribe from that folder.
    Gearwire.com Drum Mixing Tutorial: The best way of course is an oscilloscope... but, we don't have that, we don't have that here, so we have to use our ears...
    Voice like Marcel Marceau Thinks Howard Stern is relevant
    Join Date Mar 2009
    Location New Brunswick, Canada
    Posts 278
    Rep Power 536871020

no you're fucking wrong macrae dont do that.

guh. you go onto the dropbox site and unsubscribe from that folder.
    Yeah... What Brendo said.

Currently Dropbox is set so that anyone sharing the folders have full read/write capabilities. The ability for the owner of the folder to set restrictions (ie. read-only) has been talked about, but I have no idea when it would be implemented. So basically deleting files or folders that are shared will result in the deletion being sync'd with anyone else whose sharing it.

Here's a link that may be of use for CloseToTheEdge:
    http://www.dropbox.com/help/163

As a bit of a side note: The ability for the owner of the folder to set restrictions (ie. read-only) has been talked about, but I have no idea when it would be implemented. I wish I could set permissions though... I have this conversation with bands at least twice a week: "Dude, you deleted our mixes." "No, your dumbass bass player dragged the folder onto their desktop even after I explained to you guys a bazillion times not to do that." "Oh, ok, can you put them back up?" "Talk to your bass player, it's 1:30 in the morning and I'm trying to sleep."
    Mathieu Benoit

www.fluidaudiogroup.com

www.facebook.com/FluidAudioGroup

"Volume automation takes time. You don't got that kinda time. You could be getting naked with somebody somewhere." -Slipperman

"Anybody who doesn't agree with me can swoggle my slimy taint in the Large Hadron Collider." -Slipperman

Join Date Aug 2010
    Location New Brunswick Canada
    Posts 127
    Rep Power 536870998

As a bit of a side note: The ability for the owner of the folder to set restrictions (ie. read-only) has been talked about, but I have no idea when it would be implemented. I wish I could set permissions though... I have this conversation with bands at least twice a week: "Dude, you deleted our mixes." "No, your dumbass bass player dragged the folder onto their desktop even after I explained to you guys a bazillion times not to do that." "Oh, ok, can you put them back up?" "Talk to your bass player, it's 1:30 in the morning and I'm trying to sleep."
    Yeah that's why I use the public folder option for some clients. Apparently I'm a fucking idiot though, so maybe that's a terrible thing to do.
    Andrew MacRae
    Most friends are "on the inside". Wal-mart greeter
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location On the left coast
    Posts 689
    Rep Power 536871060

Thanks, I backed it up, but it seemed like a destructive process so I thought I'd ask (what a concept!).

I'll do what Brendo suggested.

Provided I can figure it out.

Thanks! I appreciate the help.
    ȻΘϨ₸Θ₸HɖƓ
    a.k.a. Randy Brewer
    http://bespokerecording.com
    CAPE 10 - Team Witty Placard
    Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Child Prodigy Gone Bad
    Join Date Aug 2012
    Posts 5
    Rep Power 61

My team used dropbox for file storage. My dropbox account says the storage area is full. I would like to use this account for other projects now that CAPE 10 has ended. If I delete what is in the dropbox, am I nuking everything for everyone, or is it just my account that will be empty (my intention)?
    You can always unsubscribe / leave the folder in question from your browser. It will prompt you to choose whether or not the other people sharing the same folder are allowed to keep the content or remove it.

Having started using Dropbox, I found myself running into this problem all the time, especially once others started adding files to shared folders. $100 for the year for 100GB of storage is a well-worth investment for a great product!

Roy