Thread: Danley speaker systems

Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,778
    Rep Power 536871398

Default Danley speaker systems

Does anybody know anything about Danley speaker systems? The production group I'm part of is gearing up for another geriatric punk rock mini-festival this fall and we're advancing venues - one of the places is a large dance club that's claiming that their Danley system is "the best sound system available". I did a quick look at their site and the stuff looks somewhat interesting and it seems that Tom Danley was the guy behind the notorious Servo subwoofer.

Of course what's good for a dance club may very well be horrible for a live show. I have not been down to see the venue yet and check out the system - for all I know it's set up totally wrong for a live show anyway, but I thought I'd ask around here first and see if anyone has heard of this system. We may be visiting the place on Thursday, I'm not sure yet.
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Silly Rabbit Underwater ceramic engineer
    Join Date Feb 2009
    Posts 125
    Rep Power 91404775

Default Re: Danley speaker systems

Tom Danley definitely knows his shit. Whether your venue knows how to set it up is another story, and you aren't going to know that until you pay them a visit.

If you really want to look at some complete assend insanity, Google the Danley Matterhorn.
    The fact that no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist.
    Roadside Outcast Dept. Short-rope candidate
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location On location...
    Posts 5,071
    Rep Power 536871210

I'm interested in Danley because they seem to be all about the sound first, and then about efficiency.

Cheers,
    Tim
    Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity.

The best radio mic system that money can buy is ALMOST as good as a $20 cable.

One of the most important things to remember about sound is:
    'Sucks' is always conducted better than 'Rules'. - Pimp-X wisdom

Never underestimate the power of stupid - Blackie C (RIP)

Ego and talent seldom go hand in hand... Talent and humble on the other hand... - Zoesch

Weedy ignores this simple bit of glaring obviousness because he is an "ELECTRIC BASS GUITARIST"(coughcough)
    and views the kick drum as a "bass riff rhythmic pattern suggestion generator" - Slipperman
    Court of The Crimson King of The Road Bought Bre-X high... still holding hope
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location on a big ball flying through space
    Posts 4,568
    Rep Power 536871193

I'm interested in Danley because they seem to be all about the sound first, and then about efficiency.
    I don't know anything about Danley, but this grabbed my attention.

Basically, I think we could get a pretty broad consensus of people who have had years of being fed up to the gills with live sound systems where, through generations of stuff, of different styles of design and all that, things always seem to revolve around some kind of philosophy of just getting THE BIGGEST BLAST for each Watt pumped into the speakers, and just really not sounding very good most of the time.

I mean, I can't recall anybody ever listening to some live system and saying "hey, what speakers are those? I want to get a pair of those to use as studio monitors!".

JLE
    "A machine is only as effective as its user"-Wilbur Wright

"I've suffered for my music, and now it's your turn"-Neil Innes

"I am amazed every single day how so many think that you have to constantly DO things to engineer properly. In fact, you do as little as possible, and then only the things required. The trick is in knowing what is actually required."-Terry Manning

"WE'RE ALL VILLAGE IDIOTS AT ONE POINT OR ANOTHER. "-der Schlippermensch

Facebook me!
    blah, blah, blah
    Roadside Outcast Dept. Short-rope candidate
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location On location...
    Posts 5,071
    Rep Power 536871210

I mean, I can't recall anybody ever listening to some live system and saying "hey, what speakers are those? I want to get a pair of those to use as studio monitors!".

Actually...I can.

Jay Kay from Jamiroquai ended up with a set of Function 1 PA speakers as his control room mains.

Function 1 is the company started by Tony Andrews...who was one of the original guys behind Turbosound.

It can happen.

Meyer also developed some studio mains based on technology they'd used for their PA speakers.

Cheers,
    Tim
    Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity.

The best radio mic system that money can buy is ALMOST as good as a $20 cable.

One of the most important things to remember about sound is:
    'Sucks' is always conducted better than 'Rules'. - Pimp-X wisdom

Never underestimate the power of stupid - Blackie C (RIP)

Ego and talent seldom go hand in hand... Talent and humble on the other hand... - Zoesch

Weedy ignores this simple bit of glaring obviousness because he is an "ELECTRIC BASS GUITARIST"(coughcough)
    and views the kick drum as a "bass riff rhythmic pattern suggestion generator" - Slipperman
    turns Frailing and clawhammer into erotic art Suspiciously good at decorating
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Chicago, or at least nearby
    Posts 167
    Rep Power 395112675

Danley is very high quality stuff, efficient *and* good-sounding. They've decided not to go after the tour market, but instead sell a lot of big churches and sports stadiums. Tom Danley is a bit nuts about subs, so they've been leaking into the EDM market.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Bexley, OH
    Posts 2,346
    Rep Power 536871119

It's good stuff for sure. Now it's all about if it's properly deployed in that space.
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,778
    Rep Power 536871398

It's good stuff for sure. Now it's all about if it's properly deployed in that space.
    Exactly. The club does most of it business as a disco, so I'm a bit leery. I didn't get to advance it this week, as the time they gave our production group to check it out coincided with my dentist appointment, so I'll have to do it later. The people who run the club claim that they can reconfigure to suit the given event, but I don't know if that includes reconfiguring the sound system or just moving stage pieces around. We're having a production meeting Sunday, I'll see what the others found out, but there isn't anyone that went that I trust to ask the right (hard) questions.

I don't even know if they have a console, and where the mix position might be - the floor plan they provided doesn't show one. (Actually I'm kinda hoping that they don't, so I don't have to explain to them that I'd rather use an analog console for this type of event than whatever digital thing they'd be likely to have. one or two days of 12 or so punk bands a day with no sound checks, I want an analog console.
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Songwriter Gulch
    Posts 10,141
    Rep Power 536871379

I understand the tour market is now mostly connected by Ethernet which they don't make.
    Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Georgetown Masters 615 254-3233
    Interview
    Artists are the gatekeepers of truth!- Paul Robeson
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 14,276
    Rep Power 536871516

I agree, yet in all fairness, a lot of their youtube showcases and literature really highlights the efficiency of the systems.

otek
    "Tube color is not the 'thing'. Why would the most linear amplifying device have a color?" - Jonte Knif