Thread: Interesting Article on Logic's Compressor

Bovine Scatologist Loves British 'Cuisine'
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location In my happy place!
    Posts 1,630
    Rep Power 536871091

Uh oh. Interesting Article on Logic's Compressor

http://www.askaudiomag.com/articles/...-circuit-types

I only noticed recently that there may different compressor models in Logic Pro X than there were in Logic 9 (I could have sworn there was a VariMu type model in 9).

I might be trying a bit more experimentation, although I'm wondering if my findings will turn out tainted.

jord
    Real guitar heroes play real guitars!!

Jordan%20L.%20Chilcott
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 14,273
    Rep Power 536871514

Default Re: Interesting Article on Logic's Compressor

I believe the compressor models are the same, or at least give the same type references. There are no references to Vari-Mu compression in 9.

It's also interesting how those models sound - bear in mind, however, I'm still in 9 and have not tried out the X version.

The "Opto" type is actually what sounds the closest to a real 1176 to me. Unlike the LA-2, the release is lightning fast - you can easily make it sound like distortion. The Platinum compressor easily wins the "idiot proof" category and will not "growl" at even the fastest release time, but it's hard to use anything less than about 100-150 ms on the Opto.

The VCA can be set to have a very fast attack, very little gets past it, while the Opto gives you almost a caricature of overshoot at extreme settings.

otek
    "Tube color is not the 'thing'. Why would the most linear amplifying device have a color?" - Jonte Knif
    Famous Celebuskank Former African Dictator
    Join Date Nov 2011
    Location Charlotte, NC
    Posts 2,159
    Rep Power 536871049

It may have been in 8 or an earlier iteration of 9, but there was a Mu compressor setting at one time.
    Mike
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 1,630
    Rep Power 536871091

Of course I had to boot up Logic 9 for old times sake, and there is a reference to the Mu... it's the ClassA_U.

The models definitely changed in Logic Pro X with two types of VCA and FET (Studio and Vintage) as well as a Vintage Opto.

Now my curiosity has been sparked... I sort of want to see how they compare to the NI compressors that I have been using recently, and enjoying.

jord

Jordan%20L.%20Chilcott
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 14,273
    Rep Power 536871514

Of course I had to boot up Logic 9 for old times sake, and there is a reference to the Mu... it's the ClassA_U.
    I didn't know this.

Thanks for the info!

otek
    "Tube color is not the 'thing'. Why would the most linear amplifying device have a color?" - Jonte Knif
    Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Slippy's codpiece...ewwww.
    Join Date Aug 2014
    Location Tilburg, the Netherlands
    Posts 17
    Rep Power 134217869

For some reason I never really liked Logic's stock compressor. :/
    Famous Celebuskank Former African Dictator
    Join Date Nov 2011
    Location Charlotte, NC
    Posts 2,159
    Rep Power 536871049

I didn't know this.

Thanks for the info!

otek
    It's gone in X. At least the name.

I agree with you about the opto.
    Mike
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 1,630
    Rep Power 536871091

For some reason I never really liked Logic's stock compressor. :/
    The Platinum mode always felt lifeless and sterile. IMHO, it was and still is without character... rather digital, if I may say. I suppose there is a use for it.

Admittedly, I never really realized it until I tried things like the FocusRite Liquid Mix (to which I am pissed off at them for never making a 64-bit driver).

It's gone in X. At least the name.

I agree with you about the opto.
    I'm willing to bet that they got rid of it because they felt it was easier to get a more "convincing" solid state type emulation by sticking with things like SSL, 1176, DBX160, etc., than a class A tube type emulation. Users probably didn't go for it either, considering that they probably couldn't drive it to distortion like a real unit.

I'll have to try chaining the opto with a FET, like some engineers do on a vocal chain. I tried this with the NI plug-ins and I loved the results... I'm curious to see how Logic's own would stand up to it.

jord

Jordan%20L.%20Chilcott