Thread: Multi-channel instruments and muting

Famous Celebuskank Former African Dictator
    Join Date Nov 2011
    Location Charlotte, NC
    Posts 2,159
    Rep Power 536871050

Default Multi-channel instruments and muting

This is driving me nuts and I'm thinking there's a setting somewhere I'm missing.

I'm in Omnisphere using 8 channels.

I want to mute (or solo) one of the midi channels that appears in the Arrangement window, but it mutes all of them. Or I want to mute 5 of the channels and leave one unmuted.

Am I making sense?

Is there an option for this or do I have to go into Omnishpere and do it on their mixer? Which is a different PITA.

Oh, this is Logic X.
    Mike
    Bovine Scatologist Loves British 'Cuisine'
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location In my happy place!
    Posts 1,630
    Rep Power 536871092

Sushi Re: Multi-channel instruments and muting

What happens when you try to mute/solo in the mixer? That's usually where I will do it when I want to work on a multi-channel instrument (been doing this with BFD3 lately).

jord
    Real guitar heroes play real guitars!!

Jordan%20L.%20Chilcott
    Join Date Nov 2011
    Location Charlotte, NC
    Posts 2,159
    Rep Power 536871050

Default Re: Multi-channel instruments and muting

What happens when you try to mute/solo in the mixer? That's usually where I will do it when I want to work on a multi-channel instrument (been doing this with BFD3 lately).

jord
    Well, I'm not running it out multi-outs, so it mutes all the channels.

I guess I should clarify and say I have the one audio channel for the VI, and then the 8 midi channels in the arrange window.

The reason I'm not running multi out is to save some CPU cycles.

Does this help?
    Mike
    Being Over There Now Retired phone sex worker... no more hang-ups!
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location here I am, you're looking at m
    Posts 3,622
    Rep Power 536871160

Addictive Drums allow me to mute individual channels when I run multi-out (8 mono, 2 stereo). I don't think I've ever taken a CPU hit for doing it that way, or if I have it's pretty negligible.

But then, Addictive Drums isn't Omnisphere...
    Join Date Nov 2011
    Location Charlotte, NC
    Posts 2,159
    Rep Power 536871050

Addictive Drums allow me to mute individual channels when I run multi-out (8 mono, 2 stereo). I don't think I've ever taken a CPU hit for doing it that way, or if I have it's pretty negligible.

But then, Addictive Drums isn't Omnisphere...
    No, I like running multiple outs. But I'm scoring a movie and there's lots of these VIs. Plus the overhead of the movie. So I just try to keep things as simple as possible.

I could've sworn that at some point along the development road you could mute just one midi channel in the arrange window. Then it was gone. Like the wind. Oooooooo....

Oh well.
    Mike
    goes looking for thin ice to walk on Thinks 'Catcher in the Rye' refers to a book
    Join Date Jan 2012
    Location Johannesburg, South Africa
    Posts 93
    Rep Power 71

Default Multi-channel instruments and muting

What happens if you just mute the midi part/clip as opposed to the channel? Not much of a workaround but it may do the trick?
    Join Date Nov 2011
    Location Charlotte, NC
    Posts 2,159
    Rep Power 536871050

What happens if you just mute the midi part/clip as opposed to the channel? Not much of a workaround but it may do the trick?
    Thanks Method!

Yes it works, but there's a delay until the sound goes off. Especially if it's a long note. Some of those synth take a while to cut off.

I want it now! NOW NOW NOW! Lol
    Mike
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 1,630
    Rep Power 536871092

Sushi Re: Multi-channel instruments and muting

How much of a delay are you getting? I've been muting MIDI regions and maybe hear the next note due to my inability to click faster, but that's really all I hear.

There's now a Track On/Off switch which will turn off the track itself. I'm willing to wager a bet that too many noobs confuse the Mute functionality in the Arrange Window with the Mute functionality on the mixer channer so Apple just said "Screw it!" and unified the functionality and added that On/Off switch, which is basically the old Mute button.

jord

Jordan%20L.%20Chilcott
    Join Date Nov 2011
    Location Charlotte, NC
    Posts 2,159
    Rep Power 536871050

How much of a delay are you getting? I've been muting MIDI regions and maybe hear the next note due to my inability to click faster, but that's really all I hear.

There's now a Track On/Off switch which will turn off the track itself. I'm willing to wager a bet that too many noobs confuse the Mute functionality in the Arrange Window with the Mute functionality on the mixer channer so Apple just said "Screw it!" and unified the functionality and added that On/Off switch, which is basically the old Mute button.

jord
    Its not a delay per Se, but whatever note has been triggered plays it's duration. No new notes play though. As expected. I've got a score I'm doing right now where some drones play for up to a minute or more, lol. But I've never trusted myself muting segments for mixing purposes. When I'm writing/arranging, I do all the time. But not when mixing. I'm afraid I'll forget to Unmute it. Just me probably, lol.

Superior Drummer and Omnisphere are my main frustrations. When I've got Hollywood strings or something like that, they bug me as well.

For instance, I want to mute midi channel 5 of Omnisphere, but if I click it in the arrange window, it mutes all the midis channels, the same as if I'd clicked mute on the channel strip in the mixer window. So then you're into the instrument itself using their mixer. It's just clunky and I thought there was a setting. At least at one time.

Now I've not tried the track on/off, we'll see if that does it, but I was thinking that just shut off the inst channel, saving CPU. Kinda like Opt/Click in a plug, but it's been a while since I read about that feature.

Man! I wish I was a noob!

Thanks Jord!
    Mike
    Join Date Nov 2011
    Location Charlotte, NC
    Posts 2,159
    Rep Power 536871050

On/Off Does it. Exactly what I'm looking for.

Now why the mute button isn't what is used for this is beyond be, but it works!

Thanks Jord!
    Mike
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 1,630
    Rep Power 536871092

Like I said: n00bs were confusing its functionality with that of the mixer, believing that the arrangement track would work the same way as the mixer. Saw that many times on Apple's forums.

Despite the fact that we knew better, I can sort of see their side from a UX point of view.

Glad it's all working now.

jord

Jordan%20L.%20Chilcott