Thread: Yosemite Released

Famous Celebuskank Former African Dictator
    Join Date Nov 2011
    Location Charlotte, NC
    Posts 2,159
    Rep Power 536871048

Default Re: Yosemite Released

Considering this is a Logic forum, Avid is not a real issue here, unless of course you're using their CoreAudio drivers.

Only quirk I've seen in Logic so far are some AU's are reverting back to default states (particularly NI's plug-ins). Mind you, when I save them as presets, they seem to stick.

Found a bit of resistance with my UAD Apollo tonight, but it may be more of a cache cleaning issue.

And the graphics issues seem to extend a lot further than UAD stuff. I'm seeing it in Safari and even in Logic itself.

jord
    Oooo, I'm glad I read this! I've got a movie I'm scoring with a butt load of NI stuff!
    Mike
    Bovine Scatologist Loves British 'Cuisine'
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location In my happy place!
    Posts 1,630
    Rep Power 536871090

Well, I may have more to add to the Yosemite NI saga. I discovered for some reason that NI's Transient Master is causing problems in Yosemite where it was crashing Logic upon close. This also may have been a catalyst in my sessions involving UAD plug-ins because it seems when I replaced Transient Master with FXPansion's Envelope Shaper, I so far haven't seen any -38 & -91 errors with UAD.

Funny though that Logic didn't crash in Mavericks with Transient Master, but the one session that I had on gave a ton of those errors, effectively shutting down the Apollo's operation. This may possibly be a positive outcome as far as upgrading to Yosemite goes.

Fortunately, I have some crash logs that I can send to NI as proof.

jord
    Real guitar heroes play real guitars!!

Jordan%20L.%20Chilcott
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location nc
    Posts 1,502
    Rep Power 536871082

Actually, the Yosemite update was quite the debacle for lots of people. The only version of Pro Tools that is qualified by Avid to work on Yosemite is 11.3, which just got released a week or two ago. There were plenty of horror stories for PT10 users who leisurely hit the "update" button in Software Update, only to find that they were dead in the water (and many foolishly didn't do an image backup to revert to before updating). I believe Avid is recommended a clean OS install vs. updating on top of whatever you have now.

Yosemite appears to be quite an overhaul and won't play with older drivers and software as well as other OSX updates in recent years. If you aren't on Pro Tools 11 yet, don't even think about it. Check with the manufacturers of all hardware you have to make sure there are updated drivers and official support.
    Thanks for that heads up. I guess I'll continue to stay where I am.
    I'm a fan of cheese!
    Famous Celebuskank Former African Dictator
    Join Date Nov 2011
    Location Charlotte, NC
    Posts 2,159
    Rep Power 536871048

Well, I may have more to add to the Yosemite NI saga. I discovered for some reason that NI's Transient Master is causing problems in Yosemite where it was crashing Logic upon close. This also may have been a catalyst in my sessions involving UAD plug-ins because it seems when I replaced Transient Master with FXPansion's Envelope Shaper, I so far haven't seen any -38 & -91 errors with UAD.

Funny though that Logic didn't crash in Mavericks with Transient Master, but the one session that I had on gave a ton of those errors, effectively shutting down the Apollo's operation. This may possibly be a positive outcome as far as upgrading to Yosemite goes.

Fortunately, I have some crash logs that I can send to NI as proof.

jord
    I'll have to keep an eye out for updates and see if one comes out that mentions retaining settings after upgrading from Mavericks to Yosemite.

What's a -38 or -91 error?
    Mike
    Bovine Scatologist Loves British 'Cuisine'
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location In my happy place!
    Posts 1,630
    Rep Power 536871090

I'm not sure what those errors imply on UAD, but it's enough to shut off all communications with their DSP.

I'm going to be notifying both NI and UA of this, complete with my crash logs.

jord
    Real guitar heroes play real guitars!!

Jordan%20L.%20Chilcott
    In a world of ones and zeros...this one's the latter. Breast reduction surgery candidate
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Posts 567
    Rep Power 536871022

I only use the mac mini for hitting the forum ebay and writing and not for audio. other there a quick listen to something.
    But I think I will hold off any way.

So basically ( if I understand correctly ), I am going to have to get a I tunes account for future upgrades?
    BLAST PAD Inventor just one invention among others.
    A CHARTER MEMBER OF THE 500 FORMAT, MAFIA
    it is easy to sound as though one was endowed with great intelligence, whilst speaking amongst a crowd of total morons
    Pan60 Facebook
    Pan Panhead Facebook
    www.pan60.com
    Little River Band on The Run Internet Meme
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,407
    Rep Power 536871251

I am going to have to get a I tunes account for future upgrades?
    Yes.