Thread: dynamics on guitar cabinets

Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Bexley, OH
    Posts 2,346
    Rep Power 536871118

Default dynamics on guitar cabinets

http://recordinghacks.com/2014/12/12...ar-cab-corral/

While this shootout may have focused on recording, looking at options for dynamics on cabinets is always useful. Also, interesting that they strongly advocated for a center of the cone and right by the grill placement. The idea of placing it a little off axis and a little farther away is tossed around like gospel, so I'm used to seeing that. I was also likely to get some of those fathead mics with the lundahl transformers in them to keep in my work inventory (unless I can get them to go for the Royers which I quite like) as more cabinet mic options although thats no longer talking about dynamic mics. I had a good go with those Heil mics too, btw.
    Has Many Personal Intergritys Expensive Boat Anchor
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,663
    Rep Power 536871395

Default Re: dynamics on guitar cabinets

http://recordinghacks.com/2014/12/12...ar-cab-corral/

While this shootout may have focused on recording, looking at options for dynamics on cabinets is always useful. Also, interesting that they strongly advocated for a center of the cone and right by the grill placement. The idea of placing it a little off axis and a little farther away is tossed around like gospel, so I'm used to seeing that. I was also likely to get some of those fathead mics with the lundahl transformers in them to keep in my work inventory (unless I can get them to go for the Royers which I quite like) as more cabinet mic options although thats no longer talking about dynamic mics. I had a good go with those Heil mics too, btw.
    a ribbon mic IS a 'dynamic' mic, just like a moving-coil mic is.
    they're just two different types of dynamic microphones.

I more often than not mic the centre of the cone, and right up on the grill, FWIW. at least as a starting point.
    (though almost never with a moving coil, and only a minority percentage of the time with a ribbon... mostly, as often stated, I like condensers)
    Has Many Personal Intergritys Expensive Boat Anchor
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,663
    Rep Power 536871395

as an aside:

I'm getting sick to death of every HINT or tip being called a "hack" now

hipster speak
    doesn't play the sax gets a contact high from patchouli oil
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 164
    Rep Power 268435631

How do ya get a guitar player to turn down?

Put a sheet of music in front of him
    Former burger flipper turned Alshi expert Granfaloon
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Big rock candy mountains.
    Posts 1,074
    Rep Power 536871075

as an aside:

hipster speak
    I thought it was just me...

With you on the ribbon/dynamic divide as well. Sets my teeth on edge every time.
    I would go so far as to say that pop art is the ultimate reflection of society.

Donít think about that too much. Itís too painful.

-Mixerman
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Bexley, OH
    Posts 2,346
    Rep Power 536871118

While I'm well aware that ribbon mics are dynamic, I made mention of them particularly as they weren't included in the original shootout. Sometimes a royer on a cabinet is a great combo.
    Join Date Apr 2010
    Location Second largest French City
    Posts 1,267
    Rep Power 536871040

How do ya get a guitar player to turn down?

Put a sheet of music in front of him
    Did you hear about the saxman who bragged he could play 32nd notes?
    The rest of the band didn't believe him, so he proved it by playing one.
    The emotionally and tonally deaf cannot hear the important things and never will. They will scream to the heavens the rest of us are wrong and produce useless papers to prove their point.
    Anybody claiming to be the first probably wasn't!
    www.timvandeven.com
    Join Date Apr 2010
    Location Second largest French City
    Posts 1,267
    Rep Power 536871040

as an aside:

hipster speak
    I'm with you on this; a "hack" should be that awful player you never want ot be in a band with, not a helpful hint.
    The emotionally and tonally deaf cannot hear the important things and never will. They will scream to the heavens the rest of us are wrong and produce useless papers to prove their point.
    Anybody claiming to be the first probably wasn't!
    www.timvandeven.com
    Voice like Marcel Marceau Waiting for his millions from Nigeria
    Join Date Nov 2011
    Location Midlands UK
    Posts 255
    Rep Power 536870986

I'm with you on this; a "hack" should be that awful player you never want ot be in a band with, not a helpful hint.
    My unofficial definition is 'a hint given by an idiot to other idiots.'

As for mic placement on guitar, it surely just depends. I don't buy that bit about a mic on the centre of the cone allowing the playback speaker to 'become' the guitar speaker, that's all a bit voodoo sounding to me. It's just the brightest punchiest spot with probably the most phase coherence at the mic over the whole area of the speaker cone. I usually start there but the only time I've stayed there is when the guitarist has a warm tone that needed all the high end I could get.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Birmingham, UK
    Posts 1,583
    Rep Power 536871092

I 'discovered' that dead centre gave a less comb filtery sound for myself years ago. It's rare that I venture away from that now, I'd rather EQ anything I need to afterwards than fight against comb filtering in mix. Unless the record needs that sound, but I'd say it's a rare occurrence that something sounds better WITH comb filtering.
    I'm probably talking shit.

"Mixing most 'heavy' records is like trying to find order and lucidity in a recording of a Cathedral Pipe Organ, all stops out, randomly veering between Handel's Messiah, Ginestera's 2nd and a coupla Bach Fugues, in a Titanium kitchenware foundry, while a gaggle of enraged PCP snorting gorillas with bullhorns conduct a demolition derby with cement mixers against the soothing cacophony of a nearby landslide/tsunami/heavy artillery exchange."- Slipperman
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location nc
    Posts 1,507
    Rep Power 536871084

I never mix the center of the cone, except when I do.
    I'm a fan of cheese!