Thread: NFL wants artists to pay to play Super Bowl

Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,749
    Rep Power 536871394

Default Re: NFL wants artists to pay to play Super Bowl

Thats laughable. Not sure why I am even responding to it, I must be in a good mood. Before you seek representation I suggest you learn the industry 1st, or you will be a headache for anyone to work with. Are companies like TuneCore, CD Baby (and my own distribution company for that matter) getting over on artists for charging for distribution? iTunes, Amazon and the other major stores don't charge us a cent to ingest our music so should the artists get it free too??

I pay my artists far more than most labels or management companies. Artists can make up to 50% versus the Industry Standard of 15% or if using the point system maybe 5 points. I go to bat for my artists, I even operate some of their Facebook and Twitter accounts, run the fan clubs, the whole 9. You have no idea who you're talking to so I will blame your ignorance and not your heart.

If you want to speak on the NFL and artist exploitation I'm game, but other than that the convo between You and I is about done.

Smooth
    Music Blast Global (http://MusicBlastGlobal.com)
    UGF Entertainment (http://UGFEnt.net)
    UGF Digital (http://UGFDigital.com)

smooth@UGFEnt.net
    Let's take this to PM. I have some questions...
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Dated Paris Hilton before she was a tramp!
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Posts 26
    Rep Power 29

No, it's not justifiable. Do you honestly think that Katy Perry will benefit more from the "exposure" of miming 3 songs at the Super Bowl than the Super Bowl will benefit from having her? It's not like the Grammys, which is an awards show, it's a flat-out commercial venture for which the NFL (an allegedly non-profit organization according to the US government) is raking in millions of dollars.
    To those that did not believe what I said (as an industry professional) regarding artist benefiting from performing at the Super Bowl - View Both Attachments to see how well it impacted the artists...... I accept your apology.

Smooth

smooth@UGFEnt.net
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	superbowl1.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	12868  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	superbowl2.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	12867  

Join Date Oct 2011
    Location caprica
    Posts 1,550
    Rep Power 536871028

To those that did not believe what I said (as an industry professional) regarding artist benefiting from performing at the Super Bowl - View Both Attachments to see how well it impacted the artists...... I accept your apology.
    I saw a little bit of the halftime show and I thought it was exceptionally well done.

The truth is, neither of you are these artists' managers and therefore have no idea if there was a projected increase in sales or not. I think the show proves that if you kick major ass and try to be exceptional, you can see an increase in sales. That's a good thing. It also means people were watching. Which kind of proves the other point.

This isn't a contest, so get out of here with that smug "I accept your apology" bull. This is a place to learn.
    TAP TO MASTER
    Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Dated Paris Hilton before she was a tramp!
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Posts 26
    Rep Power 29

I saw a little bit of the halftime show and I thought it was exceptionally well done.

The truth is, neither of you are these artists' managers and therefore have no idea if there was a projected increase in sales or not. I think the show proves that if you kick major ass and try to be exceptional, you can see an increase in sales. That's a good thing. It also means people were watching. Which kind of proves the other point.

This isn't a contest, so get out of here with that smug "I accept your apology" bull. This is a place to learn.
    Well now you've been taught. You're Welcome.
    Astrological sign is "Feces"! Prefers rhythm cowbell to lead
    Join Date Apr 2009
    Location 36-9'56"n/86-47'3"w
    Posts 384
    Rep Power 536871021

So they spend a few hundred thousand dollars to make ...maybe...20,000.

Brilliant
    Rednecks call me a Tree Hugger and Tree Huggers call me a Redneck...I must be doing something right to piss everyone off.
    Join Date Apr 2010
    Location Second largest French City
    Posts 1,267
    Rep Power 536871038

Your impression of me is neither required nor desired. I don't want to come off as cocky by any means but I have been in the Industry far too long to be concerned with whether You are impressed or not. I am a member of most of the music industry trade organizations and have continued to meet their strict requirements for over a decade, I have nothing to prove or to gain from a debate. The discussion isn't about Me, it was about the NFL. Stick to That.

