Thread: Spotlight Global-another pay to play scam?

Join Date Oct 2011
    Location caprica
    Posts 1,551
    Rep Power 536871029

Default Re: Spotlight Global-another pay to play scam?

The other big component of Spotlight's pitch is the Fan Acquisition Funnel which is a page on your website that is supposed to build your mailing list up. This is a service offered by Sam Schwartz (thesamschwartz.com) for $995. Jason is again the go-between for this service. I contacted Sam myself and asked him to verify that he is in fact working with Spotlight. I received an email back from Sam the same day confirming that he is working with Jason and Spotlight and that everything is legit. I'm still doing research on this aspect of things but so far I have not found anything fishy about it.
    The idea of paying $995 to build up a mailing list smells like a big fat rotten catfish that's been sitting on the beach for a week.

So far, I haven't found any red flags
    You must be colorblind. THIS is a red flag:

I asked Jason if there is any guarantee on any of their services. He said everything he is offering will work. I then asked, "What if the record compsanies don't come knocking?". He said, "In that case I'll, 'walk you in the front door'", so to speak.
    I don't believe a single word of any of ya'll. At first I was under the impression you were indeed a sockpuppet for the company, but after looking up your band I'm inclined to think you simply want to believe these scammers can help you shortcut to fame or success, which they can't, because it's bullshit.

It is so awesome that musicians are really looking out for each other today.We should all always band together and help each other out.I believe we should post our experiences with different companies.My experience with Spotlight Global and Jason Gilbert has been really good.I have been in the music business for 20 yrs now.
    Perhaps it's time to find a new business in which you aren't advertising for scammy promo companies?

BTW I checked out ya'll's bands, and that didn't convince me that this isn't a total crock and you all are falling for it.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 6,812
    Rep Power 2500000000

sockpuppets who band together get banned together.

This thread sets a new record for the number of one-time-flyby posters who come in OUT OF THE BLUE to endorse a song shark/scam music biz deal.

I again don't know anything about Spotlight Global, except that they send sockpuppets around the internet to post on forum threads where the name is mentioned, which is an INCREDIBLY SHADY way to do business.

my own sense of things is "Contact these people AT YOUR PERIL." Your own experience may vary.
    "...but ma, audio engineering IS gainful employment!..."

"...If I wuz at that club where Miles played one note I would have bounced ONE BOTTLE off his shiny fucking coconut. What? He's Phil Glass now?..." -Slipperman

"...never attribute to magic, that which can be explained by conspiracy."
    Martini Drinker Van Morrison's enunciation coach
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,209
    Rep Power 2500000000

In the words of (Python) Monty:

So if I may (on the same melody):

'Ban ban ban ban ban ban ban ban ban..."
    Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Child Prodigy Gone Bad
    Join Date Mar 2013
    Location St. Aug, FL
    Posts 6
    Rep Power 52

Hello everyone,
    I am a real person. My name is Michael Jordan, I live in Florida and I play the guitar on my lap like a beast. My profile may seem sockpuppetish but I assure you I am real. To verify see

https://www.facebook.com/michael.armand.jordan

I too ran into a post on craigslist involving Spotlight Global while looking for gig opportunities. The link I clicked took me to a web page that played a video that was an hour and a half long about the music industry. The page had no controls for pausing or rewinding the video and no links whatsoever to any other sight, which I thought was a little strange. I searched for SG on the web and found their website, and I contacted them for advice regarding a recording contract I've received from a third-party label. I promptly received an email from a Jason Gilbert asking me to email a copy of the contract to him, which I did. It was a review contract only so there was no harm in my sending it to him.

A few days later he requested we speak over the phone, which we did for about thirty minutes. The voice on the phone was the same as that in the video, and he claimed responsibility for the vid when I mentioned it. During the conversation he never brought up any details about the contract, which is 23 pages long. He only spoke about finding out how much money the label was going to invest in recording/promotion/distribution and marketing of an album. He also asked me many questions regarding my career model for the music industry, such as how I engage with my fans, how many shows a month I play, how much I charge. His plan of attack was to schedule a conference call with the label rep in which he would deduce whether or not they had any money to invest or not. The next day I informed him I had asked for a conference call, and that the rep had said no. He responded via email very curt saying that he had wanted to request the call himself and that if I wanted his help I needed to take his advice. He said he needed to know exactly what I said when I asked for the call and he would write me a response that I should send to the rep. I began researching his identity at this point. I sent him what I wrote and he sent me back said response. This last bit of communication happened today, Wednesday the 27th 2013. I have not sent the rep his response.

