Thread: Line Arrays Preferences: Fall 2014

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location In a Mobile...backstage...all by myself...
    Posts 1,861
    Rep Power 536871103

Default Line Arrays Preferences: Fall 2014

This is a question that keeps going around and around, but I'm revisiting it since I've recently had the opportunity to put up a few of the different flavours.

Which ones are your current favs to work with? Not only for audio quality (although that is the ultimate performance goal) but also for getting it in the air and moving it.

I recently got a chance to help hang a dvDOSC system. I've put up Meyer and EV systems, but this was my first time with the LA Acoustics rig.

I loved the case design and how easy it was to get multiple boxes together. In fact, I realized afterwards when someone mentioned "aren't they heavy" I realized I didn't know...there was no need to lift a box at all because of the way everything went together. So the case design wins for me...very time efficient. A pic of the rig on the ground is attached. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1528.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	12705

The PITA was the fact the hardware is fully separate from the boxes...so your shop has to be on the ball to make sure you have enough pins and the right amount of angle bars. We didn't, which caused some grief.

Sound wise...its a very nice sounding system. Once everything was powered, it automatically sounded pretty good. The FOH mixer didn't have to spend a huge amount of time getting them to sound right in the room.

Coverage was also pretty impressive. With a 110 degree spread, it didn't take much to fill the room in a very consistant manner.

So what systems do you guys see often? What do you like/dislike about the way they go up, come down, and sound?
    Follow Click Track Audio on Twitter

Check out Click Track Audio on Facebook
    goes looking for thin ice to walk on Not as sentimental as those other silly valentines.
    Join Date Jan 2010
    Location Norway
    Posts 83
    Rep Power 132120723

Default Re: Line Arrays Preferences: Fall 2014

We have a meyer sound lyon system. Lyon and its big brother Leo is so easy to rig its ridiculous.
    What impresses me most is the linarity, it sounds the same all the way from super soft to super loud - I remember the first time i played some music on it this summer and I didnīt realize how stupid loud it was untill I tried to talk to my colleage. Thereīs no disortion, so you donīt get that harsh "loud" - feeling.
    Also they have a lot of low end, so you get lots of nice midbass from the main arrays and can use the subs for only the lowest octave and set the crossover at around 60

The horizontal coverage is very consistent across the whole frequency range and the long throw is incredible. Love it. Too bad the big gigs are so far inbetween.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Birmingham, UK
    Posts 1,583
    Rep Power 536871093

Most of our gigs are dV. Except we have the transporters made by ALC Belgium. If you thought the cases made for fast rigging, you'd love these. dV just sounds good and we have our shit together so it's never any fuss. We do want to upgrade to KARA though to save some truck weight.
    I'm probably talking shit.

"Mixing most 'heavy' records is like trying to find order and lucidity in a recording of a Cathedral Pipe Organ, all stops out, randomly veering between Handel's Messiah, Ginestera's 2nd and a coupla Bach Fugues, in a Titanium kitchenware foundry, while a gaggle of enraged PCP snorting gorillas with bullhorns conduct a demolition derby with cement mixers against the soothing cacophony of a nearby landslide/tsunami/heavy artillery exchange."- Slipperman
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Bexley, OH
    Posts 2,346
    Rep Power 536871119

dvDOSC is still great all around. I love rigs that are smartly designed to hang and move. I work with EV X-array a lot because a local rental house has them and they sound fine, but have a finger pinchy awkward hanging system. D&B is unsurprisingly a favorite of mine for concert stuffs, and Meyer still rules the theatre world. The new Martic cellular array system came through recently and sure sounded good. It's always more difficult to tell on a show touring through where you never get to hear your music through it. Clearly the Martin is very good stuff. I'm skipping the names of other totally adequate systems that didn't grab me quite as strongly. (Adamson, Nexxo, etc. - totally fine, but the others had something going on I liked better). Heck, as old school as it is I've worked some very good shows done on Vertec rigs even though you aren't likely to see as much of them anymore.
    Frustrated Chick Rock singer...now doing jazz standards poorly! Drummer with a girlfriend...has home!
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Rochester, NY
    Posts 473
    Rep Power 536871056

dv's are great if you like a nail pounded into your forehead and feel like having two different types of "subs" to cover the bottom end.

Kill me now.
    Frustrated Chick Rock singer...now doing jazz standards poorly! Drummer with a girlfriend...has home!
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Rochester, NY
    Posts 473
    Rep Power 536871056

Although to be fair, since i ain't been here in awhile, and I've got a fucking picture of Flashlights as my profile picture (speaking of weird bottom end sheeeeeeeit), I do admit I like dv-Dosc more than.....this new forum software running here.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Birmingham, UK
    Posts 1,583
    Rep Power 536871093

Sounds like you've only used them with XTA presets and/or the 'HI' presets loaded. They sound pretty nice with PLMs and the LO presets. Also you can easily get away without the dV-SUBs and just use it with SB218s. I've done more jobs that way than not.

"Mixing most 'heavy' records is like trying to find order and lucidity in a recording of a Cathedral Pipe Organ, all stops out, randomly veering between Handel's Messiah, Ginestera's 2nd and a coupla Bach Fugues, in a Titanium kitchenware foundry, while a gaggle of enraged PCP snorting gorillas with bullhorns conduct a demolition derby with cement mixers against the soothing cacophony of a nearby landslide/tsunami/heavy artillery exchange."- Slipperman
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Rochester, NY
    Posts 473
    Rep Power 536871056

XTA it was.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Birmingham, UK
    Posts 1,583
    Rep Power 536871093

That explains it then. All the XTA presets for L Acoustics gear appear to be utter shit for some reason. ARCS sound horrific on XTAs.

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Bexley, OH
    Posts 2,346
    Rep Power 536871119

Just did a gig with L'acoustics K2s. Sounded great, and really got my attention. Show was nicely mixed too, so that helped.