Surfing the net at work every day! Brings his Les Paul to Banjo Center for Tuning
    Join Date Dec 2011
    Location Brahms' Hood
    Posts 337
    Rep Power 134217886

Default Club PA - General questions and what good controllers are out there?

Hi Fellas, long time no post..

So me and my mateys are starting a club. We're currently doing construction & fireproofing.

A friend and I will plan the PA. So it goes. The room is 30x11 meters. The hall was used for servicing freight trains, that's why the long shape. Height is 5,20m so it's a volume of 1700m^3. There will be a stage for Live Music at the far end of the Hall. People also want a seperate DJ-booth on the side of the Hall, about 2/3 in, close to the stage.

We're thinking of two 15"/8"/2" fullrange speakers at each side of the stage and two fullrange about halfway along the long wall. These should/could be able to be turned inwards, facing stage as a 4 point club PA, or facing down the hall as a delay line for Live Music.

We have two huge old JBL TCB 4773 (?) loaded with two 18" each that we intend to use as Infra-Subs and want to put in another 4 or 6 dual-18" subs. If we can afford 6, two could be placed below the delayed speakers to reinforce bass at the other far end of the hall. Risky business phase-wise, huh?

The end opposite to the stage will have the bar and maybe we can put some rather small speakers there to improve speech clarity.

Well, as always budget is critical and maybe we have to go with a half rental/lease half buy combination to be able to ensure our cash-flow.

I guess we need a controller System to provide us with at least 18 Feeds. Could you point me to some good options? We'll probably looking for used, so the newest-latest is not our scope, I think..

Thanks for your insights!

Cheers, Jo
    ....we're so happy, it's unbelievable. The drums rock, the guitars are freaking amazing and once we touch up the vocals this is money. It sounds better unmixed than our last records masters!!!

We're going to have to get an OMF file so our drummer can mix this like our last record.

Bwahahahahahahahahahaha!
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Bexley, OH
    Posts 2,346
    Rep Power 536871118

Default Re: Club PA - General questions and what good controllers are out there?

I'm a little uneasy with the subs being under the delay boxes for the record.

We we have some of the Yamaha DME64 boxes for our installed setup. Tons of I/O. That would certainly work. You could make a few presets - live music, DJ, maybe a simple preset for earlier if it's just bartenders playing music from an iPod or something before it becomes club time. The DME boxes have been out long enough that you ought to be able to find one used. So for price, availability, and input output it's one I'd look at.
    Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Dated Paris Hilton before she was a tramp!
    Join Date Jan 2010
    Posts 27
    Rep Power 93

Default Re: Club PA - General questions and what good controllers are out there?

I expect that the JBLs are not particularly good subs, let alone infra subs.
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,780
    Rep Power 536871397

We have two huge old JBL TCB 4773 (?) loaded with two 18" each that we intend to use as Infra-Subs and want to put in another 4 or 6 dual-18" subs.
    I can find no reference to a JBL "TCB4773" dual 18 sub. There is an "SR4773" which is a small single 18 sub in what looks like a sealed box. I found a "TCB4668" which is a dual 18 rated for THX theatrical applications which probably would make a decent infra-sub - rated bandwidth is 23Hz to 350 -10dB or 23 - 150zZHz - 3dB. It's a triple chamber bandpass design which shows 4 ports on the front, no drivers are visible.

Can you give a description (or even better, photos) of the subs in question?
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????