Default Re: The weedywet 4-5 mic drum technique

Ahahahaha!
    Join Date Dec 2013
    Location Danmark
    Posts 231
    Rep Power 102554279

Well, she was kinda dirty. Even for a one night stander... 😎
    From New Jersey...and admits it! Familiar with term 'Court appointed attorney'
    Join Date Oct 2011
    Location Baltimore, MD
    Posts 790
    Rep Power 184549528

the right side (as you look at the drums) mic is more in front of the kit looking in, rather than all the way on the right (HH) side.

I thought I had a pic from the actual session in those clips, but I can't seem to find it.
    this is the gist though:
    Thanks for the pics and all the explanations. It's a little hard to tell exactly what's going on, but I think I get the idea.

I'm going to try the blanket thing out next time I record drums too.
    Has Many Personal Intergritys Expensive Boat Anchor
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,656
    Rep Power 536871393

Thanks for the pics and all the explanations. It's a little hard to tell exactly what's going on, but I think I get the idea.
    is it?
    how so? What's unclear to you?
    Join Date Oct 2011
    Location Baltimore, MD
    Posts 790
    Rep Power 184549528

It just took me a little while of looking at the pictures to get a sense of the 'big picture'.

I guess the only thing I think I'm still pretty unsure about is how/where you position the snare mic.

Not that I need to - or could - copy exactly what you do, I'm just mostly curious about your reasoning for doing certain things.
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,656
    Rep Power 536871393

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	royal snare.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	12960Name:  pie snare 1.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  51.2 KBName:  pie snare 2.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  43.6 KB

the reasoning is essentially a left and right 'view' of the overall kit, with special attention being to get a good picture of the tom spread and cymbals.

then the snare mic and bass drum mic are both fairly close in on their respective targets, so that these things can be added into the centre picture as much as desired. (usually a good amount)
    Middle Handicapper...short game needs work Real purdy mouth
    Join Date Dec 2012
    Location Rome, Italy
    Posts 1,218
    Rep Power 536871003

I've finally listened to the samples.

Needless to say I love how these drums sound. This seems to be the drum sound I'm trying to get, and I'm sure I want to try this on a record I'll track soon.

My only doubt is where did you place the Overhead mic.

I'm not requesting a picture, I think I can figure it out just with a text explanation.

Thanks WW!!!

My Mixes on Soundcloud

With great monitors its easy to hear and fix problems but hard to enhance things that already sound good.

With hyped monitors, everything sounds good so you don't hear the problems.

With bad monitors, it seems easy to make absolutely anything sound better because you are really fixing the sound of the monitors rather than the sound of the recording.
    Join Date Apr 2010
    Location Second largest French City
    Posts 1,267
    Rep Power 536871038

This is a very helpful thread; thanks, Weedy!

Query: do you prefer a muffled snare drum for tracking?
    The emotionally and tonally deaf cannot hear the important things and never will. They will scream to the heavens the rest of us are wrong and produce useless papers to prove their point.
    Anybody claiming to be the first probably wasn't!
    www.timvandeven.com
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,656
    Rep Power 536871393

My only doubt is where did you place the Overhead mic.

when its used (in most cases it wasn't!) it's centred over the kit and looking straight down... from about 3 feet over the drummer's head
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location New York
    Posts 10,656
    Rep Power 536871393

This is a very helpful thread; thanks, Weedy!

really depends on what the desired effect is.

but often I like a little... I actually usually prefer a tiny bit of tissue and masking tape on one side to heavier damping, even though one of those pictures used a "doughnut"
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts 11,545
    Rep Power 536871422

Probably not while using those brushes. But there apppears to be a transparent ring sitting on the beater head of the snare. What is that? [edit] Just read the above post. "donut"

And how many faux leopards had to die to make that rug?
    Man! You have GOT to try a hit of this RANGE SUNSHINE!

IMTBO = In My Thoroughly Biased Opinion
    CMIIW = Correct Me If I'm Wrong
    Never underestimate the amount of contempt a failed musician has for those of us who are still trying.
    If the party's good enough, you can actually suck to a remarkable degree.

Greedle
    Join Date Oct 2011
    Location caprica
    Posts 1,550
    Rep Power 536871028

One thing I am taking away from the clips is how the drums already sound, basically, "finished". A lot of things that people are trying to achieve with processing can already be found in the raw tracks. It really works. Really helpful.
    TAP TO MASTER
    Little River Band on The Run Internet Meme
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location State of Denial
    Posts 6,407
    Rep Power 536871251

I just stumbled over my first try out in the newly built studio from 2010. 3x4m room, corner bass traps and an absorber over the drums. Beta 52 as kick drum, sm57 for snare, CAD E-100 for FlTom, two condensers for rack toms (don't remember), and two LA CM-3 for overhead plus a Brauner Valvet for room.

