Bovine Scatologist Loves British 'Cuisine'
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Location In my happy place!
    Posts 1,630
    Rep Power 536871090

Sushi It finally hit me on how to record instrument MIDI data and Smart Controls at the same time

I was having a bitch of a time recording EVB3 drawbars and other smart controls while I was playing a piece. Then it finally hit me: turn on automation. I set it to Write and all of a sudden, all of my smart controls were recording and playing back properly while the notes were playing.

I feel stupid... or the process is stupid.

Or both...

At least with 10.1, I can record those automations to the region and move them around with the notes.

jord
    Real guitar heroes play real guitars!!

Jordan%20L.%20Chilcott
    Famous Celebuskank Former African Dictator
    Join Date Nov 2011
    Location Charlotte, NC
    Posts 2,159
    Rep Power 536871048

Default Re: It finally hit me on how to record instrument MIDI data and Smart Controls at the same time

Hmm...that's slick.

Must try it....
    Mike
    Hates these rank titles! Iconoclastic plastic
    Join Date Nov 2009
    Location Ich bin Maroon!
    Posts 214
    Rep Power 301990044

Default Re: It finally hit me on how to record instrument MIDI data and Smart Controls at the same time

Possibly related but I tried recording MIDI & audio the other night from a Korg beastie using Logic 9 on an 2010 MBP with midisport 2x2 (latest drivers for Mavericks) and my Apogee Duet.

Using 2 tracks - one audio, one external MIDI - both armed I started recording. I captured the audio part fine but the midi would only "record" when I had the track selected (highlighted in the arrange window). I tried using a Software Instrument track and got slightly better results but still missed some parts.

Does this sound weird? Its the first time I've tried it in many moons!

Oh and midi tracks can also be enabled for 'takes'. Stupid N00b me finds this out AFTER the session!
    shut up and play yer guitar...
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 1,630
    Rep Power 536871090

Doesn't sound related.

I do MIDI and audio at the same time, when I'm noodling with an idea, playing the (virtual) piano and singing. Usually, you have to ensure that the Record button is locked on record on the MIDI track.

Smart controls have been a totally different beast since its introduction in LPX. They're the macro controls I had always wanted. I'm still learning what I can do with them, so I probably shouldn't bitch too hard about it.

jord

Jordan%20L.%20Chilcott
    Join Date Dec 2006
    Posts 1,630
    Rep Power 536871090

Well, I found one thing about recording automation with your region at the same time: You can only record track automation and not region automation.

At first I thought, how stupid, and then I thought perhaps it was because the region itself hasn't been recorded as of yet. I guess in its own way, it makes sense.

jord

Jordan%20L.%20Chilcott