Thread: Any UAD/Logic gotchas I should look out for?

Bovine Scatologist Loves British 'Cuisine'
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location In my happy place!
    Posts 1,630
    Rep Power 536871092

Sushi Any UAD/Logic gotchas I should look out for?

My MOTU 24I/O has finally started to check out after 10 years, leaving me no choice but to get a new audio interface. If anything, I'm taking a whole different route with this one, hopefully thinking forward, by getting a UAD Apollo interface.

If anything, I'm wondering if there's anything I need to look out for as far as this interface goes, when using it with Logic. Anything I should know?

jord
    Real guitar heroes play real guitars!!

Jordan%20L.%20Chilcott
    Famous Celebuskank Former African Dictator
    Join Date Nov 2011
    Location Charlotte, NC
    Posts 2,159
    Rep Power 536871050

Default Re: Any UAD/Logic gotchas I should look out for?

I haven't used one, but...lol.

I looked long and hard at them. Read everything I could find. I never ran across anything that said they were a problem. I didn't read of anyone having an issue with it.

In the end it just wasn't right for my situation at the time, but it's a slick piece of gear from what I can tell.

Hope that helps.

And I hope you don't find anything to the contrary after you've bought one, lol!
    Mike
    Little River Band on The Run Internet Meme
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,407
    Rep Power 536871253

You should know I wanted one.

Both because of the DSP and the converters/pres.

I took a different route, though. Mainly because I'm on Cubase. And mostly broke.

/P
    goes looking for thin ice to walk on little Lord Fauntleroy
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 73
    Rep Power 132

My brother uses an Apollo Twin with Logic X on a MBP. It works flawlessly. The Neve, Api, and UA 610 preamp emulations are spectacular if you want some flavor instead of the ultra clean built in pre. It's quite astonishing to be able to track using, for example, the 1073 in the pre-amp slot followed by one of their new 1176 or La2a emulations and the Studer tape emu. He replaced an entire stack of gear with just that thing which plugs in with a tiny thunderbolt cable and his recordings are just as good or better. Perfect for a home studio if you want to get rid of a lot of cables and bulky boxes.
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 1,630
    Rep Power 536871092

Sushi Re: Any UAD/Logic gotchas I should look out for?

Cool... this is all good to know. I was looking at all of the reviews on the Apollo and there were way too many good ones to read. So, that is hopefully a good sign.

Admittedly, I'm rather nervous about changing everything over, but I'm also excited as well.

Unfortunately, I'm stepping away from my PCIe based setup since the Apollo I got is a Firewire 800 unit. Fortunately, this is the only device on the FW bus, so I'm good with it for now. However, I am totally stoked that this particular one that I bought came with the Thunderbolt option card. I'm going to be using that with my laptop more often than not. That was like a Christmas present to me right there.

However, now comes the fun of rewiring everything. I think that's the part I dread most, so I better just grit my teeth and get 'er done.

jord

Jordan%20L.%20Chilcott
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 14,275
    Rep Power 536871515

FWIW, MOTU has now also introduced thunderbolt-compatible interfaces at a competitive price point.

And, as an aside and not directed specifically at the UAD or any other units, I think it would be wise to look at audio quality first and foremost, regardless of the bells and whistles.

otek
    "Tube color is not the 'thing'. Why would the most linear amplifying device have a color?" - Jonte Knif
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 1,630
    Rep Power 536871092

I know that MOTU has a Thunderbolt interface. However, Thunderbolt was more of a "will get next year" thang for me, and MOTU's choices didn't seem to offer what I was really looking for these days. The fact that this came with it was more of a Christmas bonus. The main consideration point was either FireWire or PCIe, and I decided on the Apollo because I had to think of future considerations.

If anything, I got the Apollo because I needed an interface first. From everyone I have spoken to as well as as many reviews as I could digest, everyone speaks highly about the Apollo as an audio interface. And, considering the number of people that have been using UAD plug-ins from the get go who have always told me, "you have to try this", I found the choice of interface rather easy after a few weeks of research.

Yes, I'm nervous about jumping into a new interface. However, UAD has given me everything I needed right out of the box to get going, right down to the rack mount screws, and seem more willing to help me transition over. I can't say I ever felt that kind of love with MOTU. However, I'm not knocking MOTU as it was a good 10 year run with it.

jord

Jordan%20L.%20Chilcott
    Little River Band on The Run Internet Meme
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,407
    Rep Power 536871253

Dimension D, RE-201 and EMT140. Three reasons alone to get any UAD solution.

