Owns and wears an Elvis jumpsuit Abstruse Absquatulater
    Join Date Apr 2008
    Location JHB, RSA
    Posts 2,383
    Rep Power 536871100

Default To be scene and not heard

So this happened over Easter weekend here in Johannesburg:

http://www.timeslive.co.za/entertain...lip-sync-stunt

There are a whole slew of topics here to discuss, the most obvious being the ethical issue of charging $100 for a ticket only to lip sync your way through the show. Can and should artists get away with this any more? Clearly people are feeling cheated.

Personally I think it's wrong. If you're a real artist, surely that's not performing? All it does is make you a panderer to a certain social identity - a scene.

It makes me think of Milli Vanilli and how outraged everyone was back then. Now it's fine. There is a greater discussion here as well that extends to the making of records and editing and autotuning your way to success.

I wish the mainstream would start supporting acts that actually PLAY their music and sing with their REAL voices as opposed to lapping up this vacous, empty "music" "performed" by these kind of "artists".

What a joke.

Cheers
    Originally Posted by Slipperman
    Deny everything and claim it's all "Haas-Moeller and Graffenfrimitz" MICING techniques and CAN'T be removed from the tracks without damaging the stereo field due to the "Von Stauffenberg Effect".
    Pan Music Productions
    http://gregbester.xp3.biz
    Comfortably dumb Commissioner of Rock and Roll!
    Join Date Jun 2008
    Location Krautistan
    Posts 1,261
    Rep Power 536871061

Default Re: To be scene and not heard

I wish the mainstream would start supporting acts that actually PLAY their music and sing with their REAL voices as opposed to lapping up this vacous, empty "music" "performed" by these kind of "artists".

What a joke.
    The bitter truth is:
    The mainstream still spends enough money on these kind of jokes to make this a worthwhile business model.
    As long as apple can sell smartphones with a profit margin of nearly 70% the mainstream will swallow that.

All the best,
    the keks
    Cape 8: Team Millionaires, Team Relentless

The accordion - sometimes an instrument .... often just a bag pipe gone wrong.
    (Immanuel)
    Join Date Apr 2010
    Location Second largest French City
    Posts 1,267
    Rep Power 536871039

People paid to see the Monkees, as well....
    The emotionally and tonally deaf cannot hear the important things and never will. They will scream to the heavens the rest of us are wrong and produce useless papers to prove their point.
    Anybody claiming to be the first probably wasn't!
    www.timvandeven.com
    Being Over There Now Retired phone sex worker... no more hang-ups!
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location here I am, you're looking at m
    Posts 3,622
    Rep Power 536871159

People paid to see the Monkees, as well....
    Yeah, but the Monkees actually played their instruments when it came time to throw down on stage. Not to say they didn't have help—I seem to recall they toured with a drummer so that Micky could front from time to time—but from the concert footage I've seen of them in their heyday, there was no pre-recorded augmentation.
    Join Date Apr 2010
    Location Second largest French City
    Posts 1,267
    Rep Power 536871039

Yeah, but the Monkees actually played their instruments when it came time to throw down on stage. Not to say they didn't have help—I seem to recall they toured with a drummer so that Micky could front from time to time—but from the concert footage I've seen of them in their heyday, there was no pre-recorded augmentation.
    Did they not tour with a backing band.... maybe Nesmith played and the other guys sang.
    Last edited by ivmike; April 8th, 2015 at 05:26 AM.
    The emotionally and tonally deaf cannot hear the important things and never will. They will scream to the heavens the rest of us are wrong and produce useless papers to prove their point.
    Anybody claiming to be the first probably wasn't!
    www.timvandeven.com
    Owns and wears an Elvis jumpsuit Abstruse Absquatulater
    Join Date Apr 2008
    Location JHB, RSA
    Posts 2,383
    Rep Power 536871100

The bitter truth is:
    The mainstream still spends enough money on these kind of jokes to make this a worthwhile business model.
    As long as apple can sell smartphones with a profit margin of nearly 70% the mainstream will swallow that.

All the best,
    the keks
    Sadly, you are correct. Pop. What a black hole of shite.

Cheers
    Originally Posted by Slipperman
    Deny everything and claim it's all "Haas-Moeller and Graffenfrimitz" MICING techniques and CAN'T be removed from the tracks without damaging the stereo field due to the "Von Stauffenberg Effect".
    Pan Music Productions
    http://gregbester.xp3.biz