Thread: Facing the upgrade path...

Astrological sign is "Feces"! Prefers rhythm cowbell to lead
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location NC
    Posts 383
    Rep Power 536871052

Default Facing the upgrade path...

I've become resigned to the fact that I may have to migrate over to Logic X from a long run using Logic 8. I spent a good many years jumping through hoops with my previous recording system making old hardware work with newer software (DNafe knows what I'm talking about here, Ensonique PARIS) and I'm just not feeling interested in spending the time or brain power on how to continue using Logic 8 with a modern MacBookPro running Yosemite. I have considered booting Snow Leopard from an external drive and just booting to that when I work on music, but I don't know if I want to be weighed down by all that.

I'm not a professional, and my lively hood does not hinge on the use of music production tools. I am a musician at best, and a hobbyist at worst.

Any advise? Stick with 8? Upgrade? What are the challenges I'll face going from 8 to X?

Thanks for taking the time to read all that.
    Little River Band on The Run Internet Meme
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,407
    Rep Power 536871253

Default Re: Facing the upgrade path...

I have no Logic experience whatsoever but I know by heart that workarounds kill creativity. Bite the bullet. Pay the price.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location NC
    Posts 383
    Rep Power 536871052

I have no Logic experience whatsoever but I know by heart that workarounds kill creativity. Bite the bullet. Pay the price.
    Thanks sir. I tend to agree fully.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 14,275
    Rep Power 536871515

There's a (clown)face I haven't seen in a while.

And I do think you should go through the upgrade. Neither Logic 8 or Snow Leopard can be considered among Apple's finer moments.

otek
    "Tube color is not the 'thing'. Why would the most linear amplifying device have a color?" - Jonte Knif
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location NC
    Posts 383
    Rep Power 536871052

There's a (clown)face I haven't seen in a while.

And I do think you should go through the upgrade. Neither Logic 8 or Snow Leopard can be considered among Apple's finer moments.

otek
    Good to see the cups too old friend.

I personally thought Snow Leopard and Logic 8 did well... for me... but again, not making my living from it. Just hacking and slashing my way through the audio.
    Large dairy air enthusiast Runs a 4.35 forty...yeah right!
    Join Date Mar 2007
    Location Gothenburg, Sweden
    Posts 1,188
    Rep Power 536871074

Make the jump you will never ever miss logic8... EVER!
    I miss Logic 4.8 I miss Logic 7.
    9 was a fix for 8, 10 is pretty good considering the carcrash 8 was...
    EMK is well known in Nantucket
    A reputation so strong, he can't duck it
    The swedish bikini team
    couldn't help but scream
    when his armadillo escaped from his pocket.

Cape10 : Team Barricades (mix)
    Cape9 : Madison Square Warden (bass)
    Cape8 : Roots (bass&bones) | relentless (ideas&support)
    Cape7 : Argonauts (bass) | Big Band Theory (bones)
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 14,275
    Rep Power 536871515

Similar things can be said about Snow Leopard.

My system got a whole lot more stable and efficient once I went through that phase.

otek
    "Tube color is not the 'thing'. Why would the most linear amplifying device have a color?" - Jonte Knif
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location NC
    Posts 383
    Rep Power 536871052

Well I've made the jump. Logic X running on Yosemite. So far so good.

Flex pitch is bonkers.
    ...in the lowest tenth percentile.
    Little River Band on The Run Internet Meme
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,407
    Rep Power 536871253

Congrats. Now - go make some more great music!
    Famous Celebuskank Former African Dictator
    Join Date Nov 2011
    Location Charlotte, NC
    Posts 2,159
    Rep Power 536871050

Well I've made the jump. Logic X running on Yosemite. So far so good.

Flex pitch is bonkers.
    Bonkers good or bonkers bad?
    Mike
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location NC
    Posts 383
    Rep Power 536871052

I'm not sure I know yet. Being able to control vocal pitch at near-syllable level is very cool, yet it feels wrong... like putting on the ring of Sauron. You know you posses such evil in your hands, yet are unable to keep from using it. Then that damn burning Eye comes out of nowhere and says "I see you!" and then the shame comes in...

Wait, what were we talking about?
    Join Date Nov 2011
    Location Charlotte, NC
    Posts 2,159
    Rep Power 536871050

I'm not sure I know yet. Being able to control vocal pitch at near-syllable level is very cool, yet it feels wrong... like putting on the ring of Sauron. You know you posses such evil in your hands, yet are unable to keep from using it. Then that damn burning Eye comes out of nowhere and says "I see you!" and then the shame comes in...

