Thread: Any UAD/Logic gotchas I should look out for?

Garden variety weasel...has ripped flesh. Studied for urine test
    Join Date Jan 2009
    Location Denver, CO, USA
    Posts 529
    Rep Power 536871030

Default Re: Any UAD/Logic gotchas I should look out for?

No.

I'm merely questioning the matter of doing the same thing on "every single mix" by rote. One may have favored techniques/devices/whatever that one favors for most mixes or tends to use much of the time, but "every single mix" to me reflects not thinking about each mix individually and simply resorting to habit, which I submit is not a good thing.

Unless you're talking about things like recording medium or perhaps preamp selection (which traditionally would be a matter of what console is in the studio one works out of.)

Other than that one should keep the brain engaged and, while one will tend to have favorites, one should keep an open mind and serve the needs of the session.

Yes?
    Well yeah, of course one shouldn't apply processing as a matter of habit, but I do find that certain tools do find their way on to pretty much every single mix. I'd be hard pressed to find a mix of mine that didn't have at least one instance of EQ on it. So this guy has these plugs and some of the plugs find their way on to all his mixes, doesn't sound outrageous to me.

I recall reading a post from Mixerman where he said that his SSL G384 has been on pretty much every single mix he's done in 20 years. I'd bet that at least one of the EQ's on your board finds its way on to damn near every single mix that you do, yes?
    Bovine Scatologist Loves British 'Cuisine'
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location In my happy place!
    Posts 1,630
    Rep Power 536871091

Sushi Re: Any UAD/Logic gotchas I should look out for?

I'm merely questioning the matter of doing the same thing on "every single mix" by rote. One may have favored techniques/devices/whatever that one favors for most mixes or tends to use much of the time, but "every single mix" to me reflects not thinking about each mix individually and simply resorting to habit, which I submit is not a good thing.
    I'm wondering if you may fixating more on every single channel rather than every single mix?

Certainly, I'd be foolish to throw everything on every channel. However, there may be things that would want to use to maintain a certain constant.

I know we're in a digital world these days and in the box there are plenty of choices. However, I sometimes believe that to be the root of some of our mixing problem. Some days I like to say "screw it" and set certain limitations, including which plug-ins I can use for a project. Sometimes, it forces me to be a little more creative.

I currently use an Apollo Quad with Logic X and am very happy with it. Setup and software were without issue, and I find their attention to intuitive user experience and driver quality control commendable. One small exception is demoing plugins. IIRC, you need to locally "start the demo" on your machine, then download the authorizations from their site. It's just a little kludgy.

As far as sound, my previous converter was an Ensemble. Non-scientifically speaking (no a/b or null tests), the Ensemble felt like it had some largess on the bottom end while the UA seems more linear. I've tracked and mixed a few projects on the Apollo and have been pleased. The Apollo drivers are stable through all sample rates and behave as one would want.
    I'm got the quad as well and I real love what I'm hearing so far. Like I said, compared to my MOTU, I feel like I'm hearing more of the music. I can't wait to start tracking and mixing through it.

Their auth route doesn't feel that kludgy to me. In fact, I was pleasantly surprised that when I went to go auth the unit, it managed to grab and send all the details. It was really one of the most painless processes I have used. As for the plug-ins, making it so that all you need to do is 2x click the auth file, worked painless for me as well.

UAD definitely pays better attention to their drivers as well. It knows very well when I turn on the Apollo and gets right to work with it.

If anything, I may have to get a bit used to another console app when working with Logic. However, I do love the fact that I can save and recall my own user configurations and from what I've read so far, it seems to integrated itself with Logic.

Only thing I haven't yet set was the recording delay for the interface in Logic's audio prefs, and I was wondering if should try to do that as a loop within the console app or physically loopback a connection between the a line out and line in on the Apollo.

jord
    Last edited by jord; September 22nd, 2014 at 12:29 AM.
    Real guitar heroes play real guitars!!

Jordan%20L.%20Chilcott
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 1,630
    Rep Power 536871091

Decided to use a loopback for the recording delay, seeing as I am still new at figuring out the ins and outs of the console and the loopback method was faster for me to set up.

Discovered that the Apollo only has a 6 sample delay, which was far better than my MOTU device, which was 63 samples.

Set the Recording Delay in Logic and now everything is now in sync. This thing is ready for some action.

jord

Jordan%20L.%20Chilcott
    goes looking for thin ice to walk on little Lord Fauntleroy
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 73
    Rep Power 131

I'm confused.. What's wrong with using the tools you have at your disposal on pretty much every mix? A lot of the stuff I mix is pretty complex so some of these plugs have a way of finding a spot. Besides, you can get a lot of different sounds out of them.

Of course, I were lucky enough to only receive meticulously engineered recordings from great studios it probably wouldn't be necessary. Sadly, that's not always the case.

Sometimes, the stuff I get is so badly recorded that I pretty much have to go in the backdoor using Zynaptics Unfilter and/or Unveil and carve the actual sound out of all the horrible room sounds. Then I pretty much have re-engineer it using the Neve, Studer and Ocean Way studios plugs. Or something else. YMMV.
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,766
    Rep Power 536871396

I'm wondering if you may fixating more on every single channel rather than every single mix?
    Yeah, I think that's it. There are some things, mostly buss processing, that do go on every single mix and no, I wasn't thinking of that, I was thinking of channels. Like I only use channel EQ if there seems to be something lacking or needing correction on the sound captured going in, and usually not a whole lot of it.
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 14,273
    Rep Power 536871514

I have an EQ that I use in every mix I do - I only use one EQ, period.

And when I say I use it "in every mix", I don't feel compelled to add "as needed" - that is obviously tacitly implied.

Just saying.

otek
    "Tube color is not the 'thing'. Why would the most linear amplifying device have a color?" - Jonte Knif
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,766
    Rep Power 536871396

I have an EQ that I use in every mix I do - I only use one EQ, period.
    Heh..... yeah, aside from the passives on the 2-buss I only use one EQ - the one in my console.

And when I say I use it "in every mix", I don't feel compelled to add "as needed" - that is obviously tacitly implied.

Just saying.
    I'm probably too used to talking to the kind of bedroom engineers who think they need to pile stuff on every channel "because that's the way it's done" or whatever.
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 1,630
    Rep Power 536871091

I'm probably too used to talking to the kind of bedroom engineers who think they need to pile stuff on every channel "because that's the way it's done" or whatever.
    Or they just finished watching Mix it Like a Record.

jord

Jordan%20L.%20Chilcott