Location JHB, RSA
    Posts 2,385
    Rep Power 536871102

Default Avid S6L

Anyone excited for this console?

http://www.avid.com/US/products/Venue-S6L

Cheers
    Originally Posted by Slipperman
    Deny everything and claim it's all "Haas-Moeller and Graffenfrimitz" MICING techniques and CAN'T be removed from the tracks without damaging the stereo field due to the "Von Stauffenberg Effect".
    Pan Music Productions
    http://gregbester.xp3.biz
    Roadside Outcast Dept. Short-rope candidate
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location On location...
    Posts 5,071
    Rep Power 536871210

Default Re: Avid S6L

Any SR company that hasn't paid off their Profile or D-Show probably isn't.

I understand that there are a few gotchas regarding compatibility when trying to load show files from Profiles and D-Shows, and that there issues going the other way.

Until those issues - particularly going from D-Show/Profile to S6L - are resolved, it will be a non-starter for most.

If compatibility is not an issue, then it looks quite exciting.

The corollary to that is that there will probably be a large number of Profiles hitting the used market, and therefore the price will fall out of bed.

Cheers,
    Tim
    Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity.

The best radio mic system that money can buy is ALMOST as good as a $20 cable.

One of the most important things to remember about sound is:
    'Sucks' is always conducted better than 'Rules'. - Pimp-X wisdom

Never underestimate the power of stupid - Blackie C (RIP)

Ego and talent seldom go hand in hand... Talent and humble on the other hand... - Zoesch

Weedy ignores this simple bit of glaring obviousness because he is an "ELECTRIC BASS GUITARIST"(coughcough)
    and views the kick drum as a "bass riff rhythmic pattern suggestion generator" - Slipperman
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Bexley, OH
    Posts 2,346
    Rep Power 536871119

Looks like a nice console. I'll be on a Profile all summer, the venue owns a pair and for the foreseeable future thats my ride. Now I have to wait for a tour to come through with the latest and greatest to get a taste.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Songwriter Gulch
    Posts 10,141
    Rep Power 536871379

...I understand that there are a few gotchas regarding compatibility when trying to load show files from Profiles and D-Shows, and that there issues going the other way...
    How can that be? They say it isn't available yet.
    Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Georgetown Masters 615 254-3233
    Interview
    Artists are the gatekeepers of truth!- Paul Robeson
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location On location...
    Posts 5,071
    Rep Power 536871210

A couple of the Avid Live guys have been posting over at a couple of Live Sound forums.

Now I did slightly over-simplify/get it wrong.

Apparently the S6L and Profile are fully backwards and forwards compatible in terms of desk setup...despite the S6L having a larger buss count. It hurts my head trying to figure that one out.

Where the problems arise is in plugin compatibility...which by their own admission isn't quite fully figured out yet...especially as it relates to Waves and AAX-DSP.

Cheers,
    Tim

Ego and talent seldom go hand in hand... Talent and humble on the other hand... - Zoesch

Weedy ignores this simple bit of glaring obviousness because he is an "ELECTRIC BASS GUITARIST"(coughcough)
    and views the kick drum as a "bass riff rhythmic pattern suggestion generator" - Slipperman
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Songwriter Gulch
    Posts 10,141
    Rep Power 536871379

They announced HDX and SoundGrid DSP cards at NAB which I assume aren't ready yet.
    Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Georgetown Masters 615 254-3233
    Interview
    Artists are the gatekeepers of truth!- Paul Robeson
    Join Date Mar 2007
    Location Hellsinki, Finland
    Posts 134
    Rep Power 210571

I had couple of friends use these on a quite big tour in Europe recently. As far as i know it was pretty much hassle free run. One touch screen died and had to be replaced and that's it. There's still a lot of stuff that is waiting to be implemented and for me Waves is necessary so won't jump on this console before I see how it works out.

I will have extensive demo this wednesday. I used to love Profile 5 years ago but moved into using DiGiCos.
    Little River Band on The Run Internet Meme
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,409
    Rep Power 536871254

Sounds like a great concept. I'd love to have a native DSP-card for my Mac BTW. Looking into Soundgrid.
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,778
    Rep Power 536871398

I had couple of friends use these on a quite big tour in Europe recently. As far as i know it was pretty much hassle free run. One touch screen died and had to be replaced and that's it. There's still a lot of stuff that is waiting to be implemented and for me Waves is necessary so won't jump on this console before I see how it works out.

I will have extensive demo this wednesday. I used to love Profile 5 years ago but moved into using DiGiCos.
    So how's that work out when the touch screen you rely on goes out in the middle of a gig?
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 5,361
    Rep Power 536871219

So how's that work out when the touch screen you rely on goes out in the middle of a gig?
    Same way if a bunch of channels on a regular desk dies?
    And actually, S6L has multiple screens and still has knobs and faders.
    Also, because it is digital desc, one can always park channels on any part of the desk. So one screen dying won't be a critical problem.
    When in doubt, mumble!

EVERYTHING SOUNDS LIKE SHIT IF YA LISTEN LONG AND HARD ENOUGH.
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,778
    Rep Power 536871398

Same way if a bunch of channels on a regular desk dies?
    And actually, S6L has multiple screens and still has knobs and faders.
    Also, because it is digital desc, one can always park channels on any part of the desk. So one screen dying won't be a critical problem.

Or as critical a problem, anyway. It's still a drag having to reshuffle your console layout in the middle of a performance.

The thing is, on a good analog desk you generally don't have problems that affect entire blocks of channels.
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location On location...
    Posts 5,071
    Rep Power 536871210

The thing is, on a good analog desk you generally don't have problems that affect entire blocks of channels.
    No...it'll be something like the power supply going which takes out the whole console.

Or - as has happened to me - losing an entire aux or 2...across the whole console.

Things go faulty in analogue and digital.

What separates the wheat from the chaff is how you recover from it.

Cheers,
    Tim