Thread: Finding Logic's Inner Keith Moon

Bovine Scatologist Loves British 'Cuisine'
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location In my happy place!
    Posts 1,630
    Rep Power 536871091

Sushi Finding Logic's Inner Keith Moon

I stumbled across a very happy accident, while noodling around with Logic's Drummer track. I unknowing adjusted a couple of regions outside the traditional bar division with the regions set to follow my bass track. All of a sudden, I started getting some neat drum fills at different points in the rhythm. It felt like Keith Moon just came back from the dead for that one moment.

It was like finding a Scotch filled easter egg. I might noodle with this more often just to see what effects various divisions have.

jord
    Real guitar heroes play real guitars!!

Jordan%20L.%20Chilcott
    Being Over There Now Retired phone sex worker... no more hang-ups!
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location here I am, you're looking at m
    Posts 3,622
    Rep Power 536871159

Default Re: Finding Logic's Inner Keith Moon

This is the area of Logic X that tantalizes me the most. These days, because I'm still on Logic 9, if I want Moony drumming, I generally wind up doing the tweakies myself in the MIDI region (Addictive Drums slaved to the track).

I'll start considering the Logic X upgrade again once Christmas rolls around and I get that extra 12GB of RAM installed into the Mini. (Yes, I know it's coming.) I'm hoping against hope that it allows Mavericks to perform as I've seen it do on other machines. Without the extra RAM, I'm pretty much foundering here.

Keep us updated on these experiments meng. An audio clip or two would not be out of scope, either, hint hint.
    Has Many Personal Intergritys Expensive Boat Anchor
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,659
    Rep Power 536871393

in order to be even a little Keith Moon you'd have to, for starters, have no click or grid
    Being Over There Now Retired phone sex worker... no more hang-ups!
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location here I am, you're looking at m
    Posts 3,622
    Rep Power 536871159

And yet more often than not, he was able to follow the tape whenever Baba O'Riley or Won't Get Fooled Again came up in the live set. So, I'm not willing to agree with you fully about the click at least.

Moon was an enigma wrapped in a mystery inside a riddle. Some say his chops were just fine, others said he could do very little beyond single-stoke rolls and barely bothered with even those rudiments. Some say his time veered wildly, others say it was spot-on. Sometimes these contradictory sentiments issued from the same mouths at one point or another, not least of these Townshend and Entwistle.

For whatever it's worth, I don't program kit-type sounds to a grid.
    Join Date Apr 2010
    Location Second largest French City
    Posts 1,267
    Rep Power 536871039

in order to be even a little Keith Moon you'd have to, for starters, have no click or grid
    Or learn to wobble creatively with tape loops
    The emotionally and tonally deaf cannot hear the important things and never will. They will scream to the heavens the rest of us are wrong and produce useless papers to prove their point.
    Anybody claiming to be the first probably wasn't!
    www.timvandeven.com
    Has Many Personal Intergritys Expensive Boat Anchor
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,659
    Rep Power 536871393

Townshend said his big revelation when he heard Keith play 'to' a track was that he was good at it because he always had played to the band, rather than keeping a beat the band played to.

but (his Baba O'Reilly entrance being a prime example) playing to the track didn't, by any means, mean keeping perfect grid time.
    Join Date Apr 2010
    Location Second largest French City
    Posts 1,267
    Rep Power 536871039

Townshend said his big revelation when he heard Keith play 'to' a track was that he was good at it because he always had played to the band, rather than keeping a beat the band played to.

but (his Baba O'Reilly entrance being a prime example) playing to the track didn't, by any means, mean keeping perfect grid time.
    That's what I like about his playing to loops; he still has his pocket, yet stays close enough to the tape loop that it sounds tight, yet musical; you wouldn't set your watch to it, but you'd sure as hell bop along with it.
    The emotionally and tonally deaf cannot hear the important things and never will. They will scream to the heavens the rest of us are wrong and produce useless papers to prove their point.
    Anybody claiming to be the first probably wasn't!
    www.timvandeven.com
    Bovine Scatologist Loves British 'Cuisine'
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location In my happy place!
    Posts 1,630
    Rep Power 536871091

I'm not sure if what's more amusing: having fun with this discovery, or watching weedy blow the metaphor out of context.

HOWEVER, one way to satisfy that "lose the grid" feel you're referring to is to set the drummer region to "follow track" and change the time signature for a set of bars. You then get a rhythm that floats all around the song. You can't set your watch to it, but it is definitely playing to the song. I tried this going from 4/4 to 9/8 for about 10 bars and then going back to 4/4 and the drums and bass were playing all around each other.
    Real guitar heroes play real guitars!!

Jordan%20L.%20Chilcott