Thread: What do you guys think of this? - Arapolarmic

Owns and wears an Elvis jumpsuit Abstruse Absquatulater
    Join Date Apr 2008
    Location JHB, RSA
    Posts 2,385
    Rep Power 536871101

Default What do you guys think of this? - Arapolarmic

I smell useless gimmick. Don't we have enough visual stimuli in audio already?

Cheers
    Originally Posted by Slipperman
    Deny everything and claim it's all "Haas-Moeller and Graffenfrimitz" MICING techniques and CAN'T be removed from the tracks without damaging the stereo field due to the "Von Stauffenberg Effect".
    Pan Music Productions
    http://gregbester.xp3.biz
    Craves piCklEmiLk Owns a Nappy Headed Hose
    Join Date Jul 2012
    Location Brisbane, Australia
    Posts 415
    Rep Power 536870983

Default Re: What do you guys think of this? - Arapolarmic

Awesome.

Yet another stupidity indicator.

I'm all for it.
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,776
    Rep Power 536871397

WTF????

FUCKING MORONS.
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Owns and wears an Elvis jumpsuit Abstruse Absquatulater
    Join Date Apr 2008
    Location JHB, RSA
    Posts 2,385
    Rep Power 536871101

WTF????

FUCKING MORONS.
    Eloquently put John. My thoughts exactly.

Originally Posted by Slipperman
    Deny everything and claim it's all "Haas-Moeller and Graffenfrimitz" MICING techniques and CAN'T be removed from the tracks without damaging the stereo field due to the "Von Stauffenberg Effect".
    Pan Music Productions
    http://gregbester.xp3.biz
    this womb is your womb, this womb is my womb drinks tea in coffeehouses
    Join Date Oct 2013
    Posts 157
    Rep Power 0

Will it work with Steven Slate Virtual Microphone System?!
    Little River Band on The Run Internet Meme
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,407
    Rep Power 536871253

To record my invisible friends? Definitely!
    Astrological sign is "Feces"! Prefers Epiphone to Gibson
    Join Date Apr 2009
    Location 36-9'56"n/86-47'3"w
    Posts 385
    Rep Power 536871023

I think it's great. This will keep the self proclaimed experts at GS busy for hours on end arguing. With luck they'll spend so much time arguing about the proper colors they won't have time to hand out bad advice.
    Rednecks call me a Tree Hugger and Tree Huggers call me a Redneck...I must be doing something right to piss everyone off.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 6,812
    Rep Power 2500000000

Ok, first off.

That video gave me epilepsy.

Whomever thought it was a brilliant idea to have blinding fast cutaways and flashing effects in video WAS taken out behind the barn and summarily executed back in 1998, when we all realized that MTV had jumped the shark, but not before the newbie kid video editors of today picked up the horse-shit idea.

Please, I know what you're going through. You are, after all, tasked with making a somehow exciting promo video of an indeterminately ugly dude staring like an idiot at an iPad while he takes a picture of a microphone. I don't envy you your task, but you failed to "sex it up" by doing extreme fast cutaways. Take a lawnmower to your EDL.

Oh, and yes, I DID notice that the cutaways were all on the beat, with the music. How unfortunate for the rest of us that you've "discovered" this neat-o technique.

Now, back to the regularly scheduled programming.

I think this iPad app is potentially a very nice training tool. In the right hands, it should be very nice for demonstrating visually why what you hear, happened. In other words, it is a FORENSIC EDUCATION tool. You're hearing something. let's go out into the main room with our iPad and see if we can show you WHY you're hearing that.

Sadly, as Rarick has pointed out, it will instead be done entirely backwards, and the world of GS-pundits will declare that the mic is in the proper position because the picture looks best in this orientation.

And I do grant them this: that using this app (as I understand it to work after watching a montage of 0.367 second cutaways of it) as a way to position mics WILL achieve better results than simply dropping mics randomly in the room in general proximity to the instrument being recorded.

It will also cut down on the number of loomers that set up a side-address mic pointing straight on (without intent to), and vice versa.
    "...but ma, audio engineering IS gainful employment!..."

