Thread: Slate Digital - VBC

Obsequious oddball Peggy Guggenheim's bartender
    Join Date Nov 2007
    Location Minneapolis
    Posts 1,399
    Rep Power 44689454

Default Re: Slate Digital - VBC

8dB on stereo bus? Whoa))) And I thought I was being punk with 6
    They don't do anything fun at all until you hit 4db in the verses...

I finally understand what Mixie was on about with regard to the original FX384 compressor...if it's more like the desk comp than the XLogic version, that's a significant difference and I could completely understand his militancy on the subject.
    One can kill people with many tools; the best assassins use the best and most appropriate tools to get the job done...

-Comte
    Has Many Personal Intergritys Expensive Boat Anchor
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,666
    Rep Power 536871396

A lot of us were using stereo bus compressors before SSL came around.
    To US, mostly, the SSL felt like 'nice and easy because it's in the desk but kind of bleh sounding'

But to those who had not used a stereo compressor on the mix before, now that it was right there in the SSL desk it became de rigeur to use it; and to THEM it was a revelation.
    And they became used to that sound.

VCA compressors to me always seem to have that obvious 'hey look!! Compression!!' sound that is rarely for me.
    Astrological sign is "Feces"! Sees nothing wrong with playing WOW
    Join Date Jul 2007
    Posts 376
    Rep Power 330728591

so after doing a mix with it, the judgement is, it works very well and better than what i was using previously

very happy with my purchase
    Middle Handicapper...short game needs work Sqweels like a pig!
    Join Date Dec 2012
    Location Rome, Italy
    Posts 1,231
    Rep Power 536871007

ahem, you ARE punk with...5!

My Mixes on Soundcloud

With great monitors its easy to hear and fix problems but hard to enhance things that already sound good.

With hyped monitors, everything sounds good so you don't hear the problems.

With bad monitors, it seems easy to make absolutely anything sound better because you are really fixing the sound of the monitors rather than the sound of the recording.
    Middle Handicapper...short game needs work Sqweels like a pig!
    Join Date Dec 2012
    Location Rome, Italy
    Posts 1,231
    Rep Power 536871007

To US, mostly, the SSL felt like 'nice and easy because it's in the desk but kind of bleh sounding'
    well,
    i don't have weedy experience of course (not the millionth part of it), but i can say that being an intern in a studio with a SSL 4k, i was firstly attracted to that compressor: it's there and it is so easy...
    and every engineer is using it, so it MUST be good.
    well, i think it has a sound that you may like, but i kinda of get bored with it very fastly....there are plenty of better sounding compressors out there !

My Mixes on Soundcloud

With great monitors its easy to hear and fix problems but hard to enhance things that already sound good.

With hyped monitors, everything sounds good so you don't hear the problems.

With bad monitors, it seems easy to make absolutely anything sound better because you are really fixing the sound of the monitors rather than the sound of the recording.
    Famous Celebuskank Former African Dictator
    Join Date Nov 2011
    Location Charlotte, NC
    Posts 2,159
    Rep Power 536871051

ahem, you ARE punk with...5!
    I feel punk with 2, lol.

If it's music/song/underscore for a video/commercial work, I stay ITB and use one of the Slate compressors. Too many remixes/mixing by committee.

If it's for a song or album, music for music's sake, I use the Daking Fet III.

Then it's too many remixes 'cause I'm an idiot.

But I only do a couple dB. I also just leave it on Auto, because I'm never sure if I'm doing the best setting the release myself, and it seems to work. I don't really hear it, but if you bypass the unit you can tell it was doing something. I've never tried to set it up so i could compare running through the circuitry and not. I guess I'd have to mult the signal and bring both back into the computer and switch between the two?

I don't really know what I'm doing.
    Mike
    Join Date Mar 2012
    Location The Great White North
    Posts 431
    Rep Power 536870990

I don't really know what I'm doing.
    Me either, but it's FUN!
    Join Date Nov 2007
    Location Minneapolis
    Posts 1,399
    Rep Power 44689454

Me either, but it's FUN!
    I will say that regardless of which flavor of 2-buss compressor, you won't be able to get aggressive with them unless you've got a good one. The better the box, the more you'll be able to do with it.
    One can kill people with many tools; the best assassins use the best and most appropriate tools to get the job done...

-Comte
    Join Date Nov 2007
    Location Minneapolis
    Posts 1,399
    Rep Power 44689454

BTW, for whatever it's worth...I knuckled under and bought VBC.

I have to completely concur with Weedy's assessment of it. It does not collapse the stereo field the same way that say the Waves SSL does. Punching between the bypasses was pretty shocking. I think I'd just become so used to what the Waves SSL did that now I'm finding I have to kinda treat my balances differently...it feels like there's a lot of space between the center and sides.

