Thread: The weedywet 4-5 mic drum technique

Has Many Personal Intergritys Expensive Boat Anchor
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,661
    Rep Power 536871394

Default The weedywet 4-5 mic drum technique

I get a lot of questions about this, so I thought I'd bounce some examples from a recent (ish) session

of course, it's not always just 4 mics, but I often only need the basic 4 or 5 in a mix and so I thought I'd show the differences.

We start with a mic in the bass drum (SM7) and a mic on the snare (KM84), with a mic positioned in front of the hanger toms and above looking down from perhaps 1.5 to 2 feet away... that's the Right Side mic (and here it is a U87).
    It's counter part on the Left Side, is another 87 off to the side of the floor tom(s) and looking in across the kit at the snare, about a foot off the drum.
    this puts them roughly the same distance from the snare, but I am by no means anal about it.

1) in the first clip it is just these four mics.
    2) in the next, we add a mono room mic... it's usually an STC/Coles 4038, but in this case it's an RCA 77dx. Perhaps 6 feet in front of the kit.
    3) next we add a mono 'overhead', another 77dx.
    4) and lastly the same thing but with a compressor on the mono room.

I hope someone finds this useful for discussion!

I am fully prepared for the inevitable "it won't work for me because of my (fill in the blank: drummer, room, "genre" <ugh>, astrological sign, intolerance to gluten, etc.)"
    4 mics.wav
    4 mics with mono room.wav
    4 mics with mono room and mono OH.wav
    4 mics with compressed mono room and mono OH_1.wav
    Last edited by weedywet; May 7th, 2016 at 06:41 AM.
    Surfing the net at work every day! Throws like a girl
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Location Milwaukee, WI
    Posts 323
    Rep Power 402653369

Default Re: The weedywet 4-5 mic drum technique

This is great. Invaluable information presented in a clear way. Thanks so much.

Just so I understand, have you done some compressing and eq'ing of the mics in 4 mics.wav?
    jdier - home recordist
    my band is R. Mutt
    some Live Videos from shows I have been to
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,661
    Rep Power 536871394

there is some eq going in, but no compression except on the room mic in the last example
    Join Date Oct 2011
    Location Baltimore, MD
    Posts 800
    Rep Power 184549529

Thanks for posting. I like to record drums with one or two mics a lot of times, but lately I have been wondering how to best add a stereo image while still keeping the mics minimal, and without relying too much on close mics. So I might try this out soon.

Do you have any pictures of something like this? I know you've posted some before of your drum setups, but are you saying that if you look at the drums from the audience perspective, the 'Right' mic is actually a little left of/or out in front of the snare? [i.e., not to the right of the snare]
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Songwriter Gulch
    Posts 10,132
    Rep Power 536871376

The nice thing is that you don't have to use them all.
    Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Georgetown Masters 615 254-3233
    Interview
    Artists are the gatekeepers of truth!- Paul Robeson
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 14,273
    Rep Power 536871514

The nice thing is that you don't have to use them all.
    I often record a few extras, especially when I record a lot of songs in one go, and/or I have a feeling that I may need to alter things a bit down the line on a per-song basis.

One or two may be "Factor X" mics that may sound cool on certain things (a cheap dynamic in a large glass flask is a recent example). The problem I have with recording many mics for "options" is that sometimes, I get unduly attached to something that might have been best to keep out of a certain song altogether. Sometimes that option ends up confusing me rather than helping me.

otek
    "Tube color is not the 'thing'. Why would the most linear amplifying device have a color?" - Jonte Knif
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,661
    Rep Power 536871394

I"m not usually big on "options".

if the highhat is a tiny bit low (for example) it's not going to ruin the record, odds are.

I will sometimes use that mono overhead just to narrow the stereo image, if I feel that's warranted, without panning in the L and R mics. Of course the mono room also does that, but I might not always want it 'roomier' depending on the room in question.

in the example posted, I actually mixed it with the room in about that balance, but none of the OH in the final mix.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,661
    Rep Power 536871394

Do you have any pictures of something like this? I know you've posted some before of your drum setups, but are you saying that if you look at the drums from the audience perspective, the 'Right' mic is actually a little left of/or out in front of the snare? [i.e., not to the right of the snare]
    the right side (as you look at the drums) mic is more in front of the kit looking in, rather than all the way on the right (HH) side.

I thought I had a pic from the actual session in those clips, but I can't seem to find it.
    this is the gist though:
    Name:  drums 2.jpg
Views: 1280
Size:  50.8 KBName:  drums 1.jpg
Views: 1274
Size:  51.3 KBName:  room mic view.jpg
Views: 1279
Size:  62.2 KB
    Middle Handicapper...short game needs work Sqweels like a pig!
    Join Date Dec 2012
    Location Rome, Italy
    Posts 1,230
    Rep Power 536871005

Wow, thanks Weedy!
    This is great info...
    I'll listen to the samples as soon as I'll be back in my studio.

My Mixes on Soundcloud

With great monitors its easy to hear and fix problems but hard to enhance things that already sound good.

