Thread: The weedywet 4-5 mic drum technique

Voice like Marcel Marceau Waiting for his millions from Nigeria
    Join Date Nov 2011
    Location Midlands UK
    Posts 255
    Rep Power 536870986

Default Re: The weedywet 4-5 mic drum technique

Isanyoneelsehavingthespacebarnotworkinguntilyoupre ssenterproblem?

In a wee change of direction...

What do we think about putting two mics on a kick drum? I've been mixing a project where I stuck an RE20 out front in a tent of blankets, and put the one mic I had left - an Audix I5 - in the drum close to the batter head to get more clicky transient.

I don't like it.

It took me a while to work it out, but I prefer the sound with just the RE-20. It sounds like a kick drum. When I use the two mics I'm having to EQ them both differently to get something usable and complimentary from each mic, and that seems to change the phase relationships and make it seem less real. With just one mic, it sounds real when I close my eyes. Even if I have to add 10dB at 8kHz to get the amount of click I want, I'd rather do that than even sneak in the I5, because for anything it adds it takes more away.

Obviously there are a million variables that can generate this outcome from shit mic placement to bad mic choice to not tuning or dampening the kick right. But I'm just wondering what experiences you guys have had.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Songwriter Gulch
    Posts 10,139
    Rep Power 536871377

I stopped the tents and other separation bs when I realized using a front of kit mike as the main pickup and the kick mikes as fills sounded better.
    Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Georgetown Masters 615 254-3233
    Interview
    Artists are the gatekeepers of truth!- Paul Robeson
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 11,612
    Rep Power 536871427

I've had cases where I wished the room mics had separation from the kick.
    Man! You have GOT to try a hit of this RANGE SUNSHINE!

IMTBO = In My Thoroughly Biased Opinion
    CMIIW = Correct Me If I'm Wrong
    Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
    If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle
    Join Date Oct 2011
    Location Baltimore, MD
    Posts 800
    Rep Power 184549529

I stopped the tents and other separation bs when I realized using a front of kit mike as the main pickup and the kick mikes as fills sounded better.
    I'd be very interested in hearing more details about how you use this setup if possible. I don't record drums too often, but when I do, for the last few years I tend to rely mostly on one LDC FOK mic. Usually placed in between the top of the kick and cymbals as far as height, and also trying to align the diaphragm so that it makes a straight line across the center of the kick and snare.

I feel like I've had better results that way than anything else I've tried, but I'm always open to experimenting and trying/learning new things.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 10,139
    Rep Power 536871377

I've only been recording session drummers so I set up every mike I think I might want and sort it out after the fact.
    Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Interview
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 11,612
    Rep Power 536871427

Good advice!

Lately I've found the under-the-snare mike to be a helpful addition.

Sometimes it isn't desirable, sometimes it's a missing key ingredient that makes a definite, positive difference.

Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.

Greedle
    Has Many Personal Intergritys Expensive Boat Anchor
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,663
    Rep Power 536871394

I've only been recording session drummers so I set up every mike I think I might want and sort it out after the fact.
    I think the key phrase there is "I think I might want"

That's very different than the people who "mic everything", perhaps multiple ways, and then hope it all works later.

But I find for my brain, that I need to hear it all working 'right' for me, with the whole rest of the band, in the moment, and know what I need to change, if anything, right then and there.

Having said that, I will certainly decide after the fact to use the overhead or not, or how much room mic to use, etc.

But I don't feel comfortable having wildly divergent "options' lurking somewhere (e.g. under tom mics, or second bass drum mics, etc.)
    Last edited by weedywet; November 5th, 2016 at 06:13 AM.
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location nc
    Posts 1,507
    Rep Power 536871084

What do we think about putting two mics on a kick drum? I've been mixing a project where I stuck an RE20 out front in a tent of blankets, and put the one mic I had left - an Audix I5 - in the drum close to the batter head to get more clicky transient.

I don't like it.

It took me a while to work it out, but I prefer the sound with just the RE-20. It sounds like a kick drum. When I use the two mics I'm having to EQ them both differently to get something usable and complimentary from each mic, and that seems to change the phase relationships and make it seem less real. With just one mic, it sounds real when I close my eyes. Even if I have to add 10dB at 8kHz to get the amount of click I want, I'd rather do that than even sneak in the I5, because for anything it adds it takes more away.