"...If I wuz at that club where Miles played one note I would have bounced ONE BOTTLE off his shiny fucking coconut. What? He's Phil Glass now?..." -Slipperman

"...never attribute to magic, that which can be explained by conspiracy."
    this womb is your womb, this womb is my womb drinks tea in coffeehouses
    Join Date Oct 2013
    Posts 157
    Rep Power 0

Default What do you guys think of this? - Arapolarmic

That video gave me epilepsy.
    Whomever thought it was a brilliant idea to have blinding fast cutaways and flashing effects in video WAS taken out behind the barn and summarily executed back in 1998, when we all realized that MTV had jumped the shark, but not before the newbie kid video editors of today picked up the horse-shit idea.
    Please, I know what you're going through. You are, after all, tasked with making a somehow exciting promo video of an indeterminately ugly dude staring like an idiot at an iPad while he takes a picture of a microphone. I don't envy you your task, but you failed to "sex it up" by doing extreme fast cutaways. Take a lawnmower to your EDL.
    Oh, and yes, I DID notice that the cutaways were all on the beat, with the music. How unfortunate for the rest of us that you've "discovered" this neat-o technique.
    [...]

...montage of 0.367 second cutaways...

It's quite what I felt watching it
    Can't judge, with so fast edit.
    Join Date Sep 2007
    Location East Glenbeckistan
    Posts 3,796
    Rep Power 536871156

I understand what it does and how it could be useful to someone who has never mic'd up a session but for someone who has actual skills and experience it seems like the ultimate time-waster. Just my $0.02 FWIW
    "Far too many people suffer from the anal-cranial inversion. They got their heads stuck up their asses!" - Tom Dowd
    "A great, timeless album is more than just an entertainment app." - Don Was
    "Success does not mean success. You are only as successful as your last hit record." - Patrick Adams (record producer)
    "The tech sector is like a guy in a crowded prison cell, who finds a hand grenade, and sets it off, so that he'll have the entire cell to himself." - Dwoz
    In a world of ones and zeros...this one's the latter. Breast reduction surgery candidate
    Join Date Aug 2012
    Location Somewhere in the vincinity of
    Posts 560
    Rep Power 536870988

I smell useless gimmick. Don't we have enough visual stimuli in audio already?

Cheers
    Yeah sure we all have that much time to lose on our iPwads during a recording session !
    And it's proven that more colours makes for a better sounding record after all
    Even for beginners I think it's a good way to spend more time looking at mics than listening to them...

Peace
    Great, quick or cheap. Pick two
    It's vintage only if it works. Otherwise it's just an old piece of junk !
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 14,275
    Rep Power 536871515

Not sure I get it (I'm too senile to get the new-fangled video editing approach), but I assume the idea is to have a visual idea of the mic's characteristics as a guide for positioning?

Ergo, another useless way of engaging the wrong sensory input. I thought DAW screens were plenty.

otek
    "Tube color is not the 'thing'. Why would the most linear amplifying device have a color?" - Jonte Knif
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,776
    Rep Power 536871397

How does this work with the colors of my preamp collection?

Should they match or complement?
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    In a world of ones and zeros...this one's the latter. Breast reduction surgery candidate
    Join Date Aug 2012
    Location Somewhere in the vincinity of
    Posts 560
    Rep Power 536870988

How does this work with the colors of my preamp collection?

Should they match or complement?
    Obviously it depends on the genre you're recording and the tempo of the song. Low tempo ballads need "cold" colors like blue or a dark purple while uptempo punk rock is more like red and yellow you know
    Great, quick or cheap. Pick two
    It's vintage only if it works. Otherwise it's just an old piece of junk !
    Join Date May 2013
    Location Ciderland, UK
    Posts 986
    Rep Power 536870993

It's perfect for it.

You can use it to help you imagine what the polar pattern would be if you were using the actual mic you're modelling
    goes looking for thin ice to walk on Not as sentimental as those other silly valentines.
    Join Date Jan 2014
    Location Mpumalanga, South Africa
    Posts 81
    Rep Power 268435623

Faaarrkkk... if you dont know the hot side and polar patterns of a microphone you better get the fuck out of the studio...
    The Ghost in the machine. That's all I have ever been.
    www.dewaudio.com
    The bottom line remains - no matter what fancy plug-ins they come up with and what super flat response microphones. If the artist/band is shit the sound will forever be shit no matter what knobs you twiddle.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 6,812
    Rep Power 2500000000

We are all way too cynical.

there is a huge market for this app. Massive market.