Wait, what were we talking about?
    Oh wow! LOL!

that is unfortunate!
    Mike
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location NC
    Posts 383
    Rep Power 536871052

Oh wow! LOL!

that is unfortunate!
    I should add, it's actually pretty cool.
    Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Dated Paris Hilton before she was a tramp!
    Join Date Nov 2014
    Location Phoenix, AZ
    Posts 28
    Rep Power 33

Bonkers bad when working with "takes". Don't mind me though, I've only casually worked with Logic X as a possible alternative to PT, and thus far I'm not impressed, particularly with audio editing.
    Join Date Nov 2011
    Location Charlotte, NC
    Posts 2,159
    Rep Power 536871050

Bonkers bad when working with "takes". Don't mind me though, I've only casually worked with Logic X as a possible alternative to PT, and thus far I'm not impressed, particularly with audio editing.
    No, I find this valid. I've not cared for Logic's audio handling for quite some time. Although it's gotten better, PT and Nuendo have it in spades.

as for take folder stuff, I've never tuned in a take folder and always condense to a new track before messing with any of that. You can put a take folder into editing mode and that may be the ticket?
    Mike
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 14,275
    Rep Power 536871515

There are too many inconsistencies in Logic's audio handling these days.

To wit:

1) Exporting tracks will truncate soft decays at the end, unless you insert a sound after the track(s).

2) altering a region boundary will sometimes make the sample waveform inside the region nudge a few samples, making it out of phase.

3) Removing overlaps doesn't (always).

4) Waveform render gets squiggly at low levels and/or high zoom values.

5) Splicing region at flex markers doesn't (always).

6) Moving a region by ppq (parts per quarter note) is inconsistent, indicated by a dot after the ppq value. You sometimes have to find a very high zoom value to get the file to conform (and even then, it doesn't always seem to do it).

7) Project end marker tends to move erratically (ancient problem), and sometimes you discover this in the middle of a freeze or bounce operation. You either have to abort the operation, or wait three times as long.

And don't get me started on the fact that highlighting automation within the track requires the shift button - which also happens to be the button that retains earlier automation highlights (by allowing multiple selections). I don't know how many times I've hit shift to highlight a piece of automation to be erased, only to realize later that I also erased ALL the complex automation written to another track.

otek
    Bovine Scatologist Loves British 'Cuisine'
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location In my happy place!
    Posts 1,630
    Rep Power 536871092

No, I find this valid. I've not cared for Logic's audio handling for quite some time. Although it's gotten better, PT and Nuendo have it in spades.

as for take folder stuff, I've never tuned in a take folder and always condense to a new track before messing with any of that. You can put a take folder into editing mode and that may be the ticket?
    I think after decades of using mainly Logic, I feel I can pretty much find any methodology I need to deal with audio and get all that I need done quickly.

I usually won't tune a take in a folder. If anything, I'll use Melodyne on the entire take when I need it (yes, I still feel dirty, but I can always set fire to my clothes and hop in the shower afterwards ) I will use the Flex Time in a take, and yes you need to put the take into editing mode, rather than comp mode.

jord
    Real guitar heroes play real guitars!!

Jordan%20L.%20Chilcott
    Being Over There Now Retired phone sex worker... no more hang-ups!
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location here I am, you're looking at m
    Posts 3,622
    Rep Power 536871160

7) Project end marker tends to move erratically (ancient problem), and sometimes you discover this in the middle of a freeze or bounce operation. You either have to abort the operation, or wait three times as long.
    Is aborting the operation even possible? I've tried command-period to no avail.

I've noticed much the same things about Logic's audio handling as you have—IIRC you and I are both still on 9? Maybe I've just gotten used to these things; although I've noticed that none of these things carry over to my experience with PT (mind you, I'm still not used to that interface).

I've also noticed that when I'm looking to move a region end point (this usually happens when I'm trying to loop some audio) the region itself starts to go a little bit wonky and struggles to get to the bar line—and then goes past it if you push it hard enough.

I usually don't loop audio for long enough that a sample or two of phasing (in the Steve Reich sense) makes for much of a difference, but I could see it being a problem if I were working an electronica mix and needed to keep things precisely on the grid.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 14,275
    Rep Power 536871515

All these things are workable to some extent, or I found a workaround to them.

It's just that it bugs me when inexplicable and random things happen to my audio without my express permission.

otek
    Join Date Nov 2011
    Location Charlotte, NC
    Posts 2,159
    Rep Power 536871050

Yeah, I'm waaay faster editing in Logic than I am PT, but that's just due to YEARS of use.

Im with otek though, things are irritating to say the least. Trying to get things moved where you want is painful sometimes! The new smart grid in X is just frustrating at times!
    Mike