I also rather enjoy the FG-Red...which I'm SURE is Weedy's favorite of the bunch [HEAVY SARCASM]...especially after the FG-Grey...for me I get a little more of the sound of the compression without having to get into really weird balance-altering compression levels.

My one complaint?

The auto-release on the FG-Grey is not anything like a real SSL. It seems faster. I can't bury the needle where I'm used to putting it on a real hardware SSL. It's just an adjustment as far as how deep into it I go...but it's worth noting.

Really wonderful plugs, and TOTALLY worth the price of admission...more than just the 2-bus as well. I've been using them on my drum subgroups and have been loving them there as well.

-Comte
    Join Date Oct 2011
    Location caprica
    Posts 1,558
    Rep Power 536871031

Agreed on the mix balances thing.

I just picked these up yesterday and after messing around for a bit, I realize that I need to go back and actually mix with these things.

The comps are all very different. Simply passing audio through the FG-MU opens up the top a bit, but I can't tell if I really like that.

I will say the FG-Grey is about a thousand times more vibey and punchy than any of the other SSL clones I've tried. I used to like the Waves one ok, but there was just too much of a trade-off and I ended up ditching it. With the grey you can almost get that "squeezed through a rubber tube" sound, if you like that.

The only thing I can't figure out is what is going on with the ratio on the Grey. It seems like there is less gain reduction when turning the ratio up, which is the opposite of what I expected. The Waves SSL did this too, but I haven't been able to find anything that explains why SSL emulations do this. Something about the knee, maybe? It seems "squashier" at lower ratios.
    TAP TO MASTER
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Songwriter Gulch
    Posts 10,141
    Rep Power 536871379

The idea is for the volume to remain constant although in practice this only sort-of works at best.

To me all software compressors are a bit of a mirage. They can work remarkably well one place and totally suck another. When needed, I shoot out a bunch of them because it's hard to predict what will work and what won't. There is no best but when this works, it's remarkably effective provided you find the sweet spot which is necessary for all software models.
    Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Georgetown Masters 615 254-3233
    Interview
    Artists are the gatekeepers of truth!- Paul Robeson
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 5,361
    Rep Power 536871219

To me all software compressors are a bit of a mirage. They can work remarkably well one place and totally suck another. When needed, I shoot out a bunch of them because it's hard to predict what will work and what won't. There is no best but when this works, it's remarkably effective provided you find the sweet spot which is necessary for all software models.
    Agreed 100%. It's amazing how different software comps can workout on different material. VERY different.
    When in doubt, mumble!

EVERYTHING SOUNDS LIKE SHIT IF YA LISTEN LONG AND HARD ENOUGH.
    Join Date Nov 2007
    Location Minneapolis
    Posts 1,399
    Rep Power 44689454

A lot of us were using stereo bus compressors before SSL came around.

But to those who had not used a stereo compressor on the mix before, now that it was right there in the SSL desk it became de rigeur to use it; and to THEM it was a revelation.
    And they became used to that sound.

VCA compressors to me always seem to have that obvious 'hey look!! Compression!!' sound that is rarely for me.
    You mention somewhere that you favored Compexes in your days at Record Plant...and that you currently have Daking compressors.

Not to COMPLETELY derail things, but have you had a chance to play with the Q2 reproductions of the Compex and if so, do you have any impressions of them vs. the originals or the Dakings?

Since I played with my buddy's 2254, I'm really REALLY curious about non-SSL bus compressor faire.

-Comte
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,666
    Rep Power 536871396

I still use either the Compex or the Dakings most of the time.

I have not tried the new ones, but I know John Agnello bought at least one, after the hurricane flooded some of his

he says it's good, but "not the same" as the old ones.
    predictably
    Join Date Nov 2007
    Location Minneapolis
    Posts 1,399
    Rep Power 44689454

I have to revise an earlier statement I made about the FG-Grey model...I was pushing WAY too much low end into it...getting used to my new room.

I CAN get a shitload of squeeze out of it a lot more reliably now.

-Comte
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 14,276
    Rep Power 536871516

I have to revise an earlier statement I made about the FG-Grey model...I was pushing WAY too much low end into it...
    I did the same thing before I started dabbling with the HP.

otek
    "Tube color is not the 'thing'. Why would the most linear amplifying device have a color?" - Jonte Knif
    Hates these rank titles! Wife left with tractor salesman...got John Deere letter
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Posts 200
    Rep Power 156669316

PTHD 8,192 I/O,96 I/O,Midi I/O,Control 24
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,666
    Rep Power 536871396

okay, wel...

a) you're talking about the Raven, and the thread was about the VBC plug ins.

b) your experience may, or may not, be typical of users with Windows 10, but lots of people I know are using Ravens happily with Mac OS, and I'm fairly sure with Windows systems as well

sorry though, that you had so much trouble