Thread: New CAPE?

Comfortably dumb Commissioner of Rock and Roll!
    Join Date Jun 2008
    Location Krautistan
    Posts 1,265
    Rep Power 536871063

Beer Thirty New CAPE?

Hello everyone and all you good pixies and goblins in the machine room and behind the scenes,
    is there another CAPE planned?
    The last official CAPE ended roughly three years ago,
    and I'm really itching to get CAPEing again.
    What do you think?
    I'd volunteer to help with organization and administration of CAPE, if there is a need for it.

All the best,
    the keks
    Cape 8: Team Millionaires, Team Relentless

The accordion - sometimes an instrument .... often just a bag pipe gone wrong.
    (Immanuel)
    doesn't play the sax gets a contact high from patchouli oil
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 164
    Rep Power 268435632

Default Re: New CAPE?

Cape diy 2!
    doesn't play the sax gets a contact high from patchouli oil
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 164
    Rep Power 268435632

Someone page goes on the cape phone!
    Martini Drinker Van Morrison's enunciation coach
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,209
    Rep Power 2500000000

Hi there,
    We’ve been thinking about doing another CAPE for a while now. For personal (yet obvious) reasons, I certainly wouldn’t mind a CAPE…11 ;-)
    Truth is, CAPE is fun when we have many people participating, when we have 10-15 teams across the finish line at “reveal” time, that’s really exciting.
    But it’s not easy to get that kind of traction. It takes a whole lot of nursing and babysitting to keep 10-15 teams going. Trust me, been there, done that.
    We’ve done 10 editions, and maybe the concept has run its course.
    I could be wrong, I dunno.

Tell you what: you guys round up 80-100 “suspects” willing to participate, I’ll make sure the damn thing happens. I’ll even play or sing whatever you need me to.

I’ll be checking in here as usual.

Cheers,
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location nc
    Posts 1,509
    Rep Power 536871085

Default New CAPE?

In.

Though I understand the logistical complications, it was hard to keep one team going during diy cape.
    It's fun though.
    I'm a fan of cheese!
    Comfortably dumb Commissioner of Rock and Roll!
    Join Date Jun 2008
    Location Krautistan
    Posts 1,265
    Rep Power 536871063

But it’s not easy to get that kind of traction. It takes a whole lot of nursing and babysitting to keep 10-15 teams going. Trust me, been there, done that.
    I believe you, I had my share of sobbing on your virtual shoulder when I was young and stupid.
    Now, that I'm not young anymore... uhm...

No, for real, I do believe that it's a major PITA to have to moderate and swap personnel in a dozen subforums.
    But then again it is 2015.
    I always thought it was neat to have the team forums in the womb, and in the beginning this might have been necessary,
    but today there should be no problem for each team to find other ways of self-regulated communicating.
    There's facebook, there's whatsapp, there are a plethora of free forum software and I think even free hosts.
    I'm sure this would take a lot of work load off your shoulders.

Is there anything else I miss from the outside that we could do in a different way to relieve our mods?
    What were the most tedious and time consuming tasks?

All the best,
    the keks
    Cape 8: Team Millionaires, Team Relentless

The accordion - sometimes an instrument .... often just a bag pipe gone wrong.
    (Immanuel)
    Surfing the net at work every day! Throws like a girl
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Location Milwaukee, WI
    Posts 323
    Rep Power 402653371

Having only participated in 2 CAPEs, I am not sure I am an authority, but my one small suggestion would be to keep the teams small. It seems the more people involved in the teams, the more likely to fall apart.

I am in regardless.

Would like to see a 4-5 person per team CAPE.
    jdier - home recordist
    my band is R. Mutt
    some Live Videos from shows I have been to
    Join Date Apr 2010
    Location Second largest French City
    Posts 1,267
    Rep Power 536871041

Who needs a drummer?
    The emotionally and tonally deaf cannot hear the important things and never will. They will scream to the heavens the rest of us are wrong and produce useless papers to prove their point.
    Anybody claiming to be the first probably wasn't!
    www.timvandeven.com
    just a minute...where's that damn capo? Better off without a wife
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 161
    Rep Power 226456864

Funny, I haven't been back here in a while and was just talking with someone about the great collaborations that I was part of in CAPE and figured I'd check in...

I'm in if someone needs a singer
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,209
    Rep Power 2500000000

Is there anything else I miss from the outside that we could do in a different way to relieve our mods?
    Thanks for asking, but even after 10 editions, the mods are prepared, ready, willing, and able - if there is a demand.
    That was my thinking with the CAPE D.I.Y. - if it's only 5 or 10 folks, we don't need a CAPE. I was doing online collaborations before CAPE.

