Has Many Personal Intergritys Expensive Boat Anchor
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,666
    Rep Power 536871395

Default Re: things performers do on stage at shows - what works and what fails?

they weren't windmilling, but the headshaking ooohs and the bows from the waist were every bit as much "just a show"
    Join Date Apr 2010
    Location Second largest French City
    Posts 1,267
    Rep Power 536871041

they weren't windmilling, but the headshaking ooohs and the bows from the waist were every bit as much "just a show"
    Indeed - and every bit of footage from that era shows Ringo having the best time of his life.

I suppose one could be jaded and say that it's all scripted but even today, when my bandmates and I play an early Beatles song for fun, it's pretty much expected of me slosh the hats in the same manner as Ringo.
    The emotionally and tonally deaf cannot hear the important things and never will. They will scream to the heavens the rest of us are wrong and produce useless papers to prove their point.
    Anybody claiming to be the first probably wasn't!
    www.timvandeven.com
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 11,623
    Rep Power 536871428

The "headshaking ooohs" might have initially been spontaneous. Once they discovered it was a sort of "secret weapon", it became staged, "part of the act". NTTAWWT

But it only worked for the Beatles. They could count on it signalling large numbers of adolescent girls that it was the appropriated time for a group scream.

One could make the argument that most of the rest of it, nodding one's head, tapping one's foot -- even shaking one's ass -- is behavior elicited by the mere act of playing Rock & Roll. Even if nobody's watching. It is the devil's music, lest we forget.

Paul smiling and making eye contact with the audience does seem to be pure showmanship but it can be hard to separate that which is contrived from the performer having a good time and feeding off the energy of the crowd.
    Man! You have GOT to try a hit of this RANGE SUNSHINE!

IMTBO = In My Thoroughly Biased Opinion
    CMIIW = Correct Me If I'm Wrong
    Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
    If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle
    Little River Band on The Run Internet Meme
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,409
    Rep Power 536871254

One should never strut around the stage naked, smeared in goose fat with a green enamel bedpan strapped to his/hers right foot doing figure eights.

Backward jellyfish, under-the-umbrella jay walk, sinister air hops or even doing double inward cleftstretches are ok.

Just not any figure eights.

Disgusting!

Drenkmann-Kleivitz manouvres can work as well. In moderation. Diverted Lhasa jumps, too. If they're not unhealthily spaced apart. That's a deal breaker.

If you substitute the bed pan with something large, placebo coloured, and shake your fist vigorously in a motion perpendicular to realty (as we know it)- it might work.

On Thursdays.

After 6.
    Last edited by Knastratt; January 3rd, 2015 at 03:28 AM. Reason: Optional
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Songwriter Gulch
    Posts 10,141
    Rep Power 536871379

I think performers also need to adjust what they do to the size of the room and audience. It's about being for real and not a poser as opposed to any specific moves.
    Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Georgetown Masters 615 254-3233
    Interview
    Artists are the gatekeepers of truth!- Paul Robeson
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,409
    Rep Power 536871254

In spite of being an excellent dancer (except when I have to haul around a girl) I feel no interest in moving to the music while performing. I need all my focus to let my emotion flow in order to create maximum impact performance. At rare occasions that might get expressed by way of spontaneous bodily contortions. But mostly - no.

I'm more of a Miles Davis on this. I don't mind sitting in a sofa, face the back door, handstands, next town etc.

If you get the feeling I cheated you of smart moves while you watched me - I'll gladly tap dance and recite Goethe afterwards.

I hope by God (Allah, Bhagwan, Demiurg etc) my concerts won't be judged by the lack of double inward cleftstretches and such.

NTTAWWT!
    Last edited by Knastratt; January 4th, 2015 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Optional
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Bexley, OH
    Posts 2,346
    Rep Power 536871119

I think authenticity is the most important part, and many flavors of successful showmanship arise from it. Successful doesn't have to mean high energy.
    Join Date Apr 2010
    Location Second largest French City
    Posts 1,267
    Rep Power 536871041

I think performers also need to adjust what they do to the size of the room and audience. It's about being for real and not a poser as opposed to any specific moves.
    Perfect (again).

You could apply this to drummers that can only seem to know how to play ffff in 30 seat-clubs.
    The emotionally and tonally deaf cannot hear the important things and never will. They will scream to the heavens the rest of us are wrong and produce useless papers to prove their point.
    Anybody claiming to be the first probably wasn't!
    www.timvandeven.com
    Court of The Crimson King of The Road Bought Bre-X high... still holding hope
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location on a big ball flying through space
    Posts 4,568
    Rep Power 536871193

I've been reading through this as it has wandered over its course, and I think maybe the biggest point was that there are no rules. What works? That depends.

I was about to jump in and comment on the thread a while back and had to drop that and do something. I remember that I was about to say something to the effect that artifice wasn't a good thing, and then I immediately thought, hang on. That's not right, either. For some, maybe the whole thing is artifice, it's all crafted theater, carefully thought out and planned out, and for some things, that's exactly right, and some sudden spontaneity would ruin it.

For other things, planning out some whole scripted choreography would ruin it.

Some people make a real show, maybe a great show, while being pretty low key and even relatively still while performing, with the focus being on playing the music, which, in many cases, is disrupted by a bunch of moving around.

Basically, I think it comes down to whatever makes you take it all in from the audience and think that what's happening just seems right. What "right" might be, for that, in that place and that moment, could be a hell of a lot different for something else.

You could go to shows by A and then B, and think they're both perfect, and if you could then have A do everything onstage like B, and B do everything on stage just like A, it might not just fail to "work", it could seem comically stupid.

You can probably make your own list of examples.

