Rep Power 536871118

Default In ear monitor guide by monitor engineers

Roadside Outcast Dept. Short-rope candidate
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location On location...
    Posts 5,067
    Rep Power 536871208

Default Re: In ear monitor guide by monitor engineers

I had no idea that 90 degree connectors was a thing.

Interesting.

Cheers,
    Tim
    Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity.

The best radio mic system that money can buy is ALMOST as good as a $20 cable.

One of the most important things to remember about sound is:
    'Sucks' is always conducted better than 'Rules'. - Pimp-X wisdom

Never underestimate the power of stupid - Blackie C (RIP)

Ego and talent seldom go hand in hand... Talent and humble on the other hand... - Zoesch

Weedy ignores this simple bit of glaring obviousness because he is an "ELECTRIC BASS GUITARIST"(coughcough)
    and views the kick drum as a "bass riff rhythmic pattern suggestion generator" - Slipperman
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location West Chester, Ohio
    Posts 1,558
    Rep Power 536871091

Yep, RF doesn't like sharp bends. I was taught a
    long time ago when dealing with things around 7 to 20 MHz, don't bend the coax hard, nice easy bends are best.

It might not be too much of a problem on the transmit side of things, you will get some loss at bend as it radiates out of the coax. If you have plenty of power then wasting a dB is fine. But that same loss will happen on the receive side of things, and this is where you want every thing that the antenna picked up to make it to the front end amp.

You can get in trouble with just using too much coax on a receiver. You mount some nice high gain directional antenna, let's say it gives you 9 dB gain over an 1/4 wave whip attached right at the receiver. If the loss at frequency is higher than 9 you just screwed yourself.

An example 100 feet of RG-58 at 450MHz is 10.6 dB and that assumes no nasty bends in the cables. Keep bend radius to more than 5 times the cable outer diameter and yiu should be fine.
    Tori's Alibi

CAPE III - Team Galactic
    CAPE IV - Team Pantheon
    CAPE V - Team Elemental & Team Milk Carton
    CAPE VI - Team Grapestomper
    CAPE VII - Team Altitude
    goes looking for thin ice to walk on Not as sentimental as those other silly valentines.
    Join Date Jan 2010
    Location Norway
    Posts 83
    Rep Power 132120722

Nice, I didnīt know about RF and bends either.

here is a nice calculator for finding cable rf - loss:

http://www.saarsham.net/coax.html
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,778
    Rep Power 536871397

If I remember my desktop video days correctly it's not just rf loss that's a problem with tight bends/cable kinks, they can also cause reflections in the line.
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????