With hyped monitors, everything sounds good so you don't hear the problems.

With bad monitors, it seems easy to make absolutely anything sound better because you are really fixing the sound of the monitors rather than the sound of the recording.
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location nc
    Posts 1,503
    Rep Power 536871083

Default The weedywet 4-5 mic drum technique

The "Tom" mics, those are in cardioid? Or omni?
    I'm a fan of cheese!
    Join Date Mar 2012
    Location The Great White North
    Posts 431
    Rep Power 536870988

Very useful; thanks for posting this!
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,661
    Rep Power 536871394

The "Tom" mics, those are in cardioid? Or omni?
    everything is cardioid except the figure-of-eight ribbon room mic (and ribbon overhead if used; which isn't there in the set up in the photos but is in the clips)
    Surfing the net at work every day! Throws like a girl
    Join Date Jan 2007
    Location Milwaukee, WI
    Posts 323
    Rep Power 402653369

Again, thank you for taking the time to share.

Why the blanket on the kick? Keep the kick out of the other mics, or keep the other drums out of the kick mic, or something else?
    jdier - home recordist
    my band is R. Mutt
    some Live Videos from shows I have been to
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,661
    Rep Power 536871394

Yes. It's to keep the bass drum out of the room mic primarily.

I usually like the bass drum to sound closer.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 11,595
    Rep Power 536871425

I've been dealing with room mic tracks that I wish had less kick drum in them. It's pretty time consuming and challenging when I have to get the drums sound out of mostly overheads and room mics and there is so much kick mic in those tracks that I can't process the kick without processing everything else.

I have a separate (inside) kick drum track that I can make sound perfect (to my standard) but there's little room left for it.

To get the drums sounding pretty good (which at first seemed impossible) required quite a bit of trial and error with EQ and compression.

The next time I record drums, I'm doing the tunnel thing.
    Man! You have GOT to try a hit of this RANGE SUNSHINE!

IMTBO = In My Thoroughly Biased Opinion
    CMIIW = Correct Me If I'm Wrong
    Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
    If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle
    Join Date Dec 2013
    Location Danmark
    Posts 231
    Rep Power 102554280

But this isn't quite "the tunnel" thing, is it? That's when you place another kick drum without heads in front of the main kick, and use it as a resonator, is it not?

I often use a blanket to cover the kick drum, if I use a ribbon or LDC in FOK. If it's a live session, it would be to minimize the bleed of other instruments such as guitars into the fok mic. If it's a layering session, I might be concerned with cymbals bleeding into the fok mic. Can't recall it being an issue with to much kick in the rooms...

@weedy: I've often had problems with the mic on the floor tom side, picking up too much tom, to be able to use it as an "overhead" eg. general balanced representation of the overall kit sound. Of course placement according to drum and drummer is key, but sometimes it just doesn't seem to work for me. Have you encountered similar problems?
    Highway to Hell is for Children Area 51 gardener
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 5,348
    Rep Power 536871217

everything is cardioid except the figure-of-eight ribbon room mic (and ribbon overhead if used; which isn't there in the set up in the photos but is in the clips)
    I notice that the room mic is quite high, do you always set it like that, or do you sometimes place it closer to the floor?
    When in doubt, mumble!

EVERYTHING SOUNDS LIKE SHIT IF YA LISTEN LONG AND HARD ENOUGH.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 11,595
    Rep Power 536871425

It's hard to tell how high that mic is off the floor.

It looks (so incredibly) high, but it also looks bigger than the kit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	op_2 (1).jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	12955

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	op_2 (2).jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	12954
    Man! You have GOT to try a hit of this RANGE SUNSHINE!

IMTBO = In My Thoroughly Biased Opinion
    CMIIW = Correct Me If I'm Wrong
    Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
    If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 14,273
    Rep Power 536871514

But this isn't quite "the tunnel" thing, is it? That's when you place another kick drum without heads in front of the main kick, and use it as a resonator, is it not?
    The "tunnel" is usually done with packing blankets or similar, supported by for example mic stands, chairs, or even a drum shell. The idea of the tunnel is most often to isolate an "outside" kick mic from cymbal leakage or room reflectivity. Sometimes, this mic is placed several feet from the kick drum - depending on the tuning and size of the drum, low frequencies may need a little distance to fully develop.

What you are referring to is more like a "resonator" drum, typically a larger kick with one very thin head, tuned in such a way as to create a low, "singing" sustain on the kick (and in part, by nature of how transmission works, on the whole kit).

otek
    "Tube color is not the 'thing'. Why would the most linear amplifying device have a color?" - Jonte Knif
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,661
    Rep Power 536871394

@weedy: I've often had problems with the mic on the floor tom side, picking up too much tom, to be able to use it as an "overhead" eg. general balanced representation of the overall kit sound. Of course placement according to drum and drummer is key, but sometimes it just doesn't seem to work for me. Have you encountered similar problems?

not really,
    only if there are a ton of cymbals set up, in which case I probably come in closer to the drum