Smooth

smooth@UGFEnt.net

This site is different from many of the others that you might have seen or joined; this isn't one filled with wide-eyed newbies "looking to make it". This place is filled with great producers, mixers, engineers, and musicians that have gold and platinum records on their walls, along with gleaming hardware in their trophy cases, so you can dial it back on pimping your credentials.

As for the NFL vs The Grammys, do the Grammys require each artist to pay to play for their televised performance? Why would it be acceptable for the NFL, the most successful sports league in North America, to demand that someone pay them to fill otherwise dead air during a half time show?
    The emotionally and tonally deaf cannot hear the important things and never will. They will scream to the heavens the rest of us are wrong and produce useless papers to prove their point.
    Anybody claiming to be the first probably wasn't!
    www.timvandeven.com
    Comfortably dumb Eventually replaced hamsters with groundhogs
    Join Date Jun 2008
    Location Krautistan
    Posts 1,259
    Rep Power 536871059

OK, let's do some maths here.
    6000 iTunes song sells for Missy Elliott, taken from the first picture you shared makes her well below 6k in income.
    I don't believe that a buy in for a pay to play show of this caliber could be a four digit number,
    so, nope, not recouped, yet.

All the best,
    the keks
    Cape 8: Team Millionaires, Team Relentless

The accordion - sometimes an instrument .... often just a bag pipe gone wrong.
    (Immanuel)
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Posts 26
    Rep Power 29

This site is different from many of the others that you might have seen or joined; this isn't one filled with wide-eyed newbies "looking to make it". This place is filled with great producers, mixers, engineers, and musicians that have gold and platinum records on their walls, along with gleaming hardware in their trophy cases, so you can dial it back on pimping your credentials.

As for the NFL vs The Grammys, do the Grammys require each artist to pay to play for their televised performance? Why would it be acceptable for the NFL, the most successful sports league in North America, to demand that someone pay them to fill otherwise dead air during a half time show?
    The comment was directed at the people (not in the business) who were stubborn to listen to the Facts (read the posts)..

And yes Grammy performers pay for the stage set. When you see them jumping off of platforms and dropping from the sky, they paid for that. The only thing that is free for the performer is the ticket to the show (which for platinum seating the cost is about $1,200)..
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Posts 26
    Rep Power 29

OK, let's do some maths here.
    6000 iTunes song sells for Missy Elliott, taken from the first picture you shared makes her well below 6k in income.
    I don't believe that a buy in for a pay to play show of this caliber could be a four digit number,
    so, nope, not recouped, yet.

All the best,
    the keks
    The problem is you dont know how much she is making per album. Not to mention increased sales = increased radio, increased touring, increased value, etc., but since Nielsen SoundScan deals with tracking sales thats why only the sales increase was mentioned.
    Join Date Apr 2010
    Posts 1,267
    Rep Power 536871038

The comment was directed at the people (not in the business) who were stubborn to listen to the Facts (read the posts)..

And yes Grammy performers pay for the stage set. When you see them jumping off of platforms and dropping from the sky, they paid for that. The only thing that is free for the performer is the ticket to the show (which for platinum seating the cost is about $1,200)..
    Yes, if KISS was playing the Grammys, I'm sure that they'd bring their own stage set-up (which is being used elsewhere). I'm talking about the Grammys charging a fee to perform.

And which people "not in the business" on this site were you referring to?
    The emotionally and tonally deaf cannot hear the important things and never will. They will scream to the heavens the rest of us are wrong and produce useless papers to prove their point.
    www.timvandeven.com
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Posts 26
    Rep Power 29

Yes, if KISS was playing the Grammys, I'm sure that they'd bring their own stage set-up (which is being used elsewhere). I'm talking about the Grammys charging a fee to perform.
    Not a direct payment for performing.
    Join Date Apr 2010
    Posts 1,267
    Rep Power 536871038

Not a direct payment for performing.
    Which the NFL *is* charging....that's my point.
    www.timvandeven.com
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,749
    Rep Power 536871394

So they spend a few hundred thousand dollars to make ...maybe...20,000.

