Thread: Pomplamoose touring

Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Dated Paris Hilton before she was a tramp!
    Join Date Nov 2010
    Posts 26
    Rep Power 11522274

Default Re: Pomplamoose touring

Yea nitpicked. I didn't attack anybody. I only pointed out a couple of anomalies in his blog.

I stand by my ego statement. I know many touring bands. From regional to national acts. I can guarantee you they aren't stepping out of their door only to go in the hole. There's plenty of information and people with decades of experience out there to not have to take such a risk.

Again, all of those youtoob watching techies didn't come out to watch them. That what I was addressing.

Nowhere does it say the tour suffered from low ticket sales. Anyway, a tour would be budgeted based on guarantees, not bonuses.
    Silly Rabbit Underwater ceramic engineer
    Join Date Feb 2009
    Posts 125
    Rep Power 91404772

Nowhere does it say the tour suffered from low ticket sales. Anyway, a tour would be budgeted based on guarantees, not bonuses.
    Agreed. I guess we would really need to know the particulars of their booking contracts to know if there were any guarantees by the promoters/venues. In my opinion, I don't see them getting too much of a guarantee not having any tour draw history.
    The fact that no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist.
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,749
    Rep Power 536871394

Dunno, let me be the devil's advocate here for a minute.
    First question: Is group of people who keep their online audience entertained with highly arranged and extravagantly produced music videos necessarily a real world mid level touring band? OK, the Fillmore was kinda packed (not sold out, though), how about the other shows?
    Second question: If the tour is side business or even potential loss leader, does it make Pomplamoose a good example for expenses and accounting on the road?

You're right.
    Sadly it looks a bit like the right information from the wrong people.
    Youtube hits not necessarily equal street cred, and as much as I think their numbers are not way off, and their planning was not too optimistic,, I think they did their cause a disservice.

All the best,
    the keks
    Ah, but we're told by all the "experts" on "the new paradigm" that Yootoob hits DO equal street cred and that the way we can make up for their stealing our work and using it without compensation is that we can all go on tour!

Pomplamoose have been the poster boy for that line of bullshit for the past several years, so I think that Conte coming out and laying the truth on the line is very significant - it pretty much puts the lie to all the nonsense the "new experts" have been trying to feed us.

There is no "new paradigm".

It costs a crapload of money to tour unless you're going to do it on a starvation level "punk-band-inna-van" kind of way. Touring, for most entry level to mid-level acts always used to be subsidized by record companies. Without those subsidies, touring is a losing proposition for most acts.

I wonder how many Yootoob hits it will take to make up for their tour losses?
    Last edited by John Eppstein; November 29th, 2014 at 09:35 PM.
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Join Date Feb 2009
    Posts 125
    Rep Power 91404772

Ah, but we're told by all the "experts" on "the new paradigm" that Yootoob hits DO equal street cred and that the way we can make up for their stealing our work and using it without compensation is that we can all go on tour!

Pomplamoose have been the poster boy for that line of bullshit for the past several years, so I think that Conte coming out and laying the truth on the line is very significant - it pretty much puts the lie to all the nonsense the "new experts" have been trying to feed us.

There is no "new paradigm".

It costs a crapload of money to tour unless you're going to do it on a starvation level "punk-band-inna-van" kind of way. Touring, for most entry level to mid-level acts always used to be subsidized by record companies. Without those subsidies, touring is a losing proposition for most acts.

I wonder how many Yootoob hits it will take to make up for their tour losses?

I usually find that self procaimed "experts" are anything but.
    Join Date Sep 2012
    Posts 1
    Rep Power 57

Hey Bob - would you mind sharing your thoughts? I came here looking for your perspective since this debate seems to mesh perfectly with what you've said before re: tech / record sales / "creating" an act and expecting it to pay. etc etc.

cheers
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Bexley, OH
    Posts 2,346
    Rep Power 536871116

I see the internet is flipping out over this. Because that guy is the owner of a startup company out west he is viewed as one of those privileged kids. I don't know if he is. Maybe he's an asshole. I don't know. I really don't know much about their music.

Nonetheless, I found the information useful generally. It provided a fair look into what touring costs and the recoup might be. It's different for every band and it's always a crapshoot. Plenty of bands will do worse than this.

I don't expect that the original post of his was a detailed look into his wallet or that it matters because I think the numbers were still true and useful. I don't have an opinion about him or his band. I just thought it was neat as another current reference to what live touring might bring you monetarily or not. As every band will have a slightly different experience it's just neat info to have at hand. I'm not making any more out of it than that.

Two notes I didn't get to earlier. Does it matter if they did this as an ego indulging sort of thing? or if they did it for fun? Seems like those are two totally valid reasons for doing live shows of your own music in the first place.

Also, I don't expect managers to be booking agents necessarily. They will often be the ones to negotiate the terms of the shows for you, deal with merch and on site business, address all the travel and lodging, and other tech personnel and other business arrangements. You might have a press person working for you arranging interviews and such. Or it might be a single do it all manager who also runs FOH. I've seen it sliced and diced a lot of ways. I'm more used to small tours having the FOH person also be a technical director for the tour, but there might be a separate management company that handles business stuff and isn't out on the tour.
    Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Dated Paris Hilton before she was a tramp!
    Join Date Nov 2010
    Posts 26
    Rep Power 11522274

Also, I don't expect managers to be booking agents necessarily. They will often be the ones to negotiate the terms of the shows for you, deal with merch and on site business, address all the travel and lodging, and other tech personnel and other business arrangements. You might have a press person working for you arranging interviews and such. Or it might be a single do it all manager who also runs FOH. I've seen it sliced and diced a lot of ways. I'm more used to small tours having the FOH person also be a technical director for the tour, but there might be a separate management company that handles business stuff and isn't out on the tour.
    Don't confuse the tour manager with the manager. Different jobs.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Bexley, OH
    Posts 2,346
    Rep Power 536871116

I've just seen it done a bunch of different ways but that the booking might be done by a different person just like a bands professional manager might be different than a tour manager (who I've also seen called a TD to clarify that they just arrange technical things for the tour and aren't negotiating contracts). All versions of a management thing, but still a bit different from each other.
    Join Date Feb 2009
    Posts 125
    Rep Power 91404772

The blog named their booking agent. They have a few notable names on their roster, but I've never heard of the agency. They are going to be the ones that set the dates to make sure the band has plenty of travel time, make sure they don't encroach on radius clauses, etc.

As far as the tour manager, band manager, etc., as Pounce said, it can be done numerous ways. I only commented on them having a person who's only job was tour manager. It's kind of odd, and a pretty big use of funds for a band at this level.

Hopefully, that tour was a learning experience for them.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Bexley, OH
    Posts 2,346
    Rep Power 536871116

http://www.artistempathy.com/blog/th...ts-and-martyrs

A consideration of the whole response that I agree with fully
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,749
    Rep Power 536871394

http://www.artistempathy.com/blog/th...ts-and-martyrs

A consideration of the whole response that I agree with fully
    Me, too! Thanks.
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????