Thread: Songwriter in need of a band

Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 423
    Rep Power 536871055

Default Songwriter in need of a band

Ok in the spirit of Cape DIY, well the collabe element is missing as I did this song all myself, drums courtesy of BFD3. As you can hear it would benefit from some real musicians. I'm under no illusion about my playing or singing skills, but it's time to bite the bullet and put some stuff out there.

I have about sixty songs and I've chosen 15 to record and I need help, if anyone is interested give me a shout. This is not a money making thing, again I'm under no illusion about the commercial value of my stuff. I can only afford to press about 300 cds and 100 of them will go to college radio and such. Any sales from the few gigs I will do will have a 30% portion set aside as a token of my appreciation to the players, there's money in the tens of dollars to be made ;-).

Looking for a drummer, Bass player, keys(mainly B3 type pads), and guitar player. Should probably get a body double for the cover shot as well, but.... The stuff is mainly rootsy with an accent on the blues and some twangy country folky stuff.

Anyone interested can give me a shout.

Here's a tune which hopefully doesn't scare off any potential players. Not really mixed yet and I'm not liking how the MP3 is robbing the drums especially, but it is just a demo. Take care, Logan
    Attached Files
    Comfortably dumb Commissioner of Rock and Roll!
    Join Date Jun 2008
    Location Krautistan
    Posts 1,265
    Rep Power 536871063

Default Re: Songwriter in need of a band

I'd be in for guitar playing, if you want to.

All the best,
    the keks
    Cape 8: Team Millionaires, Team Relentless

The accordion - sometimes an instrument .... often just a bag pipe gone wrong.
    (Immanuel)
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 423
    Rep Power 536871055

Cool, hopefully a rhythm section will chime in and then I'll drop box charts and really bad demos to all concerned. Thanks and take care, Logan
    Craves piCklEmiLk Owns a Nappy Headed Hose
    Join Date Jun 2012
    Posts 418
    Rep Power 536870985

If you want some mildly mediocre keys or somewhat competent mixing, count me in for a nickel.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 423
    Rep Power 536871055

Very cool, thanks, hopefully a rhythm section shows up and we got a band ;-). Take care, Logan
    knows every handout in every town Remote recordist...never gets chicks
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
    Posts 635
    Rep Power 536871062

I'll stick my hand up to be 1st reserve on the guitar.

Cheers - Steve

Guitar hack with previous. Stand well back. May sing...
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 423
    Rep Power 536871055

Excellent. Come on you bass players and drummers. Take care, Logan
    Astrological sign is "Feces"! Sees nothing wrong with playing WOW
    Join Date Feb 2013
    Posts 375
    Rep Power 404544276

I'd be willing to take a crack at some bass. Can't promise super-fast turnaround, but sounds like fun.

John Watson - I always hear "punch me in the face" when you're speaking, but it's usually subtext.

Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 423
    Rep Power 536871055

Cool, although I'd like to move this along at a decent pace. Welcome aboard. Take care, Logan
    Astrological sign is "Feces"! Sees nothing wrong with playing WOW
    Join Date Feb 2013
    Posts 375
    Rep Power 404544276

Cool, although I'd like to move this along at a decent pace. Welcome aboard. Take care, Logan
    Fair enough. I meant as much, but realize I could have worded it better. And thanks, looking forward to it.

John Watson - I always hear "punch me in the face" when you're speaking, but it's usually subtext.

Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 423
    Rep Power 536871055

All Right! Ok drummers where are you? Take care, Logan
    Middle Handicapper...short game needs work Sqweels like a pig!
    Join Date Dec 2012
    Location Rome, Italy
    Posts 1,231
    Rep Power 536871007

I'm in for bass too, but i'm late and theunbearable came first !
    I can supply some keys, but i'm really not a hammond guy...

My Mixes on Soundcloud

With great monitors its easy to hear and fix problems but hard to enhance things that already sound good.

With hyped monitors, everything sounds good so you don't hear the problems.

With bad monitors, it seems easy to make absolutely anything sound better because you are really fixing the sound of the monitors rather than the sound of the recording.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 423
    Rep Power 536871055

Cool, Well eventually I want to do 15 tunes so I think there's room for everyone. Take care, Logan
    Middle Handicapper...short game needs work Sqweels like a pig!
    Join Date Dec 2012
    Location Rome, Italy
    Posts 1,231
    Rep Power 536871007

alright !
    i love your songs (been listening to some of them in the last cape )
    i'll be glad to help

My Mixes on Soundcloud

With great monitors its easy to hear and fix problems but hard to enhance things that already sound good.

With hyped monitors, everything sounds good so you don't hear the problems.