From a slightly different angle... myself, I do think that it is alright, and maybe a good idea in terms of what's "right", to consider age, passing time, changes beyond aging. In other words... dude, you're 65... it really IS alright to not pretend you're still 25, in fact... it might be better if you didn't. It's alright, we understand.

There was also the comment earlier about, what was it, appropriate for the room and so on.

I mean, it's pretty comical to watch guys on stage in a club playing rockstar acting out projecting to the upper-deck crowd 200 feet away in the arena... except they're in a club where the back wall is 50 feet away, and they're looking (and waving, pointing, humping, whatever) at the ceiling that's 5 feet above their head.

Which maybe takes me to what I might say is what doesn't work, in my book, which is when something is totally scripted and choreographed but trying to pretend it's wild and spontaneous. That can lose me pretty fast... but even that... well, it depends.

JLE
    "A machine is only as effective as its user"-Wilbur Wright

"I've suffered for my music, and now it's your turn"-Neil Innes

"I am amazed every single day how so many think that you have to constantly DO things to engineer properly. In fact, you do as little as possible, and then only the things required. The trick is in knowing what is actually required."-Terry Manning

"WE'RE ALL VILLAGE IDIOTS AT ONE POINT OR ANOTHER. "-der Schlippermensch

Facebook me!
    blah, blah, blah
    Join Date May 2013
    Location Ciderland, UK
    Posts 987
    Rep Power 536870993

I've been reading through this as it has wandered over its course, and I think maybe the biggest point was that there are no rules. What works? That depends...
    I just did the same, and came to the same conclusion. Nobby said it earlier, too, in terms of presentation appropriate to the music.

But there is another factor:

As demonstrated in this thread, no-one can agree on what makes a good show. It is also reliant on the audience. Entertainment is in the eye of the beholder.

Some bands get away with lots of banter, some bands get away with sitting on stools and noodling, some bands get away with diving at the drum kit...

The hardest one to pull off is looking awkward on stage, but even a rare few manage to make that compelling.

Horses for courses, whatever floats your boat etc. blah blah...
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,666
    Rep Power 536871395

Horses for courses, whatever floats your boat etc. blah blah...
    I can go with tht for the most part

I just CAN'T go with being any more critical of a band that 'misses the mark' by trying too hard or "being phony" than I can of a band that equally misses the mark by "sitting on stools and noodling" and not trying at all.
    Join Date May 2013
    Location Ciderland, UK
    Posts 987
    Rep Power 536870993

I can go with tht for the most part

I just CAN'T go with being any more critical of a band that 'misses the mark' by trying too hard or "being phony" than I can of a band that equally misses the mark by "sitting on stools and noodling" and not trying at all.
    Yeah, I wouldn't be more critical of that either.

The one thing that I personally look for in a live performance is that it is different from the record. Like you said, if I wanted to hear the record then I that's what I'd do.

Having said that, some people like concerts to basically be a mass karaoke session, and I wouldn't begrudge them that.

The example Pounce gave in the OP of the singer spending the whole gig only visible to a few people in the front row is a different deal though: only a small proportion of the audience were entertained, so I'd call that a stagecraft failure.

I do think that performance is largely ignored by many bands. Just playing your songs in front of people is not the same as giving them a performance. Even if the band never speak or move around, you can still bring an element of theatre to it.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,666
    Rep Power 536871395

I do think that performance is largely ignored by many bands. Just playing your songs in front of people is not the same as giving them a performance. Even if the band never speak or move around, you can still bring an element of theatre to it.

exactly.
    if you're going to stand still like a statue, then perhaps you need the videos and lights and smoke bombs and dancers and elephants...
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Songwriter Gulch
    Posts 10,141
    Rep Power 536871379

It's about engaging the audience and really no different than dating. A performer and their fans are a relationship.
    Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Georgetown Masters 615 254-3233
    Interview
    Artists are the gatekeepers of truth!- Paul Robeson
    wardrobe malfunction investigator Oh! "Mock Chicken" joke was about metric system!
    Join Date Aug 2008
    Posts 49
    Rep Power 134217864

There’s a good sized middle ground between the overwrought flailing about that has become de rigueur for rock acts these days, and standing still like a stone statue.

I never remember Stevie Ray Vaughan, Ella Fitzgerald, or Jeff Beck, being boring, or still life, but neither were they prancing around the stage, to prove their artistic angst, either.
    wardrobe malfunction investigator Oh! "Mock Chicken" joke was about metric system!
    Join Date Aug 2008
    Posts 49
    Rep Power 134217864

It's about engaging the audience and really no different than dating.
    Both about getting laid.
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,777
    Rep Power 536871398

I was messing around on Youtube yesterday and ran across this:

http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,409
    Rep Power 536871254

I've decided to push my answers on the forum by one topic so: yes, the AT 5040 can be connected without too much hassle.

Cheers - P
    Join Date Aug 2008
    Posts 49
    Rep Power 134217864

I've decided to push my answers on the forum by one topic so: yes, the AT 5040 can be connected without too much hassle.

Cheers - P
    Not if you forgot the mic cable.

Cheers - E

I dunno, Iggy Pop goes nuts, it seems as natural as your morning sit down. The Red Hot Chili Peppers pull it off, as do a lot of others. Perhaps because they're still bringing it so hard, musically.

I'll forgive flailing and statue, if the music still has some magic.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 11,623
    Rep Power 536871428

The Red Hot Chili Peppers pull it off
    As long as they don't pull their socks off.
    Man! You have GOT to try a hit of this RANGE SUNSHINE!

IMTBO = In My Thoroughly Biased Opinion
    CMIIW = Correct Me If I'm Wrong
    Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
    If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle