Thread: Logic 9 Bug?

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 14,273
    Rep Power 536871514

Default Logic 9 Bug?

I have never had this happen before, so I thought I'd ask.

I was working on a session yesterday (in Logic 9.1.8), where I had multiple takes of the song in folders, stacked vertically in the project.

I added some processing to the bass guitar, and automated a couple of parameters.

Then I decided to remove the other folders, because we had decided on a version of the song. I highlight them, and hit backspace.

This promptly removed all automation on my bass track.

I undid it, and made sure I had un-highlighted the automation, and checked the "ask first" alternative for removal of automation data.

The same thing happened again.

I froze the bass track, and repeated the process. All my automation vanished once more, without warning.

I have now resigned to keep the folders in there until I have exported the tracks to a new session.

Anyone encountered this phenomenon before?

otek
    "Tube color is not the 'thing'. Why would the most linear amplifying device have a color?" - Jonte Knif
    Famous Celebuskank Former African Dictator
    Join Date Nov 2011
    Location Charlotte, NC
    Posts 2,159
    Rep Power 536871049

Default Re: Logic 9 Bug?

These other folders, they are bass takes as well?

Do they share the same Audio Channel? So instead of new different Audio Channels, it's the same one created over again?

If you hit cntl-shift-return you'll get a NEW Audio Channel.

If you hit cntl-return, you get the same channel right below it.

Do you understand what I mean?

Anyway, I'm thinking if they're all the same Audio Channel, that might be your issue? Not that it should do that, but may be the reason why.
    Mike
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 14,273
    Rep Power 536871514

Do you understand what I mean?
    I did. The first time. (are you Jimmy Two Times from Goodfellas?)

Anyway, I'm thinking if they're all the same Audio Channel, that might be your issue? Not that it should do that, but may be the reason why.
    I'm thinking it's the only possible explanation. For some reason, Logic had reset my "ask" preferences - although I went in and checked them first.

I did a full checkup, including a maintenance cycle and a parameter zap, and now things seem to be working again.

otek
    "Tube color is not the 'thing'. Why would the most linear amplifying device have a color?" - Jonte Knif
    Join Date Nov 2011
    Location Charlotte, NC
    Posts 2,159
    Rep Power 536871049

I did. The first time. (are you Jimmy Two Times from Goodfellas?)

I'm thinking it's the only possible explanation. For some reason, Logic had reset my "ask" preferences - although I went in and checked them first.

I did a full checkup, including a maintenance cycle and a parameter zap, and now things seem to be working again.

otek
    LOL, I'm sorry. This stuff can be confusing and I wanted to make sure I was explaining what I was talking about!

Ok, cool. I'm glad things are working.

Today, I had couple of take folders (close mic, and room) and exported the current takes to new tracks. There was a bit of junk at the start and I deleted it. Well I'm not sure what was what, but it deleted all the audio on the tracks and the Take folders above it!

I hit undo and the whole thing crashed to the desktop.

Reopened and I was back at having to do a slight edit in the take folders and re-export. Things were ok, but I was not happy.

This was in Logic X.
    Mike
    Bovine Scatologist Loves British 'Cuisine'
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location In my happy place!
    Posts 1,630
    Rep Power 536871091

Damn! The only thing that I have encountered recently is Logic X changing my output channels on a few tracks from Bus 3 to Bus 4, and I know I didn't do that... or at least I believe I didn't.

If anything, all of my take folders were intact.

Mind you, maybe I've been avoiding some calamities because of the massive clean-up that I have been doing on my Mac, cleaning up old Audio Units and Fonts and crap like that. If anything, I was doing it more because of the UAD -38 & -50 errors that I sometimes encounter (it's helping).

jord
    Real guitar heroes play real guitars!!

Jordan%20L.%20Chilcott
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 14,273
    Rep Power 536871514

LOL, I'm sorry. This stuff can be confusing and I wanted to make sure I was explaining what I was talking about!
    I was giving you a hard time about the double post I deleted.

otek
    Join Date Nov 2011
    Location Charlotte, NC
    Posts 2,159
    Rep Power 536871049

I was giving you a hard time about the double post I deleted.

otek
    Oh really?! Haha! I had no idea!

So nice, you say it twice!
    Mike