Plus 670, 1176, NEVE Eq and a lot, lot more.
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 1,630
    Rep Power 536871092

I finally got everything moved over and hooked up into the Apollo and just played some of UAD's tutorial and demo videos and I hear a HUGE difference in the audio quality.

I mean HUGE!

jord

Jordan%20L.%20Chilcott
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 1,630
    Rep Power 536871092

Did some more sound tests and I'm liking what I'm hearing. There's definitely better clarity. I also plugged in my headphones into the Apollo's headphone output and my headphones never sounded so good and clear. Looks like I'll be ditching my old headphone amp as well. Only way I can describe things now is that it feels like the sound is dancing around my ears.

Mind you, I'm definitely going to have to make some mix adjustments, now that it seems that I am hearing everything. I thought my old MOTU sounded good, but this thing sounds bloody awesome.

jord

Jordan%20L.%20Chilcott
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 14,275
    Rep Power 536871515

Just to be crystal clear, I was NOT dissing the Apollo by any means.

It's just that when I've heard people talk about it, the discussion always turns to "but it comes with this or that plugin, and you can use them in real time!" rather than how the unit actually SOUNDS.

This is obviously not to say it cannot sound great, too.

My experience with UAD has been a bit sketchy in the past. I don't particularly care for the 610 preamp, for example. I haven't tried the current 1176s, but I love the old ones. And so on.

I also made the assumption that any interface upgrade today, especially for Mac, would have to take connectivity into consideration. There ARE no card slots anymore, and I doubt they're coming back. Firewire is probably on its way out, as is USB2.

otek
    "Tube color is not the 'thing'. Why would the most linear amplifying device have a color?" - Jonte Knif
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Songwriter Gulch
    Posts 10,140
    Rep Power 536871378

... I don't particularly care for the 610 preamp, for example.
    You and the three people I know who worked at United Western back when they had those consoles!
    Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Georgetown Masters 615 254-3233
    Interview
    Artists are the gatekeepers of truth!- Paul Robeson
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 73
    Rep Power 132

I fell in love with the 610-B when they first came out with it. I don't use it much any more. It's great when you need to bring some life to a dead track if you use it during mixing. I think it works way better when you use it for tracking with the Apollo. I'm not sure how it works, but it kind of takes over and applies it's own impedance curves and such. There are a few plugins on the UAD that have made my life a lot easier. The new 1073, Ocean ways, the new 1176 , la2a, and Fairchild and Pultec collections. The API collection and the new Thermionic Culture Vulture are also very good and used on every single mix. Oh, and the Fatsos! And SSL Channel Strip.
    Out of these I own hardware versions of three. The blackface 1176 LN sounds pretty much the same as the one in my 6176. The Fatso sounds very similar. The plugin can easily replace the HW unit in a mix. It does the same softening thing. I also own two Vintech 73X ( not real Neves, I know, but bear with me.) I often use them on the drum bus, you know lo cut 50, 2 dB boost at 60, 2dB cut at 360, and 2 dB treble boost for example. Something along those lines. I often take mixes home with me and work on my laptop, so I tried replacing the Vintechs with the new UA 1073. It was frighteningly similar sounding at the exact same settings. All other 1073 plugs fall apart doing this, and I've tried them all. Bottom goes out of phase, mid gets thin and treble shrill. This one's like buttah! It's the first plugin in 18 years of DAW use that I've felt comfortable boosting treble with. I kid you not. Of course, some of these plugs eat 50-70% of one chip so it's kind of a pain in the ass, but somehow I like it. Lots of bouncing, freezing and planning these days. Kind of like the old days when you could get like 3 Fat Eqs and 4 compressors and a platinum verb out of logic 4 on a G3. If you used Goldverb you might have been able to throw in a couple of tape delays for good measure.
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 1,630
    Rep Power 536871092

Actually, I haven't even started using any of their plug-ins yet. I was just listening and taking it all in. Like you, I have to hear what it sounded like as an interface first, because that is what I will be using it as. So far, my ears like what they hear. As I said, I feel like I am hearing more of the music and I'm still sort of getting used to that, having been accustomed to how the MOTU sounded both in and out of Logic.