Brilliant
    Exactly.

Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,749
    Rep Power 536871394

The problem is you dont know how much she is making per album. Not to mention increased sales = increased radio, increased touring, increased value, etc., but since Nielsen SoundScan deals with tracking sales thats why only the sales increase was mentioned.
    I don't believe that much, if anything was said about album sales. Song sales are not album sales. it takes 10-12 song sales to equal one album.

Join Date Oct 2011
    Location caprica
    Posts 1,550
    Rep Power 536871028

Well now you've been taught. You're Welcome.
    Yes, I have learned a lot from many others on this forum.
    TAP TO MASTER
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 11,544
    Rep Power 536871422

Katy Perry going from 47,000 albums* the first week for "One Of The Boys" to hoping for 17,000 singles, whose sales would equal, on average, less than 1,700 albums, doesn't seem impressive, "1000% increase" (projected) notwithstanding.

That may be the result of a combination of things: old songs, streaming alternatives and piracy.

But IMO it makes it hard to press the case for paying to play.

What is the NFL's excuse, anyway? Tight budget?

You're breaking my heart

*if wiki can be trusted on this...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_of_...ty_Perry_album)
    Man! You have GOT to try a hit of this RANGE SUNSHINE!

IMTBO = In My Thoroughly Biased Opinion
    CMIIW = Correct Me If I'm Wrong
    Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
    If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Posts 26
    Rep Power 29

Katy Perry going from 47,000 albums* the first week for "One Of The Boys" to hoping for 17,000 singles, whose sales would equal, on average, less than 1,700 albums, doesn't seem impressive, "1000% increase" (projected) notwithstanding.

That may be the result of a combination of things: old songs, streaming alternatives and piracy.

But IMO it makes it hard to press the case for paying to play.

What is the NFL's excuse, anyway? Tight budget?

You're breaking my heart

*if wiki can be trusted on this...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_of_...ty_Perry_album)
    he also have to remember that it was proposed they wanted to start charging but it was never decide upon so it is possible that they were not charged to perform. the point is though that silver boosted. whether it is album sales or single sales does not matter, because they both equate to more radio spins with equal more publishing and more sponsorship and endorsements which equals more money in the long run
    Large dairy air enthusiast Runs a 4.35 forty...yeah right!
    Join Date Mar 2007
    Location Gothenburg, Sweden
    Posts 1,188
    Rep Power 536871072

As an aside: I've seen the halftime show, know what artist played (and knew their music from before), but still don't know who played in the finals of the "main entertainment".

If if they the start p2p we should organize a kick starter for slayer to play there next year.
    EMK is well known in Nantucket
    A reputation so strong, he can't duck it
    The swedish bikini team
    couldn't help but scream
    when his armadillo escaped from his pocket.

Cape10 : Team Barricades (mix)
    Cape9 : Madison Square Warden (bass)
    Cape8 : Roots (bass&bones) | relentless (ideas&support)
    Cape7 : Argonauts (bass) | Big Band Theory (bones)
    Join Date Jun 2008
    Location Krautistan
    Posts 1,259
    Rep Power 536871059

If if they the start p2p we should organize a kick starter for slayer to play there next year.
    G-War.

(Immanuel)
    Join Date Jun 2008
    Location Krautistan
    Posts 1,259
    Rep Power 536871059

he also have to remember that it was proposed they wanted to start charging but it was never decide upon so it is possible that they were not charged to perform. the point is though that silver boosted. whether it is album sales or single sales does not matter, because they both equate to more radio spins with equal more publishing and more sponsorship and endorsements which equals more money in the long run
    Sure, and no one in here really disputes that.
    The real question is, how expensive such a hich profile buy in would be and whether it is probable that this sum is reallistically recoupable from said benefits.
    I read my numbers wrong in my posting above,
    but nonetheless you have to sell a whole lot of streams and singles to recoup a five/six figure investment these days, for an event that may buy you a four week attention span...
    I guess many artists would be better off to spend said money on making a great record or preparing a great tour.

(Immanuel)