With bad monitors, it seems easy to make absolutely anything sound better because you are really fixing the sound of the monitors rather than the sound of the recording.
    Craves piCklEmiLk Owns a Nappy Headed Hose
    Join Date Jun 2012
    Posts 418
    Rep Power 536870985

Here's a tune which hopefully doesn't scare off any potential players. Not really mixed yet and I'm not liking how the MP3 is robbing the drums especially, but it is just a demo. Take care, Logan
    I keep meaning to ask - do you hear B3's, or honkey-tonk piano/wurly?
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 423
    Rep Power 536871055

Well like I said in the initial post I have 15 songs I want to do so there's room for everything. There's a bunch of 12 bar blues pieces where I mostly hear B3 but there are tunes that could be both whirly and honky tonk. The tune I posted might not even need keys at all, but I'm willing to try anything.

I understand nobody has the time to contribute to all the tunes, but when we get started I'll drop 4 or 5 in the dropbox and folks can pick and choose the tunes they want to play on.

I'm not sure exactly how to proceed without a drummer, but if no one shows up soon We'll have a go anyway. Take care, Logan
    Join Date Dec 2013
    Location Danmark
    Posts 231
    Rep Power 102554282

Hi Logan. If I can fit it into my schedule, I could have a go at the drums. I kinda miss playing, since I've mostly been mixing these last couple of years. (Got my second kid and stopped touring 3 years ago).
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 423
    Rep Power 536871055

Perfect, we have a band. Give me a couple of days to get organized, I'm in the midst of a rotten bout of the flu, then I'll contact folks to make sure they have dropbox and put some tunes in. Folks can get back to me and let me know what parts they want to play on which tunes. Take care, Logan
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 423
    Rep Power 536871055

Ok I think I can move away from the large ceramic telephone where I've been making many long distance calls to RRRRAAAALLPPPPHHH ORRRROOOOORRRKE, so lets get under way.

First thing does everyone have drop box? I'd like to use it to send files. Send me an email at loganmurrayatxplornetdotcom and I'll send an invite to a dropbox folder. I'll drop 4 or 5 tunes, in there, that are just rhythm guitar and vocal, played to a click, and a lyric sheet with chords and the BPM of each tune. Each person can send files of tracks they do for whatever song they want to do on their respective instrument. Please record at 96/32 if possible.

I'll also send each player who records a track a request for a paypal account. If you record a track that is used, and I think most will be, you will get a credit and all the credits will be added up and 30% of the proceeds of the sales will go to players according to the credits they have. The payouts will happen once per quarter into a paypal account.

Don't get excited it's small money and I know most guys will just say don't bother, but I want to acknowledge the contributions of the players, because you will be the most important part of the record and it's important to me to make an effort to pay something, even if it's only enough to buy a beer.
    You will definitely be credited for your work and I'll send whatever paper work is necessary to whatever rights organization you have in your respect countries if they are progressive enough to also pay musicians on projects, I know here in Canada folks get small payments for having done session work on releases if they get radio play. Extremely unlikely in my case but I will be sending stuff to some radio. so who knows maybe your track will make the record a hit and we'll all get rich. Cough cough fucking dreamer cough cough.

So that's it for the moment send me some info and I'll get you hooked up with the demos. I thought about waiting for the drum tracks first but it might be fun to see what tracks influence what other tracks. We'll try that at least for awhile. Load your track in and I'll add them to the demo

If you want to wait until we have a rhythm section down first by all means go ahead and if you are a guitar player feel free to replace my rhythm guitar as well, I really do suck as a player, as a singer as well, for that matter but I think I'm going to have to use my own vocals. I'll redo my vocals and any guitar that might still be necessary as we get some tracks I can work to. The tracks I'm putting up first were just done with a 58 in front of the console or an acoustic DI'd.

Now for those of you who want to apply as body double for the cover shot just send me a photo if you're a handsome lad a cool look of complete disdain is what I'm going for ;-). Take care, Logan
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 423
    Rep Power 536871055

Ok a few guys have responded and I think I've sent the proper stuff to share a dropbox folder, called Logan Demos. I'm new to dropbox so I don't know if I have it right. We'll see if it shows up.

It's also been pointed out that some guys use their dropbox for sending files to clients and need a lot of capacity for that, and it would be an inconvenience to load their dropbox up with big files.
    So maybe we could work with just MP3s back and forth until tracks are nailed down, and when they are you could send me a 96/32 file either by another means or through the drop box and I'll import it into my daw and delete right away.

Anybody got ideas? I'll load the original demos as low MP3s and we'll see how that goes. I have the worst internet in the world so it's time consuming uploading files so bear with me. Take care, Logan