What were the most tedious and time consuming tasks?
    The most time-consuming? All the erasing and re-recording that Aardvark had to do.

Kidding aside, the toughest part was always making sure people who signed up would actually show up and participate.

In the first editions, there was a core group who drove the thing from start to finish by sheer enthusiasm. The fact that newcomers could end up on a team with more experienced players or (gasp/shudder) a "big name" was a real incentive for folks to sign up (yes, we have actually had a few award-winning big names participating on CAPE, and no, I'm not telling who they were). But even back then, you have no idea how many folks would sign up and then just plain disappear. The other issue over time was people doing a lot of "talk" but very little "walk", in other words, CAPE is a great revealer of people actually being worth their salt (and that has less to do with talent than with a reliable/pro attitude). To a certain extent, it may have scared a few good folks off.

Other than that, all those who have actually participated will probably agree that's it's very much like being in a real band without the beer stains and the girlfriend stealing.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,209
    Rep Power 2500000000

...and then there were a few superb pranks.

I think it was Trazan who sneaked into another team's ftp and "fixed" a drum track or two...

I personally sneaked into team Chardonnay's ftp and turned a great vocal track by JG into a pitch nightmare. Couldn't hide for a very long time though, but we pissed ourselves laughing.

A few nefarious troll-terrorists managed to sneak into a couple teams, but we were able to lock them out in due time.

Ahhh. Good times.
    goes looking for thin ice to walk on Thinks 'Catcher in the Rye' refers to a book
    Join Date Mar 2008
    Location France
    Posts 93
    Rep Power 335544495

This CAPE thing should Goes to Eleven...

at least.

CAPE, the freshest way to make and ear some tunes.
    Quantum Psychic Turkey vulture soup slurper
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Cheeseland
    Posts 213
    Rep Power 536871048

I'll play.
    cheers, - Buzzgrowl
    Cape 8 Team Incognito
    Cape 10 Team What's Going On
    Join Date Dec 2013
    Location Danmark
    Posts 231
    Rep Power 102554282

Sorry for being ignorant here, but can someone point in the right direction of information about what the CAPE actually is?
    Quantum Psychic Turkey vulture soup slurper
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Cheeseland
    Posts 213
    Rep Power 536871048

You can read the sticky CAPE catastrophe primer in this sub-forum. What happens is you volunteer with whatever musical competencies you have and then the Womb Gods put you on a Team (a virtual band). A deadline gets set at which all the CAPE Teams must submit a song. The time allowance is usually a couple of months.
    cheers, - Buzzgrowl
    Cape 8 Team Incognito
    Cape 10 Team What's Going On
    Surfing the net at work every day! Drives a Zamboni to work
    Join Date May 2007
    Posts 345
    Rep Power 536871045

Im in if it gets of the starting line...

Yer gonna feel pretty wrong when I come sailing into your breakfast nook behind the wheel of a cement mixer, and start twiddling around on yer skull with a fucking tire iron. I'll be humming "Watcher of the Skies" the whole while.

SM.
    https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-mixroom
    Join Date Dec 2013
    Location Danmark
    Posts 231
    Rep Power 102554282

You can read the sticky CAPE catastrophe primer in this sub-forum. What happens is you volunteer with whatever musical competencies you have and then the Womb Gods put you on a Team (a virtual band). A deadline gets set at which all the CAPE Teams must submit a song. The time allowance is usually a couple of months.
    cheers, - Buzzgrowl
    Thanks I hoped it wouldn't be in Real Life 'cause I'm sitting in a far away kingdom... Online? I'm game! I call shotgun on the drums... Or the bass...

www.lydsalonen.dk
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 3,209
    Rep Power 2500000000

Thanks I hoped it wouldn't be in Real Life 'cause I'm sitting in a far away kingdom... Online? I'm game! I call shotgun on the drums... Or the bass...

www.lydsalonen.dk
    At the top of the page you'll find a link to CAPE PLAYER
    (or, you can click HERE)
    You'll find a whole bunch of songs delivered by CAPE teams over the years and editions.
    Enjoy!
    Join Date Dec 2013
    Location Danmark
    Posts 231
    Rep Power 102554282

Thanks man... I mainly visit the Womb via the Tapatalk app, so that makes it a bit difficult navigating the site...
    Hates these rank titles! Wife left with tractor salesman...got John Deere letter
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Boston, MA
    Posts 204
    Rep Power 536871047

I've got drums is we crank it up again....