Thread: Facing the upgrade path...

Bovine Scatologist Loves British 'Cuisine'
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location In my happy place!
    Posts 1,630
    Rep Power 536871090

Default Re: Facing the upgrade path...

I definitely can't say that moving and placing audio is painful for me. Perhaps, it just how I have the tools like nudge working like I want it. And perhaps, it also helps that I have access to many of these tools through my control surface so that a lot of things work at the turn of a dial. Things like that get me in and out really quickly.

jord
    Real guitar heroes play real guitars!!

Jordan%20L.%20Chilcott
    Join Date Mar 2012
    Location The Great White North
    Posts 431
    Rep Power 536870987

Things like that get me in and out really quickly.
    Boy, what's happened to this place? Normally, three or four people would've said something about your wife uttering this sentence by this time...
    A mother-in-law's nightmare Bug Tussle Town Dogcatcher
    Join Date Jan 2008
    Location Heaven's Gate
    Posts 2,527
    Rep Power 536871107

We are getting older.
    "Here ain't there..." - Unfcknblvbl, June 17th, 2010
    Famous Celebuskank Former African Dictator
    Join Date Nov 2011
    Location Charlotte, NC
    Posts 2,159
    Rep Power 536871048

We are getting older.
    Man! Ain't that the truth!
    Mike
    Astrological sign is "Feces"! Prefers rhythm cowbell to lead
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location NC
    Posts 383
    Rep Power 536871050

Speak up, I can't hear you...
    ...in the lowest tenth percentile.
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 1,630
    Rep Power 536871090

Boy, what's happened to this place? Normally, three or four people would've said something about your wife uttering this sentence by this time...
    At my age, that would be considered an accomplishment.

And being confined to a wheelchair for the next few weeks makes things... complicated.

So, it just makes more sense to talk about music at this time.

jord

Jordan%20L.%20Chilcott
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 14,273
    Rep Power 536871513

And being confined to a wheelchair for the next few weeks makes things... complicated.

So, it just makes more sense to talk about music at this time.
    Is your studio facing the rear window, by any chance?

otek
    "Tube color is not the 'thing'. Why would the most linear amplifying device have a color?" - Jonte Knif
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 1,630
    Rep Power 536871090

Is your studio facing the rear window, by any chance?
    And if I said no...

jord

Jordan%20L.%20Chilcott
    Astrological sign is "Feces"! Prefers rhythm cowbell to lead
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location NC
    Posts 383
    Rep Power 536871050

I'm really liking the integration of the Logic remote app on the iPad. Has definitely had a positive affect on my workflow while creating music.
    ...in the lowest tenth percentile.
    Being Over There Now Retired phone sex worker... no more hang-ups!
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location here I am, you're looking at m
    Posts 3,622
    Rep Power 536871158

And if I said no...
    .. then Grace Kelly could sneak up behind you and you'd never know it.

Or Raymond Burr could get away with murder.
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 1,630
    Rep Power 536871090

I never thought of that. Then again, why would I?

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

Jordan%20L.%20Chilcott
    Join Date Nov 2011
    Location Charlotte, NC
    Posts 2,159
    Rep Power 536871048

I never thought of that. Then again, why would I?

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk
    im thinkin' you'd be freakin' out if Grace Kelly snuck up behind you right now, lol!
    Mike
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 1,630
    Rep Power 536871090

I'd be freakin' out if anyone other than the missus snuck up behind me... that means the freakin' locks on the house are bloody useless!

jord

Jordan%20L.%20Chilcott
    Join Date Nov 2011
    Location Charlotte, NC
    Posts 2,159
    Rep Power 536871048

Lol.
    Mike
    Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Dated Paris Hilton before she was a tramp!
    Join Date Nov 2014
    Location Phoenix, AZ
    Posts 28
    Rep Power 31

No, I find this valid. I've not cared for Logic's audio handling for quite some time. Although it's gotten better, PT and Nuendo have it in spades.

as for take folder stuff, I've never tuned in a take folder and always condense to a new track before messing with any of that. You can put a take folder into editing mode and that may be the ticket?
    It's been a while now since I've tried. I recall comping together a track using takes, and then being unable to Flex-Time the new regions that I moved up to the comp track, I suppose because I was unable to Flex-Time the alternate takes. I researched what the hell to do for at least a few hours and was unable to make it work. I also recall following some detailed directions that I found on how to get this to work, and it worked on one session but would not on another. This should be simple, just like EA in Pro Tools...if you enable EA on a track, any region that gets put on that track gets the EA treatment and can be edited as such.

There are too many inconsistencies in Logic's audio handling these days.
    3) Removing overlaps doesn't (always).
    Yup, I recall running into this as well and it was quite frustrating.

4) Waveform render gets squiggly at low levels and/or high zoom values.
    The waveform overviews in Logic X just look plain bad, period. I'm not a fan of the GUI in general either, it feels cluttered and unintuitive.

7) Project end marker tends to move erratically (ancient problem), and sometimes you discover this in the middle of a freeze or bounce operation. You either have to abort the operation, or wait three times as long.
    Yet another frustrating problem that I ran into at least a few times.

