Thread: 10.1.1 WTF Moments

Bovine Scatologist Loves British 'Cuisine'
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location In my happy place!
    Posts 1,630
    Rep Power 536871090

Enjoy 10.1.1 WTF Moments

Just a PSA to check your Logic projects when updating to 10.1.1. I have at least three projects where I have had bad alias regions, thus forcing me to re-alias those regions (they were drummer tracks in this case).

I also have one project in which one of the instruments has the wrong volume levels along with other instrument information. I may have to reset the instrument to get everything right again.

Fun...

jord
    Real guitar heroes play real guitars!!

Jordan%20L.%20Chilcott
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 1,630
    Rep Power 536871090

Default Re: 10.1.1 WTF Moments

Oh, and if you're thinking of using Flex Pitch in a project, the latest update managed to screw that up too. I discovered that on one of the songs I was mixing down after the update. I probably would have gotten better results sticking a fork down my throat.

Half a million people working for Apple and not one of them is in QA.

jord

Jordan%20L.%20Chilcott
    Being Over There Now Retired phone sex worker... no more hang-ups!
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location here I am, you're looking at m
    Posts 3,622
    Rep Power 536871158

Half a million people working for Apple and not one of them is in QA.
    Hadn't you heard? That's us, the free beta-testers.
    Famous Celebuskank Former African Dictator
    Join Date Nov 2011
    Location Charlotte, NC
    Posts 2,159
    Rep Power 536871048

I used flex pitch to try and tune one note. After an F'ing hour I realized, it's not you, it's borked!
    Mike
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 14,273
    Rep Power 536871513

Actually rendering/exporting anything that's "not real" before an update is a very wise move.

Also, I avoid updates in the middle of a project.

otek
    "Tube color is not the 'thing'. Why would the most linear amplifying device have a color?" - Jonte Knif
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 1,630
    Rep Power 536871090

Flex pitch was more of an experiment to see how it worked in comparison to Melodyne. Definitely have my answer on that.

Were it not for the fact that I had dug up this project to get a 24-bit audio bounce, I wouldn't have known as it was the only project that I used Flex Pitch. I'd rather use Melodyne... and I always bounce it.

10.1.1 caught me by surprise. It more or less happened while I was out of the house for three days. And even then I only really noticed once I got my hands on my laptop a couple of weeks later.

jord

Jordan%20L.%20Chilcott
    Famous Celebuskank Former African Dictator
    Join Date Nov 2011
    Location Charlotte, NC
    Posts 2,159
    Rep Power 536871048

Sneaky bastages!
    Mike
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 1,630
    Rep Power 536871090

Tell me about it. Usually, I like to read the problems of those deciding to ride the bleeding edge before I choose to commit. Life, however, had a different set of plans.

jord

Jordan%20L.%20Chilcott
    Hates these rank titles! Iconoclastic plastic
    Join Date Nov 2009
    Location Ich bin Maroon!
    Posts 214
    Rep Power 301990044

So would it be fair to say then, if you're used to working with 9 and you're in the middle of a project do not upgrade to X(10)?

Especially if you're also still on Mavericks??!!
    shut up and play yer guitar...
    Being Over There Now Retired phone sex worker... no more hang-ups!
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location here I am, you're looking at m
    Posts 3,622
    Rep Power 536871158

So would it be fair to say then, if you're used to working with 9 and you're in the middle of a project do not upgrade to X(10)?

It would be bad practice to upgrade your DAW in the middle of a project anyway, if for no other reason than that your workflow will change. If you're on the clock, a client is not going to be happy with you fumbling around the new DAW trying to figure things out.

And if you're on Mavericks (and not in the middle of a project), get ready to spend on upgrading your RAM too. I learned that the hard way—and I stayed on Logic 9 point sumfin-sumfin.
    Hates these rank titles! Iconoclastic plastic
    Join Date Nov 2009
    Location Ich bin Maroon!
    Posts 214
    Rep Power 301990044

It would be bad practice to upgrade your DAW in the middle of a project anyway, if for no other reason than that your workflow will change. If you're on the clock, a client is not going to be happy with you fumbling around the new DAW trying to figure things out.

And if you're on Mavericks (and not in the middle of a project), get ready to spend on upgrading your RAM too. I learned that the hard way—and I stayed on Logic 9 point sumfin-sumfin.
    Thanks for that, Mavericks was a mistake but I maxxed out my RAM when I bought the MacBook so it's not been fatal. Upgrading to an SSD has been a breath of fresh air though!
    shut up and play yer guitar...
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 14,273
    Rep Power 536871513

I'm still on Logic 9 and PT 10 and no, I would not perform any major upgrades in the middle of a "work streak". I did get the updates for my Slate plugins (including the Virtual Mix Rack) and even that caused a bit of headache with ongoing mixes.

otek
    "Tube color is not the 'thing'. Why would the most linear amplifying device have a color?" - Jonte Knif