The toms are recorded facing the side in the middle. I feel I get more than enough skin from the OHs. And the toms would need some taming of the booms.

First the studio almost burned down, then after a few extra months of repair we recorded some vocals with Otek and Vulkan, had a great bluesband over for beta testing and had to sell everything and relocate to South America.

Straight off the bat.
    Join Date Oct 2011
    Location Baltimore, MD
    Posts 790
    Rep Power 184549528

the reasoning is essentially a left and right 'view' of the overall kit, with special attention being to get a good picture of the tom spread and cymbals.

then the snare mic and bass drum mic are both fairly close in on their respective targets, so that these things can be added into the centre picture as much as desired. (usually a good amount)
    Thanks, lots of good food for thought here. Now I wish I had the chance to record drums more often so I could try some of this stuff out.

Of the four clips I think 4 mics with a mono room is my favorite, so I'll probably try a similar 5 mic setup next time I track drums.
    goes looking for thin ice to walk on You ain't a beauty but hey you're alright.
    Join Date Jan 2010
    Location In the county
    Posts 79
    Rep Power 268435652

Don't wanna make a left turn, but I thought I'd post this clip, because it's very similar to what Weedy is describing in this post.The main difference is 4 of the mic's mic's are ribbons. Which is what worked perfectly for what I wanted on this particular song...
    But I must say, most of the time I'm using 2 old 87's on the toms, in the positions shown in this thread, a D-30 or FET 47 on kick, and either and KM-84
    (thanks William for that idea) or a Beyer 201 on snare.
    Add a mono (or stereo if so inclined) room, and you're done!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7COH7G4TO0
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 14,273
    Rep Power 536871513

Don't wanna make a left turn, but I thought I'd post this clip, because it's very similar to what Weedy is describing in this post.
    That's a whole lot more similar to what I tend to get sonically with WWs technique. Now, the guy is playing rakes, so one would expect a little less low end in general from the toms.

Nice sounds!

otek
    "Tube color is not the 'thing'. Why would the most linear amplifying device have a color?" - Jonte Knif
    Famous Celebuskank Former African Dictator
    Join Date Nov 2011
    Location Charlotte, NC
    Posts 2,159
    Rep Power 536871048

That's a whole lot more similar to what I tend to get sonically with WWs technique. Now, the guy is playing rakes, so one would expect a little less low end in general from the toms.

Nice sounds!

otek
    What are rakes?
    Mike
    Join Date Nov 2006
    Location Sweden
    Posts 14,273
    Rep Power 536871513

EDIT: I had to revise my knowledge base today. (thanks Mike for allowing me to edify myself!)

Rakes, mistakenly referred to by me as indicating drum sticks that look like a taped-up bundle of these little wooden sticks you use to support potted plants, is actually a stiffer-bristle brush, generally made out of plastic. They give a harder, more scratchy sound than regular brushes. What I was in fact describing is actually referred to as Rutes.

Name:  hepta-rods-maple-pair-5158-p.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  15.1 KB

In Sweden, these are often colloquially dubbed blompinnar (literally "flower sticks").

otek
    Last edited by otek; May 6th, 2015 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Personal edification.
    "Tube color is not the 'thing'. Why would the most linear amplifying device have a color?" - Jonte Knif
    Join Date Dec 2012
    Location Rome, Italy
    Posts 1,218
    Rep Power 536871003

EDIT: I had to revise my knowledge base today. (thanks Mike for allowing me to edify myself!)

Rakes, mistakenly referred to by me as indicating drum sticks that look like a taped-up bundle of these little wooden sticks you use to support potted plants, is actually a stiffer-bristle brush, generally made out of plastic. They give a harder, more scratchy sound than regular brushes. What I was in fact describing is actually referred to as Rutes.
    I don't know why, but here in Italy everyone refers to them as Hot Rods

My Mixes on Soundcloud

With great monitors its easy to hear and fix problems but hard to enhance things that already sound good.

With bad monitors, it seems easy to make absolutely anything sound better because you are really fixing the sound of the monitors rather than the sound of the recording.
    Join Date Dec 2012
    Location Rome, Italy
    Posts 1,218
    Rep Power 536871003

Don't wanna make a left turn, but I thought I'd post this clip, because it's very similar to what Weedy is describing in this post.The main difference is 4 of the mic's mic's are ribbons. Which is what worked perfectly for what I wanted on this particular song...
    But I must say, most of the time I'm using 2 old 87's on the toms, in the positions shown in this thread, a D-30 or FET 47 on kick, and either and KM-84
    (thanks William for that idea) or a Beyer 201 on snare.
    Add a mono (or stereo if so inclined) room, and you're done!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7COH7G4TO0
    Nice!
    And Nice studio too.
    Too bad we're so far away, I'd love to record there.

My Mixes on Soundcloud