That having been said, I'm not going to dismiss the plug-ins when it becomes time to use them. I may one day get the Studer/Ampex plug-in bundle, but I'm not suffering without it. Not to mention that I will be trying out recording with the plug-ins that they nicely provided with the Apollo. If anything, I have been leaning back in that type of direction before getting the Apollo. I more or less like picking an amp emu on my POD and running with it without turning back. It feels more gratifying to me to lay it down the way I want to hear and feel it, rather than record things totally dry and sterile and throw a thousand plug-ins at it after the fact to get it the way i wanted it in the first place. If anything, I'm rather glad for having those options and the freedom to do it, or not do it.

I doubt PCIe will be coming back to Macs, considering that Thunderbolt is essentially PCIe on a wire. Even though FireWire may be on the way out (I won't even talk about USB2, or any USB protocol in the music sense), my current Mac Pro has only that while my laptop has both FireWire and Thunderbolt and the fact that I only need one interface to go between past and future is really more than I could have asked for.

jord

Jordan%20L.%20Chilcott
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,775
    Rep Power 536871397

and used on every single mix.
    WTF? Used on every single mix?

RU SIRIUS?

No matter what it is, a tool should only be used when appropriate, not "on every single mix."

Unless that tool is a recording medium, of course.
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Garden variety weasel...has ripped flesh. Studied for urine test
    Join Date Jan 2009
    Location Denver, CO, USA
    Posts 529
    Rep Power 536871031

RU SIRIUS?

No matter what it is, a tool should only be used when appropriate, not "on every single mix."

Who's to say that "every single mix" isn't appropriate?

Are you drunk posting again?
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 1,630
    Rep Power 536871092

What if you wanted to treat an album project as if it were going through that equipment, such as a 610 to a Studer, mixed to an Ampex, for the sake of coherency?

Or something like that?

jord

Jordan%20L.%20Chilcott
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 73
    Rep Power 132

RU SIRIUS?

Well, you have your methods and I have mine ok? Since you don't know how I'm using these tools, how can you know if they way I'm using them is appropriate or not?
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,775
    Rep Power 536871397

Who's to say that "every single mix" isn't appropriate?

Are you drunk posting again?
    No.

I'm merely questioning the matter of doing the same thing on "every single mix" by rote. One may have favored techniques/devices/whatever that one favors for most mixes or tends to use much of the time, but "every single mix" to me reflects not thinking about each mix individually and simply resorting to habit, which I submit is not a good thing.

Unless you're talking about things like recording medium or perhaps preamp selection (which traditionally would be a matter of what console is in the studio one works out of.)

Other than that one should keep the brain engaged and, while one will tend to have favorites, one should keep an open mind and serve the needs of the session.

Yes?

EDIT: Looking back to the post I was replying to, I don't see the words "every single mix" there anymore. So the criticism is probably moot.

FWIW, although I do very, very little in the digital realm I DO own a UAD card (not an Apollo at present, but if I ever get around to upgrading my converters I'd certainly consider one) and I do rather like pretty much all their stuff I've tried.
    Last edited by John Eppstein; September 21st, 2014 at 08:39 PM.
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    goes looking for thin ice to walk on Not as sentimental as those other silly valentines.
    Join Date Feb 2007
    Location San Francisco
    Posts 79
    Rep Power 402653364

Hi Jord,

I currently use an Apollo Quad with Logic X and am very happy with it. Setup and software were without issue, and I find their attention to intuitive user experience and driver quality control commendable. One small exception is demoing plugins. IIRC, you need to locally "start the demo" on your machine, then download the authorizations from their site. It's just a little kludgy.

As far as sound, my previous converter was an Ensemble. Non-scientifically speaking (no a/b or null tests), the Ensemble felt like it had some largess on the bottom end while the UA seems more linear. I've tracked and mixed a few projects on the Apollo and have been pleased. The Apollo drivers are stable through all sample rates and behave as one would want.

Preamps - I haven't tested the emulations. I use outboard preamps and can't imagine not doing so. I haven't heard a preamp which was integrated into the converter that I liked, but again, ymmv.

Regarding workflow, I do like to track through certain plugins for some projects and really appreciate that ability, though it's completely subjective to one's process. The virtual mixer is very intuitive, though you can create a loop when clicking on certain settings. This may related to the way I have it configured with a summing bus.

UA have been exemplary with their support and guidance.

Ping me with any questions you may have.

Best,

Haroun