This is where it gets interesting...make sure to see the links below. Last night I decided to find out exactly who Mr. Gilbert, which I should have done to begin with. I searched the area code from which he called me and it turned out to be San Diego. I then searched Jason Gilbert in San Diego and found that there is a Jason Gilbert who has ties to numerous realtor training programs called Commercial Million, Commercial Training Institute and Fidelis realty, among others. These are all shadow masks of a larger company based out of Nevada. These companies attempt to sell DVDs and web seminars imparting secret knowledge on how to make huge commercial property transactions. The DVDs go for about $600 but if you spend $997 you get to attend a multi-day boot camp, which is, in reality, days and days of other "realtors" pitching Jason's "flagship product" costing $10,000. If you choose to partner with them, you must buy in for $15-27,000. To make a long scam short, what they're saying is: if you pay for and go through their training, they will then invest in the deals you then make using their "secret methods" because you know their criteria. However, no deal ever meets their criteria and they never EVER invest in any deals presented to them. They take your money as students and then leave you.

All of this information is a summary from numerous forums and other sites I've found regarding Jason Gilbert from 2009 until 2011. All the forums were either horror stories of being scammed or a sockpuppet astroturfing or defending Jason Gilbert and his products.

I believe Jason Gilbert is an organizer of a large social succubus. The idea is 1000 X 1000 is a million. You get 1000 suckers to give you $1000 and you've made a million bones. On a recent 2013 post regarding Spotlight Global, a person claimed Jason Gilbert referred him to an associate who would install a "Fan Collector" page on his website for....you guessed it $997. This "Fan Collector" page is merely a funnel which leaves the viewer no escape route unless they relinquish their email. This is called "capturing" a fan. If you go to SG website, every single button leads to a fan collector page. SG's website is a giant fan collector page itself made to generate lists of emails of potential scamees. I believe Jason Gilbert caught some heat in the realty business and changed gears towards another market where people need help and don't know him and there is money to be stolen.

I hope the attorney general throws Jason Gilbert and his cronies into a deep dank hole with a giant poster of David Hasselhoff on the wall and feeds them nothing but SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM BACON SPAM SPAM SPAM EGGS SPAM SPAM & SPAM.

The link below shows a conversation between two people regarding Jason Gilbert and a commercial deal in which one of them provide links to cases in which Mr. Gilbert is being sued.
    http://sdcia.websitetoolbox.com/post?id=5717815

The next link is to a forum that has numerous threads involving horror stories of Jason Gilbert or a number of his sockpuppets.
    http://www.ripoffreport.com/Search/jason%20gilbert.aspx

ALL IN ALL....STAY AWAY FROM JASON GILBERT. If that's even his real name.

I hope I don't get banned, I would really like to continue on The Womb forum. I know this is my first post and this thread has already broken a record for first time posters however, I do believe that artists should look out for each other and that is my goal here. Nowhere have I found in the SG forums ties to Jason Gilbert in realty, nor have I found in the realty forums ties to Jason Gilbert in music. It seems as though he preys upon lucrative markets and those who have experienced success and are about to experience more. Beware of him being involved in other markets or industries besides realty and music because it seems as though he's compartmentalized his scams. Here I'm trying to bring the two scams into one. I have plans on visiting the realty forums and exposing his involvement in the music industry as well.

This link....... is me playing geetar!!
    http://www.reverbnation.com/artist/a...videos/1264451

Good Day to you All
    Join Date Oct 2011
    Location caprica
    Posts 1,551
    Rep Power 536871029

goddamn guys michael jordan is on the womb

TAP TO MASTER
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 11,594
    Rep Power 536871425

Hello everyone,
    I am a real person. My name is Michael Jordan, I live in Florida and I play the guitar on my lap like a beast.
    Glad to see you've finally moved on from basketball.
    Man! You have GOT to try a hit of this RANGE SUNSHINE!

IMTBO = In My Thoroughly Biased Opinion
    CMIIW = Correct Me If I'm Wrong
    Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
    If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 6,812
    Rep Power 2500000000

I think the "education seminar learn insider secrets the money is just begging to start flowing into your new rich lifestyle" form of doing business has been around since, what, about 5800 BCE? Am I off by a couple decades?

These people will always be with us on some level.

It's horrifying to go out on the internet and read the (often semi-literate) accounts from people who bite on scams, even when the three-way hook is plainly visible. Gulp, they swallow it right down, and it's sad to hear the aftermath. Mostly people who are the most desperate for something GOOD to happen to them, and who can't at all afford something scam to happen to them.