Obviously there are a million variables that can generate this outcome from shit mic placement to bad mic choice to not tuning or dampening the kick right. But I'm just wondering what experiences you guys have had.
    Chuck that shitty one out, if it sounds better with out it.
    Only problem is, adding that much high end to a kick out mic may make the cymbals sound like poo, especially if there is anything more then very mild compression involved.
    Ymmv
    A good kick out really is a much better, more natural sounding position.
    Again, ymmv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm a fan of cheese!
    Join Date Sep 2009
    Location Quake City
    Posts 11,775
    Rep Power 536871397

I don't like it.

I hate clicky kick drums.
    http://www.johnnyoklahoma.com/

Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.
    Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
    The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
    Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White????
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 11,612
    Rep Power 536871427

I like the click for some things, Rock specifically. If you're talking about the kind of Metal in which the kick is mostly click, I'm not crazy about that either, but it boils down to a matter of taste.

And I can't listen to too much music that requires brushes on the snare -- so there!

Greedle
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Posts 10,139
    Rep Power 536871377

I think the key phrase there is "I think I might want"

...I find for my brain, that I need to hear it all working 'right' for me, with the whole rest of the band, in the moment, and know what I need to change, if anything, right then and there.
    In my case, we needed to nail four to six tracks in three hours. I started doing this working in studios where I didn't trust the monitoring but knew a 57 from across the room would sound better than most with the drummer we were using. I found much to my surprise that different setups worked better for different songs. I was also surprised to hear an overhead with just a touch of under-snare with the polarity flipped could sound incredible.

This method is only practical in digital. Analog gets castrated by gap scatter so most of the drum mixing needs to happen in the console.
    Bob's room 615 562-4346
    Interview
    Join Date Apr 2007
    Location nc
    Posts 1,507
    Rep Power 536871084

Also check your phase, and some times you need to face murder the 1.5khz (approx) area in an internal Kik mic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm a fan of cheese!
    Join Date Nov 2011
    Location Midlands UK
    Posts 255
    Rep Power 536870986

Only problem is, adding that much high end to a kick out mic may make the cymbals sound like poo, especially if there is anything more then very mild compression involved.
    If

Rarely compress kick mics much. Actually, the den cut out a phenomenal amount of spill, was quite surprised how effective it was. Started with a den of 3 seat cushions for structural stability, here's the first one in place along with mic position;

Name:  23591174362_8c1a5a5545.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  43.5 KB

Then the duvet covered the gaps.

Name:  22955552213_5474220c20.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  54.1 KB

And the result is that cymbals just aren't much of an issue in the kick mic, which is nice.

I hate clicky kick drums.

Shhhhh! They might hear you! They're very sensitive.
    Join Date Jan 2015
    Location Northern Colorado
    Posts 971
    Rep Power 536870972

How does the den/tunnel affect your room mic or out front mic? Does it unbalance the overall kit sound? Is the cure for that just adding in the kick mic as needed, or does using a tunnle like that change what your options are for the other mics.

-r
    Sign Here

X________________________________________________
    Join Date Nov 2011
    Location Midlands UK
    Posts 255
    Rep Power 536870986

How does the den/tunnel affect your room mic or out front mic? Does it unbalance the overall kit sound? Is the cure for that just adding in the kick mic as needed, or does using a tunnle like that change what your options are for the other mics.

-r

To be honest, I don't think it's a major difference for this production. The kick is slightly muffled, but the low end goes straight through through the blankets anyway. Maybe the kick is diffused across in the stereo image, but since I'm getting most of its tone from the kick mic I don't think it matters too much.

If I was mostly wanting the kick's tone as part of the overall capture from the kit/ room mics, I suppose I'd have to make a judgement call.
    Join Date Oct 2011
    Location Baltimore, MD
    Posts 800
    Rep Power 184549529

maybe this musical instruments and very nice
    Sure...
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 14,275
    Rep Power 536871515

How does the den/tunnel affect your room mic or out front mic?
    I find that I often like the kick mic slightly attenuated/muffled in the room mics.

otek
    "Tube color is not the 'thing'. Why would the most linear amplifying device have a color?" - Jonte Knif