I also don't like how the transport works at all. Having to Marquee-Click in the timeline to have playback start from the same spot is annoying. It reminds me of having "Timeline and Edit Selection" and "Playback follows insertion" in PT unlinked ALL THE TIME. I almost never unlink timeline and edit selection, and I only have playback follow the cursor if I'm doing on-location recording or VO sessions.

And what's up with the destructive editing? Any processing of audio should default to be non-destructive, creating new regions/files etc., without having to save copies of files and the such. That is just plain dumb, destructive processes are pretty much gone from DAWs as far as I can see. There may have been logic to it when 1GB hard drives cost $10k but nowadays it's pointless.

Chalk alot of this up to me not having put a whole lot of time into Logic, but these issues along with others have not helped with my initial impression. I fully understand that Logic can be configured to overcome some of the undesirable default behaviors, such as enabling the (pardon my terminology, I'm sure it's wrong) "edit zones, marquee zones" or whatever they are called to mimic PT Smart Tool functionality. On some of these I may just be plain wrong, as I'm going from memory here from a time a few months back when I gave Logic a good chunk of my attention.

Overall I will say that it's obviously a good DAW, with many experienced users being able to nail down the workflow and get shit done, but it won't move me away from PT anytime soon. I do alot of post work anyway, so I'm sort of pigeon-holed into having to have a PT license of some sort laying around even if I did migrate away. If I did migrate, Logic X would likely be the one I'd move to, sans demoing some of the other DAWs that seem to be gaining more popularity such as Cubendo and Presonus' Studio One and having a eureka moment.

Honestly I'm only changing DAWs if I have to, and although Avid's new pricing/support/subscription debacle is turning me off to spending any more money with them, I have a feeling that I'll be parking my PT license at 10/11 on OSX 10.9.5 (or possibly Yosemite) and staying there for quite a long time. I'm through chasing the latest and greatest in software and OS versions, it's a serious case of diminishing returns, especially with Pro Tools.
    Join Date Nov 2011
    Location Charlotte, NC
    Posts 2,159
    Rep Power 536871048

I would not use Logic for any serious post production, and most not serious as well.

the marquee tool is cool but it will not stay put if you click something. I have setup the key command "Play from last start point", or whatever it's called, to the number 0 on the keypad.

the marquee will override the loop settings, but if those are turned off, "0" works for me.

But i get it. Just info for the masses.
    Mike
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 14,273
    Rep Power 536871513

This should be simple, just like EA in Pro Tools...if you enable EA on a track, any region that gets put on that track gets the EA treatment and can be edited as such.
    This is how it works for me, but perhaps not on a comped track. I supposed I would "flatten" the take first.

The waveform overviews in Logic X just look plain bad, period. I'm not a fan of the GUI in general either, it feels cluttered and unintuitive.
    They've been more or less bad all along. In PT, you can see exactly what's going on, and you can zoom in, both vertically and horizontally, to ridiculous waveform size.

And what's up with the destructive editing? Any processing of audio should default to be non-destructive, creating new regions/files etc.
    Well, yes and no. I always make backups anyway as a matter of course, and sometimes I like the stability and finality of actually changing something permanently. I guess it reminds me of tape. I also use Izotope RX frequently to sort problems, and reimport the files into Logic.

Overall I will say that it's obviously a good DAW, with many experienced users being able to nail down the workflow and get shit done, but it won't move me away from PT anytime soon.
    For songwriting, arrangements and MIDI stuff, I still vastly prefer Logic - even though I think 7.2 was the best version ever, for its time. But I see myself migrating to PT more and more for editing and mix work. A hybrid of the two is how I prefer to work. I have several set routines that involve both platforms in tandem.

otek
    "Tube color is not the 'thing'. Why would the most linear amplifying device have a color?" - Jonte Knif
    Frustrated Chick Rock singer...now doing jazz standards poorly! Yknee cnut
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Switzerland
    Posts 498
    Rep Power 536871054

But I see myself migrating to PT more and more for editing and mix work. A hybrid of the two is how I prefer to work. I have several set routines that involve both platforms in tandem.
    Would you care to elaborate?

I switched from Samplitude to Logic last year (more due to the OS than anything else) and wouldn't want to turn back (mostly because of ChrisJs Intersample Plugin which is AU only).

Frank
    Drummers perspective or death. -Slippy
    Ducked in here to avoid the paparazzi Dated Paris Hilton before she was a tramp!
    Join Date Nov 2014
    Location Phoenix, AZ
    Posts 28
    Rep Power 31

For songwriting, arrangements and MIDI stuff, I still vastly prefer Logic - even though I think 7.2 was the best version ever, for its time. But I see myself migrating to PT more and more for editing and mix work. A hybrid of the two is how I prefer to work. I have several set routines that involve both platforms in tandem.
    I agree completely. I very much liked Logic in the composition process, but got frustrated with the editing (particularly of audio editing) and, to a lesser degree, mixing. Once one has become fast at editing and mixing with PT there is no other DAW that I've seen that is on par with the simplicity of it's workflow.
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 1,630
    Rep Power 536871090

I can take that type of statement and apply it to any DAW. I've been working with Logic for 28 years with very few issues with the audio editing and mixing workflow.

Most people's problems with Logic is that don't bother to look beyond the surface of it. They launch the app with a McDonald's Drive Thru attitude and go "is that it?" or "it's so unintuitive". I call Bullshit!

jord

Jordan%20L.%20Chilcott