That market just happens to be the vast number of sessions where what the mic looks like is far more interesting than what the mic sounds like.

I would daresay that this market eclipses by far the market of the sessions where the opposite is true.

"...If I wuz at that club where Miles played one note I would have bounced ONE BOTTLE off his shiny fucking coconut. What? He's Phil Glass now?..." -Slipperman

Bounty Hunter's Kentucky Waterfall Fancy Atari owner
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 2,026
    Rep Power 536871107

Totally get why you guys find this barf making.

Not being an AE I have no opinion there.

As a Musician, I’m too damn old to want to work with anybody who doesn’t already know where to put his tools.

As a UI guy,

The Good

OK right. Take a 2d vector image of a mic pattern and rotate it around it’s axis of symmetry and get a “3d” representation. Superimpose this on a background, reduce it’s alpha channel some, then map the standard suite of touch controls to the standard transformations, Scaling, Rotation, Translation, Shear, Reflection. Possibly take the orientation information available through the API to automatically apply shear and increase the effect that the object is embedded in the background.

That’s really pretty cool in a general way if it feels intuitive. And I can think of actual “use cases” where it could be really helpful.

The Bad

Not sure how easy this is to use. I have some experience doing UI screen casts and I know some of the tricks. Some of the demo “moves” looked like they might have been done a few times. This is NOT a sin in itself IMO if you took a screen capture of your own workflow and looked at your mouse movements, you’d likely be shocked at just how much they were bouncing around, I know I always am. Still it didn’t look all that easy to deal with. I’d have to check it out though to be fair.

The Ugly

I’m with Dwoz, it probably could help someone actually realize that sound is not a 2D phenomenon, which is maybe significant as that pool ball on rubber table trick they use to demo “gravity wells” in all the Neil deGrasse Tyson shows is cool but doesn’t really represent that what’s going on is going on in all 3 spacial dimensions, other than in the broadest strokes. BUT what’s really happening here is that you the human are solving the actual problem and are then presented with something like a puzzle that’s trying to give you the illusion that it is solving the problem that you just solved. That is not a really a good use of tech IMO.

But yeah to simply have a 3d representation of a pattern I could see as being potentially really useful. Although if you see that done a few times perhaps the job is accomplished? And now you can do the expansion your own self.

My point here is that the visualization itself could be really useful while the mapping to an actual environment might best be done by the human without "aid"

However, one could argue that the actual difficulty of manually positioning the pattern ( through the UI ) might ironically wind up strengthening its internal representation for the user, sort of like a haptic method of loci. Still would that be stronger than just moving the mic?

So here again ( what a surprise ) I'm with Dwoz. All y'all are clearly NOT the target in any way.

That said, it’s a pretty common problem ( mistaking cause for effect ) with 3d visualization stuff, even though I think the area has tremendous potential.

-mous

PS

Since writing the above, I checked out their web site. It seems way less cynical than I would have expected from the vid. I’ll likely be getting a copy ( or rather getting work to get me a copy ) just to check out the control structure. I’ll report back when and if I do. If anybody actually cares
    Last edited by mousdrvr; March 8th, 2014 at 02:54 AM.
    Former burger flipper turned Alshi expert Granfaloon
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Big rock candy mountains.
    Posts 1,074
    Rep Power 536871075

I'm colour blind...
    I would go so far as to say that pop art is the ultimate reflection of society.

Donít think about that too much. Itís too painful.

-Mixerman
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 6,812
    Rep Power 2500000000

I'm with maus, and I'm buyin'

...just sayin.

but really, the UX aspect is def cool and most cooked. Love it. It combines the best of face-recognition technology with first-class grade-capital-fucking-a clownfucking. Who doesn't love that?

I stand by my previous notation that this would be a fantastic training tool that would be useful up to and until the "a-ha" moment. After that, it's gathering dust in a drawer and wondering if the velveteen rabbit is it's long-lost cousin.