"...If I wuz at that club where Miles played one note I would have bounced ONE BOTTLE off his shiny fucking coconut. What? He's Phil Glass now?..." -Slipperman

Join Date Mar 2013
    Location St. Aug, FL
    Posts 6
    Rep Power 52

Yes i am on the Womb...and I got cut from the b-ball team in 8th grade

Yeah it sucks people are out there doing this to other folks. Im a bit impressed with this guys ability to try so hard at scamming people, its incredible. I also found this site that is really weird that has ties to Jason Gilbert.
    http://hypergrowthadvisors.com
    his phone was also linked to a Chariots for Charity org that takes donated vehicles of all kinds. A way to wash his money?
    Gotta beware
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 6,812
    Rep Power 2500000000

Let's be clear about something here...we're not really interested in being the "music scam snopes" of the internet. The womb doesn't take an interest or have an opinion about the legality of this person's work...i.e. we don't think it's FUN for us to be an aggregation site of bad links about the dude.

If you want to post your own direct experience, that's great.

Join Date Mar 2013
    Location St. Aug, FL
    Posts 6
    Rep Power 52

To facilitate clarity, I dont know or much care what The Womb is "interested" in, maybe, Dwoz, you could tell me?

I found this forum researching Spotlight Global not to share my info or anyone else's
    but to see what was out there about them. If not for the posts on this site and others i would not have known or had a reason to search, and may have gotten scammed.

This is my own direct experience.

Other than throwing your weight around this thread and pointing out the obvious, what direct experience with spotlight global are you sharing here?
    Its not my intention to make enemies here or be a "Snope", i dont even know what a Snope is. Have fun on the womb lest the FUN POLICE show up.
    Has Many Personal Intergritys Expensive Boat Anchor
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,659
    Rep Power 536871394

... Have fun on the womb lest the FUN POLICE show up.
    no worries... you seem in no danger of being arrested for "fun"
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 6,812
    Rep Power 2500000000

My mistake, and apologies, Michael Jordan.

I thought it might be UN-OBVIOUS. That the womb forums isn't an appropriate place for some kinds of discussion.

My personal interest in it is that I'm a Womb admin. Which really, is another way of saying Womb janitor, all considered. So when the call goes out for "cleanup on aisle 20213" I'm one of the schlubs who shows up with a broom and dustpan.

Join Date Mar 2013
    Location St. Aug, FL
    Posts 6
    Rep Power 52

Got my first infraction..

reason for infraction - challenging my belief that maybe, just maybe, SOME of humanity is worth being part of, particularly on the day my dog died. Don't bother fucking with me because I just don't have the appetite today- DWOZ

Im genuinely sorry your dog died.
    Join Date May 2013
    Posts 1
    Rep Power 0

I went back and forth with Jason quite a bit. He even emailed me to respond to and clarify comments I made about him and SG on this thread. Anyway, after looking at their About Us section on their site I tried to get in touch with each person on that list. The only response I got was from Eddie Wenrick who has been head of several major labels over the years. Mr. Wenrick's business partner, Baron Birtcher, also contacted me regarding my email. Birtcher and Wenrick run a management firm with a select roster of artists. I spoke on the phone with Mr. Birtcher and he informed me that Jason Gilbert sends them artists he thinks they may work well with from time to time but they are in no way affiliated with Spotlight Global. They have nothing to do with day to day operations, they just know each other and sometimes Jason sends them artists. Mr. Wenrick told me the same thing in fewer words over email as well. Mr. Birtcher really didn't seem to know much about SG or Jason or what kind of business he ran and he told me that right off the bat. So I am pretty much done talking with SG after reading the recent stories on here and after my talk with Wenrick and Birtcher. Hope this helps. Cheers.
    Join Date Jan 2016
    Posts 1
    Rep Power 18

No nothing of Howard's company, but a listed employee of his, Ricky Urbina, has some SERIOUS ethical problems. If he is still employed by this company- beware!
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,766
    Rep Power 536871396

Wow, zombie thread!
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Location Northern Colorado
    Posts 966
    Rep Power 536870972

Is it okay to quarantine this thread off and treat it as kind of a game or experiment. How many one time posters can you get. How quickly can a first time poster go from ... here some info to I'm flipping out on you.
    Seems like lots of insanity to be had here.

-r
    Sign Here

X________________________________________________
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location 'Round the world.
    Posts 237
    Rep Power 475764297

I have never done any business with Spotlight Global.
    Hey, my last post here was in 2011... that must count for something right?
    /good to be back